2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just speaking there from the England camp. Very level headed and grounded. Also confident without coming across as arrogant.

A credit to the club.

Impressive today, the way he took his hat off respect for the boss, how he explained to him about the cap when he commented on it... also the way he spoke, for such a young lad managed to reinforce the message of standards without sounding like a kiss as or slating his peers. If he signs off with a goal, and fit still, his confidence for the Derby will be soaring...

Good luck to him, deserves all the success in the world for how he has confidently gone about trying to improve and deliver at this level.

Hope we can keep him long term.

Just seen a clip of Mark Ogden saying the one thing Calvert-Lewin lacks is pace.

The bloke once again proving he doesn't actually watch footy.

Yeh, he's not Vardy quick, but he's got plenty of power and pace to him.

Ogden could literally have pointed out a clear area of weakness such as his shooting from range etc, which is pretty torrid (though it doesn't really matter anyway), but goes to prove he doesn't have a clue.

Same bloke who said we should settle for Moyes, obviously.

So much for Ferguson and improving his heading ability. Glowing praise of Ancelloti.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin: 'At 20 I wasn't ready but I never stopped believing' | David Hytner

Striker felt the weight of expectation when he joined Everton but is delivering for his club and senses a chance with England

In keeping with his season so far, Dominic Calvert-Lewin did not put a foot wrong when the questions turned towards the England side-show from Saturday night. It was the one that involved Tammy Abraham, Ben Chilwell and Jadon Sancho and their attendance at a surprise birthday party for the former which appeared to breach the government’s “rule of six” coronavirus guidelines and has led to such frustration at the Football Association.
The trio’s arrival to camp has been delayed – they will not be involved in the Wembley friendly against Wales on Thursday – and the distraction gave an extra edge to Gareth Southgate’s address to his players about standards on Monday night, which the manager was going to give anyway.

“You have to be extra careful and follow the rules. It’s a unique time and we always have to be extra attentive to those rules. That’s the way it is when you’re representing your country.”“It’s a difficult time and those boys have apologised,” Calvert-Lewin said. “That’s first and foremost what they needed to do. But we all understand what it means to play for the country and you have to remember that at all times. We had a welcome meeting and he [Southgate] just reminded us what it means and the expectations of playing for England.

Calvert-Lewin was asked whether he felt there was a lack of discipline in the squad, which was a little harsh given he was barely 24 hours into his first call-up. “No,” he replied. “There’s been a few lapses in concentration and that’s all I’d put it down to. We’re human beings, we’re still learning and still growing. Everybody is likely to make mistakes at times but it’s important we learn from it, apologise, recognise where you’ve gone wrong and keep improving.”

The Everton centre-forward has done a lot of learning and growing since the start of last season, a lot of improving, but he has taken his game to fresh heights since the beginning of this one, scoring nine goals in six games at club level to present an irresistible case to Southgate. With Abraham out of the picture for the Wales game and Harry Kane expected to be held back for the Nations League ties against Belgium on Sunday and Denmark next Wednesday, Calvert-Lewin can sense opportunity.

It has been a journey, starting at Stalybridge Celtic in the Conference North as a 17-year-old while on loan from Sheffield United in 2014-15, and Calvert-Lewin has an indelible reminder of his debut against Hyde United. “I don’t know if you can see – I’ve still got the scar under my eye,” he said. He played with the eye closed from the 20th minute after being butted when he flicked on a header.

There have also been highs, such as the goal he scored to give England Under-20s a 1-0 win in the World Cup final of 2017. He took a big step forward last season, when he was Everton’s joint-top scorer with 15, but something has clicked this time out.Character-building, they call it, and there is no doubt that Calvert-Lewin has absorbed his share of knocks – mainly under the glare of the Premier League spotlight after his move from Sheffield United to Everton in 2016. Was he too nice to lead the line? Did he deserve to have the club’s No 9 shirt, which he took at the start of last season? Could he bring the needed productivity?

Calvert-Lewin has always been an aerial presence, with his Everton teammate, Richarlison, believing he has “an incredible leap on him like Cristiano Ronaldo”. Calvert-Lewin says heading is “not something I have particularly worked on”.
Where he has worked under Carlo Ancelotti at Goodison Park is on getting into the right areas inside the box, on quick first-time finishes – the sort of poaching upon which Filippo Inzaghi, Ancelotti’s one-time striker at Milan, built his reputation. Ancelotti has held up Inzaghi as an example.

“Carlo’s definitely had a positive influence on me,” Calvert-Lewin says. “Beforehand I was guilty of doing a lot of my best work away from goal and now I’m focused on getting between the sticks and putting the ball in the net. That analogy from Carlo – it’s not to say I’m a carbon copy of Inzaghi but if there’s elements of his game that I’ve been showing it’s one-touch finishes and being in the right place at the right time.”

Of Calvert-Lewin’s nine goals this season, five have been first-time strikes from close-range while three have been towering headers.

“I knew what I needed to do to make that step, which was ultimately to score goals and play with that consistency,” Calvert-Lewin says. “You get freaks of nature that come on the scene and get straight in there [for England]. I recognise that at 20, 21, I wasn’t ready but I never stopped believing I would get there with the right work ethic and the right training.”Since Ancelotti’s arrival at Everton last December, he has started Calvert-Lewin in 23 of the club’s 24 league games – he used him as a substitute in the largely meaningless final match of last season against Bournemouth – and, when he sought to reshape his line-up over the summer, he did not look for a new No 9. That was a shot in the arm for Calvert-Lewin, who says he can feel a “change of the mentality” at the club – the surprise Premier League leaders after four wins out of four.

I'm not normally a fan of the vaulting that goes on when a formerly maligned player is doing well, but I'll lead the next Maoist struggle session myself if he puts Sleepy Joe Gomez on the weights next week.
I am a big fan of it. Think we should have a thread dedicated to vaulting. Might make tge moaners stop and think before posting. These are the same people that start the groaning and booing when a pass goes wide, or a lesser team have a good spell in the game. We need a crowd on side when we they get back.

I love Unsworth saying he expects Dom to score 20 goals a season from here on in:

Unsworth adds: "There are loads of things that can make him even better and I would expect Dom to hit 20 goals this season and for every season after that.

"He's the perfect number nine and his confidence is soaring.

"It was a very proud moment for everybody at Everton when Dom got his England call-up. It was long overdue, but he has his chance now and I think he'll be in the squad for a very long time."

debutdcl.JPG

He's come a long way eh?

Just seen a clip of Mark Ogden saying the one thing Calvert-Lewin lacks is pace.

The bloke once again proving he doesn't actually watch footy.

Yeh, he's not Vardy quick, but he's got plenty of power and pace to him.

Ogden could literally have pointed out a clear area of weakness such as his shooting from range etc, which is pretty torrid (though it doesn't really matter anyway), but goes to prove he doesn't have a clue.

Same bloke who said we should settle for Moyes, obviously.

:hayee:

I am a big fan of it. Think we should have a thread dedicated to vaulting. Might make tge moaners stop and think before posting. These are the same people that start the groaning and booing when a pass goes wide, or a lesser team have a good spell in the game. We need a crowd on side when we they get back.
You may as well just ban me now.

Starts vs Wales, on bench for Euro nation games would be my guess. Kane will always be a starter and then Rashford will be 2nd.

that would be ideal to be honest, let the of have his debut then late players form rival clubs tied themselves out in the later games whilst DCL stays fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.