2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think that he has too many clangers in him and cost in the past including a derby so unfortunately he won’t be a reliable keeper for us.
Wouldn’t be surprised if when spend big on a keeper next summer
We almost certainly will be looking for a keeper, but the bigger issue is how do we move Pickford on? He's on a big contract which runs a few more years and he won't have any takers. Sure, if we offered him for a fraction of what we paid somebody might want to take a punt, but his wages would put most teams off and, like most players, he won't join a team on hugely reduced wages. We may be stuck with a 30m goalkeeper on 100k a week sat on the bench or even not in the squad at all.

I'd like to see us make another move for Romero in January on a permanent year-and-a-half deal with an option for a further one or two years depending on appearances. Hopefully his agent is putting pressure on United to allow a move after they blocked one this window.

I have been wondering for a while what Pickford thinks of Everton as a club and us as fans.

He gets a lot of criticism from Everton fans and the vast majority of it is completely fair but I have never seen him interviewed and asked about it. I think the club should put an interview out there for him to get his Side across as currently we only have the arrogant impression of him based on how he acts when it could be embarrassment.

That being said I don’t recall seeing many interviews with him at all, makes you wonder if the Everton media team know he isn’t a likeable person...
He was interviewed post match yesterday. He said he welcomes the scrutiny and it will make him a better keeper. Think he has said similar in previous interviews. Still waiting for the better keeper.

Seen that sort of decision making plenty for us, he just causes utter panic. If you’re coming out you’ve got to clean everyone out and take the ball. Walker had that until control under Pickford got the rave on and came steaming out only to poo himself at the vital moment. Genuinely hope carlo has the buffoon replaced in the summer.

This.

no composure, no resolve, no plan. Panic and overreaction and indecision.

Fantastic saves but a keeper is not just a [Poor language removed] stopper, he’s one of eleven footballers who has to do basic things like be in the right place at the right time.

If it were Burnley or Southampton I’d have no trouble starting Olsen. Not sure if a derby means that he’d be thrown into the deep end.

Pickfords downward spiral started in the derby with the Origi goal. If he plays he’s playing for his Everton future. I firmly believe that. A timid performance and he’s done.

....surely not rating a footballer doesn’t mean you hate him.

Pickford might be a really nice lad but it doesn’t detract from the fact that he’s not a very good goalkeeper. The latter must be obvious to most by now.

not sure about that even. Seems a tit as you lot put it.

At my last position I made hiring decisions for junior staff together with my boss. Qualifications aside we would talk about the Cleveland airport test- if your flight got delayed and you were stuck in the airport with this person for eight hours, would you have fun, be bored, driven crazy etc. I think after about an hour I’d pick up the nearest blunt object and beat him

We almost certainly will be looking for a keeper, but the bigger issue is how do we move Pickford on? He's on a big contract which runs a few more years and he won't have any takers. Sure, if we offered him for a fraction of what we paid somebody might want to take a punt, but his wages would put most teams off and, like most players, he won't join a team on hugely reduced wages. We may be stuck with a 30m goalkeeper on 100k a week sat on the bench or even not in the squad at all.

I'd like to see us make another move for Romero in January on a permanent year-and-a-half deal with an option for a further one or two years depending on appearances. Hopefully his agent is putting pressure on United to allow a move after they blocked one this window.

Move Pickers, if he won't go, park him on the bench.

....surely not rating a footballer doesn’t mean you hate him.

Pickford might be a really nice lad but it doesn’t detract from the fact that he’s not a very good goalkeeper. The latter must be obvious to most by now.
I don't know Eggs. I've used the word hate in here quite a lot myself, not just to describe people's reactions to Pickford but also the likes of Davies, Siggy, and even DCL in the not too distant past.

Maybe hate is too much a word, but I can't think of another to describe it better. People are consistently looking for reasons to have a pop, even often when they don't exist. Sadly with Jordan at the moment, he's giving people plenty of ammunition.

But take the Internationals this week. He did OK against Belgium. There were only two comments on his performance in here, and one of them was me saying I thought he did OK. In the match last night, he made 1 error of judgment when he went for a ball he shouldn't have, and there were 7 PAGES of comment. It wasn't even what I would call a howler, it was just a lack of judgment that all keepers do from time to time. The fact that it led to a goal was more to do with bad refereeing than bad keeping. The response on here, given that it wasn't even an Everton game, was ridiculously OTT. Loads of people on here refuse to give the lad any credit when it comes to England form, but are the first to jump on his head when he makes a mistake for them. What word would you use to describe it Eggs?.

Having said that, there's no denying that he is in a terrible run of form. The frequency of his mistakes and errors of judgment for the club are far too often and many of them are leading to goals. His distribution, one of the things we bought him for, has also been poor and he now seems terrified of catching the ball too. He has not become a bad keeper as so many are saying and he is far from being the worst in the League. But he does need taking out of the limelight and working on to get his head straight if he has a future with us. The Jordan Pickford of the first 2 seasons is an asset to this club. If we can get that back he is worth persevering with.

However I would now bring in Olsen for the derby who would hopefully bring a safer pair of hands. Pickford at the moment is a liability and we are not seeing any upside of his game to offset his mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.