Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
am new around, but this kind of thinking got you last season to what? 12? big teams move away from the sooo called paced fast game into possesion /ball control football. why? cuz big teams instill FEAR into the oposition and force em to sit back with the option to make a high presure game ( wich demands high stamina and is nearly imposible to sustain the whole 90 mins).

ancellotis teams are never reactive teams, they are controll and active teams, lets hope everton keep evolving into that behemoth that forces into sumission their oposition and not the kind that hangs over the goal like bats and pray for a sucessful counter.

Everton wont be going to dominate the ball away from home imo - we didnt against Spurs or Palace away from home and we hit Brighton on the break all 2nd half letting them have possession.

We wont have 10 behind the ball like, but we equally wont be going there playing like City or Liverpool with 70%+ possession.

Everton wont be going to dominate the ball away from home imo - we didnt against Spurs or Palace away from home and we hit Brighton on the break all 2nd half letting them have possession.

We wont have 10 behind the ball like, but we equally wont be going there playing like City or Liverpool with 70%+ possession.

well you should. ancelloti sure thinks he can change that aspect of everton, thats why he keeps gomes on the team and replaces him with sigurdsson... he wants to control the ball with gomez- james/sigurdsson . if he wanted vertigo/speed he would never had convinced james to join nor play with gomez.

southhampton is the kind of team to practice that new way of playing , one that will become a necesity once you keep wining, cuz more wins = oposition to naturally start to respect you and fall back. more sooner than later everton will need to learn to crack close defenses via 1-2 combinations or accurate passes to the space rather than counter attacking with 80 mtrs to run.

Yep, despite the running Joke on here, he has not actually been the ref of many Everton games at all, before that palace game, it was chelsea away in march
Arsenal at home before xmas, as well as the arsenal Jagielka game in april 2019, and away to cardiff Feb last year
Good work RM! But did he favour Everton in those games?

well you should. ancelloti sure thinks he can change that aspect of everton, thats why he keeps gomes on the team and replaces him with sigurdsson... he wants to control the ball with gomez- james/sigurdsson . if he wanted vertigo/speed he would never had convinced james to join nor play with gomez.

southhampton is the kind of team to practice that new way of playing , one that will become a necesity once you keep wining, cuz more wins = oposition to naturally start to respect you and fall back. more sooner than later everton will need to learn to crack close defenses via 1-2 combinations or accurate passes to the space rather than counter attacking with 80 mtrs to run.
One key to Everton success when this happens, is to keep strenghtening multiple roads to goal that do not go through James. What we saw in the Colombian team was that after James' amazing performances, teams starting to put extra effort to control him. Press and fouls were suffocating him. Someone said in this forum that trully world-class players know how to move around and still perform under excrutiating pressure. While this may be true, this is not the way I remember this unfolded in the Colombian side.

In all truth, this is not a single-player sport, but a team effort. The way to effectively deal with a team's strategy to neutralize James (as many times we saw with the Colombian team), was to strenghten alternative ways to goal, which do not involve James. In this way, James´contribution without the ball becomes as important to the team as his magnificent passes are when he gets the ball, simply by capturing and keeping busy some of the oponents, which opens up spaces for other Everton players to shine in the vacuum that is necessarily left. In other words, neutralizing James is easier than neutralizing Colombia, since the effort needed to neutralize him opens up vulnerabilities elsewhere, given his masterful control of space. As I have said earlier, James' football play is as much about his amazing passes as it is about his amazing understanding and vision of space (full and empty).

I wonder if more knowledgeable followers of the Colombian team share my uninformed perspective. Since Ancelotti plays James in very much the same way that Colombian coaches have played him over the past 8 years, this experience may apply to Everton as well.

I'd go with Iwobi to replace Richy, but if he struggles i'd bring Gordon on early in the second half so he has enough time to get into the game and make an impact. I'd also stick with Godfrey even if Jonjoe is fit.

This 100%! Don’t quite get the shouts for JJK to come straight back in if Seamus misses out. Thought Godfrey was excellent on Saturday when he came on and did more than enough to keep his place if Seamus isn’t fit!

Not to sound cliche

But if we are to achieve anything this season, we can't mess around against mid table and lower table teams. We HAVE to win these games and try to steal some points vs the top teams.

