2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine him getting cash back on the rubbish he's signed?

The clean break has to be made tio bring an end to this nonsense. He's failed and been seen to fail. No doubt his departure will be sold as 'by mutual consent' but we all know what's happened here in the last 3 years.

But my concern now is that the DoF post is scrapped and we have no more of this unwanted bureaucracy.

Im thinking of the the checklist if I was his employer.

1) Wages to value = Yerry, Bernard, Delph?

2) Development of Footballing strategy? - no one style running through multiple levels - let’s be honest Carlo runs the first team.

3) Authorithy in decision making? - if it’s true he was shunted on Silva and Moshiri did the Carlo deal he’s lost authority.

4) Can player trade?. - huge swaths of outgoing finance and wages very little coming the other way.

All that said, I think he’s signed some good young players since Jan onwards, well two really. He’s brought the age profile down, which is good.

Speculation I know, but I wonder is the departure from “the Brands way” in the summer and Carlos lieutenants coming in Is a tacit acknowledgement that a parting of the ways might be coming and understood. Again speculating.

Be interesting.

Im thinking of the the checklist if I was his employer.

1) Wages to value = Yerry, Bernard, Delph?

2) Development of Footballing strategy? - no one style running through multiple levels - let’s be honest Carlo runs the first team.

3) Authorithy in decision making? - if it’s true he was shunted on Silva and Moshiri did the Carlo deal he’s lost authority.

4) Can player trade?. - huge swaths of outgoing finance and wages very little coming the other way.

All that said, I think he’s signed some good young players since Jan onwards, well two really. He’s brought the age profile down, which is good.

Speculation I know, but I wonder is the departure from “the Brands way” in the summer and Carlos lieutenants coming in Is a tacit acknowledgement that a parting of the ways might be coming and understood. Again speculating.

Be interesting.
His signings of Branthwaite and Nkounkou is a case of too little too late.

Whichever way you cut it he's been ineffectual. And, yeah, I think Ancelotti's people are the changing of the guard.

Let's face it, if Brands left no one would be that arsed...apart from you know who and his man crush.

I suppose since he’s been here he has had to do a lot of tidying up of the woeful Koeman/Walsh/Fat Sam era.

We just need that one window to click, hopefully it was the one just gone and Ancelotti can make a proper competitive outfit out of them.

It’s more likely you’re going to sign some duds when we have seemingly had to overhaul the team every season for about 6 years. We shouldn’t have to be signing 6+ players every season. We should really be at a stage now, given all the money we’ve spent, where we’re bringing in one or two quality additions every summer.

I’m officially out of the ‘Out’ camp and onto the fence.

So....... back to Bill negotiating with clubs and players then.

No doubt that Allan and James are only here because of Carlo, but he didn’t sign them. He didn’t do the negotiations to get them through the door.

A DoF does the leg work and the carrying that gets the first team coach the players he wants to play the system he wants to implement.

The role abroad has always been that the coach says the type of player he wants, they discuss options and possibilities and then the DoF goes and gets them.

I think Marcel did a good job of that this year. Real Madrid would appear to think he did a good job too.

His signings of Branthwaite and Nkounkou is a case of too little too late.

Whichever way you cut it he's been ineffectual. And, yeah, I think Ancelotti's people are the changing of the guard.

Let's face it, if Brands left no one would be that arsed...apart from you know who and his man crush.

Takes all types mate.

I think you have to look at the whole thing as a cycle over three years, away from what I pointed out - his strength many would say is recruitment. I think we will actively look to shed his year one signings, Richarlison we might need to sell just for money. Digne is good.

I can’t reconcile his year 2, it’s was so bad. It was a horrible waste or resources that has and is costing the club - if I’m the owner and I’m looking at that I’m thinking WTF. Away from that though it was the impact, I’ll call it what it was after last summer - fans hated the team, they loved the club but hated the team, it was wet wheetabix.

Year 3, I think was brilliant, I’m delighted. The lightening rod is obvious. Its not our DOF. But I come back to this point, we spent 50 million on two central midfielders this summer, the summer before we spent close to 60 on three - there shouldn’t have been a need. Equally, the summer before we signed an attacking midfielder for 28 mill, we shouldn’t have had to sign Jamo. I love our signings this summer but we should never have had to wall paper over the cracks this summer, with the resources spent on the same positions the summer before.

If I was Moshiri these are the angles I’d be exploring and looking for answers on.

Last edited:
He's taken the piss for long enough. The gravy train runs out for him soon.

This club was too big for him. Back to Twente Enschede or Go Ahead Eagles or whatever.

Face it lad you have got it all wrong again , just like with Silva and El Fraudo.
He is on the board , works well with Carlo , and is here for the forseeable.

Takes all types mate.

I think you have to look at the whole thing as a cycle over three years, away from what I pointed out - his strength many would say is recruitment. I think we will actively look to shed his year one signings, Richarlison we might need to sell just for money. Digne is good.

I can’t reconcile his year 2, it’s was so bad. It was a horrible waste or resources that has and is costing the club - if I’m the owner and I’m looking at that I’m thinking WTF. Away from that though it was the impact, I’ll call it what it was after last summer - fans hated the team, they loved the club but hated the team, it was wet wheetabix.

Year 3, I think was brilliant, I’m delighted. The lightening rod is obvious. Its not our DOF. But I come back to this point, we spent 50 million on two central midfielders this summer, the summer before we spent close to 60 on three - there shouldn’t have been a need. Equally, the summer before we signed an attacking midfielder for 28 mill, we shouldn’t have had to sign Jamo. I love our signings this summer but we should never have had to wall paper over the cracks this summer, with the resources spent on the same positions as last.

If I was Moshiri these are the angles I’d be exploring and looking for answers on.
He'd be looking at it exactly the way you have there. At best a mixed bag of performance year on year. No one would believe that the renaissance this summer and early season would have happened with Brands in control of the purse strings or decision making on players.

As said, I dont see the issue now as Brands in or Brands out; I see this as DoF: retain or scrap. For me Walsh and then Brands have underlined it cant work. We need what we have right now: a strong minded manager who knows what he's doing and what he wants in terms of personnel, and one who is too big for the divvy owner to try and back seat drive with.

Face it lad you have got it all wrong again , just like with Silva and El Fraudo.
He is on the board , works well with Carlo , and is here for the forseeable.
Ha Ha Ha. Clueless.

You've just had the early word on Brands' departure today and you cant even hear it.

He'd be looking at it exactly the way you have there. At best a mixed bag of performance year on year. No one would believe that the renaissance this summer and early season would have happened with Brands in control of the purse strings or decision making on players.

As said, I dont see the issue now as Brands in or Brands out; I see this as DoF: retain or scrap. For me Walsh and then Brands have underlined it cant work. We need what we have right now: a strong minded manager who knows what he's doing and what he wants in terms of personnel, and one who is too big for the divvy owner to try and back seat drive with.

It’s a soul searching question on the role, I look at someone like Moyes, Wenger and Ferguson and can see how a strong manager can build a club.

I can see advantages though of some kind of fixer role, whatever the duties under the guidance of the manager. The cult around the DOF by fans, candidates or club isn’t healthy in my opinion. It should be a back of the office low profile job, I’d prefer never to see them or rarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.