Match Thread Everton v Brighton Hove Albion - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My ratings:

Pickford (4)-mistake in the goal and almost injured his own defender
Coleman (7.5) great first half and too bad about the injury because he left a big hole
Mina (9) A great goal and blocked so many shots he might as well become the keeper
Keane (6.5) A couple of mistakes coming out of the bag. Perhaps he could have done more on the goal against.
Doucouré (9) He was all over the pitch. What a great pass for the 4th goal. Was still running hard with just a couple of minutes left in the game.
Davies (7) He didn't make many mistakes and covered well overall, even when he was pushed to Coleman's place.
Sigurdsson (6.5) Great pass for the first goal, and well-played half. In the second he disappeared as Everton needed to control the ball, especially without James
James (9) One assist and two goals. Enough said. (And he was a little off today in a few plays but I blame that on the weather).
Calvert-Lewin (7.5) He scored again so what else can you say. That is his job and he did it.
Iwobi (7.5) Was a little lost in the first half (but he up his game in the second). In the two goals, he was very smart in how he passed the ball.
Delph (6.5) While I do think he played well, he did make a couple of mistakes with his passing. I do like that he is very active in that midfield.
Walcott (1): Wow, I think that while everyone elevated their game, he looked not only lost but disinterested. I honestly don't know what happened to this player. If Everton is trying to sell him, I think the best it can expect is a loan because after this performance I don't think a lot of teams are going to be knocking the door.

Richarlison no points because he didn't play enough but definitely it would have been higher than Pickford and Walcott.

....I’ve been on here a long, long time and like a broken record I’ve banged on about a lack of threat in the top third. I’m banging on no more, it’s what’s making the difference.

Mina, Rodriguez, Doucoure all terrific but I’m going for Iwobi. Understandably lambasted by many on here, some like @Groucho reckoned ‘there’s a player in there’.

Personally, I clung onto one magnificently clever pass Iwobi made in last season‘s Anfield Derby where he put Kean in on goal, but today there was a couple of more ‘that’ll do me” moments. I thought the little pass into Doucoure for Rodriguez’s 2nd goal was better than his cross for the first. in that moment he showed great vision and composure to wait and then ignore the overlap of Digne.

Iwobi, perhaps there’s a player in there.

Easy to concentrate on the negatives like Pickford and injuries, but to win so convincingly despite the injuries and self inflicted setbacks is something we'd never have done in previous seasons.

This is a special time for us, one we haven't had since Martinez's first season in charge, no matter who we put in atm, and how unpopular a choice on here, they turn up and we find a way.

Brighton are no mugs, this was a test of squad strength and a marker put down, we're not going to just fall away back down the league

I saw him on his phone on the touch line immediately after the final whistle.

But seriously, we shouldn't hound him too much, we may not be able to sign anyone else and he is still (at least for now) on the England squad.
I'm not one for having a moan at individuals, but enough is enough here EIB just look how many mistakes he made just in this game alone, everyone else has improved this season whilst he's going backwards, none of the defence never mind the fans can have any confidence in him.

Yes Iwobi managed to get himself involved in a goal, but he is a liability. He seems to waddle everywhere. It was his inability to cover that led to Seamus' injury. Really disappointed Gordon isn't being given a chance.

And Walcott offers even less. Joke of a footballer. As for Pickford:blush:

Still, great shift from the others and another goal fest. Keep it up blues.

That made the win better!
We still have some cack players, but we win 4-2.
Work in progress.....

Considering the injuries we have, that was a great performance. Of course there’s always room for improvement. However, I can’t complain.

Can't see any poor defending today, only a poor goalie and a fantastic Brighton shot.
Tbf, we finished that game without coleman, holgate, Kenny, allan, gomes, gbamin, Richarlison, Bernard or james. We had poorer equivalent players in their positions instead. I was referring to the way we defended at the end rather than our general play, that was really sloppy, but there we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.