We have to be uber focused for these games not to miss opportunities. I feel that Carlo and the leaders of the team know this. We have to come out and put these type of teams away. We HAVE to

One key to Everton success when this happens, is to keep strenghtening multiple roads to goal that do not go through James. What we saw in the Colombian team was that after James' amazing performances, teams starting to put extra effort to control him. Press and fouls were suffocating him. Someone said in this forum that trully world-class players know how to move around and still perform under excrutiating pressure. While this may be true, this is not the way I remember this unfolded in the Colombian side.

In all truth, this is not a single-player sport, but a team effort. The way to effectively deal with a team's strategy to neutralize James (as many times we saw with the Colombian team), was to strenghten alternative ways to goal, which do not involve James. In this way, James´contribution without the ball becomes as important to the team as his magnificent passes are when he gets the ball, simply by capturing and keeping busy some of the oponents, which opens up spaces for other Everton players to shine in the vacuum that is necessarily left. In other words, neutralizing James is easier than neutralizing Colombia, since the effort needed to neutralize him opens up vulnerabilities elsewhere, given his masterful control of space. As I have said earlier, James' football play is as much about his amazing passes as it is about his amazing understanding and vision of space (full and empty).

I wonder if more knowledgeable followers of the Colombian team share my uninformed perspective. Since Ancelotti plays James in very much the same way that Colombian coaches have played him over the past 8 years, this experience may apply to Everton as well.

ancelloti plays james starting from the right side with some freedom to get inside but STILL with defensive duties. this was not the case with pekerman, whom played james behid the 2 strikers with absolute freedom with lil defensive obligations ( we used 2 DM to do the dirty work ... and it worked wonders in brasil 2014).

Queiroz is triying to emulate ancelloti putting james on the right side but demands more defensive sacrifice from him to cover the right side while defending , this takes a way a LOT of energy from him and makes him less dangerous as a player. imo ancelotti should try james behind the 2 strikers in a 4-3-1-2 or 4-2-2-2 with sigurdson as part of the 3 triying to stablish posession football and delivering the ball into the strikers as much as possible (bein an effective second treat as a passer or even first) or using the same iceland player (wich is good , dunno how he ends up being a substitute to gomez) right behind the strikers at james side as a creative player in the same level , this is a lot more offensive and risky but will have a lot more punch and may boost iceland morale.

ancelloti plays james starting from the right side with some freedom to get inside but STILL with defensive duties. this was not the case with pekerman, whom played james behid the 2 strikers with absolute freedom with lil defensive obligations ( we used 2 DM to do the dirty work ... and it worked wonders in brasil 2014).

Queiroz is triying to emulate ancelloti putting james on the right side but demands more defensive sacrifice from him to cover the right side while defending , this takes a way a LOT of energy from him and makes him less dangerous as a player. imo ancelotti should try james behind the 2 strikers in a 4-3-1-2 or 4-2-2-2 with sigurdson as part of the 3 triying to stablish posession football and delivering the ball into the strikers as much as possible (bein an effective second treat as a passer or even first) or using the same iceland player (wich is good , dunno how he ends up being a substitute to gomez) right behind the strikers at james side as a creative player in the same level , this is a lot more offensive and risky but will have a lot more punch and may boost iceland morale.

Sigurdsson is who you are referring to. I like a 4231 but we don't have a right side player to play that. We would need to clone Richarlison and find a guy with talent and that runs a lot to defend.

I think Carlo is doing the right thing with the players we have. And it's working very well.

Plus those cross field crosses to Digne and Richarlison are freaking sexy.

Saw a bit of the Chelsea Southampton game last weekend, Southampton are heavy pressers of the ball, this led to chelsea at time having the opposite flank completely free. Hopefully we can get James to keep doing what he does best, drawing in pressure and players and exploiting the spaces.

I reckon James will do his thing, Digne his.. for us to nail a win we need Doucoure to be as good as he was a couple games ago and same for Allan.

Allan gives us much more defensive strength but a firing Doucoure has proved to be a dynamo up and down the pitch. Would love for him to own the next game in the midfield like he did against us all the time. He can do it. Certainly capable

Status
Not open for further replies.