2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won't someone please think about the projected accounts!

Trda.gif

Read his analysis of the accounts from earlier in the year. He tried to maintain that we’d be unable to spend this summer due to FFP. He was wrong, and ignored those pointing out that his analysis was flawed. He even said we couldn’t sign James because of it, remember?

The issue is, from an orthodox reading of things we couldn't. However it would be almost a fire sale in an orthodox reading. Every problem is got around with Moshiri putting more in.

I suspect there is some contention about that, as it's not a logical way to run things. We all do this though, we assume how we might approach things is how Moshiri logically has to be (or other people). I do it a lot. People see the world very differently.

One thing I'll say, is that both Chelsea, and City probably ran cubs at huge losses (far beyond our, relatively speaking) for 5-10 years, but ultimately built an organisation that isnow worth multiple billion. I'm not sure how you grow an org to be worth around what say City/Chelsea are worth without adding a lot of debt in the short-medium term. If that was the plan it won't worry them.

I fully understand that there would be some anger at how mney was spent badly. However, you are really not going to choose Brands and Ancelotti, when we finally look on the brink of moving forward, to make a point that the club has wasted money so they get no more. It would be cutting off ones nose to spite ones face.

It ought to be added The Esk isn't the only one who's said the things he has, he's perhaps just the most well known. At some point people are going to have to stop with the "we are skint and have to sell" narrative, summer after summer, without ever really evaluating that after years of big spending, this may just be the new normal.

From 10:20 they talk about his abilities.

Interesting podcast that. They seem to value him a fair bit higher than what we are getting him for. A couple of stand outs for me, is that he is quite raw defensively and needs a fair bit of coaching to get better, but has a lot of natural ingredients. He is working under the perfect manager for this really. They also say he's a bit taller than is widely reported (6ft2 they say) and while I don't tihnk he's quite that tall, he does seem taller than what is billed. He should be able to improve in the air.

It looks a good signing. I'd have preferred Todibo, but Godfrey may be a safer option and more ready to play from next week, whcih could be required.

Yeah I get you. I think he’s guilty of speaking as if his opinions are fact and also making the assumption that Moshiri / the club actually care about FFP / the PLs financial regulations, as well as ignoring the fact that there are probably lots of things the club knows that we don’t (eg maybe they know FFP isn’t even gonna matter for the next couple of seasons).

But he’s not wrong when he says that, based on the financial regulations as we currently know and understand them, we are definitely falling foul of them at present. I mean the PL permits a loss of £105m over 3 years. Didn’t we post a loss of £112m last year alone? And we’re probably going to post another loss this year. Moshiri ploughing more money in doesn’t help that as it’s not revenue.

The way I see it, at least one of these things has to be true:

1. The club are absolutely banking on us getting Europe this season with the hope this will massively boost revenues (including improved commercial deals)

2. The club don’t give a shiny one about the financial regulations and are willing to pay any fine that eventually comes their way

3. The club have green light from the PL / UEFA to spend at will without repercussions given COVID

4. The club are planning for the sale of a huge asset next summer for £100m+ (eg Richarlison)

Having said all this, I’m just made up to see Moshiri backing Ancelotti. I’ll leave it to them to sort out the financials of it all.
Good analysis. Number 4 would be massively high risk. Not saying we would never trade players because everyone does. It would just be a huge call to bank on it, particularly given risk of injury, state of Covid influenced market etc.

Interesting podcast that. They seem to value him a fair bit higher than what we are getting him for. A couple of stand outs for me, is that he is quite raw defensively and needs a fair bit of coaching to get better, but has a lot of natural ingredients. He is working under the perfect manager for this really. They also say he's a bit taller than is widely reported (6ft2 they say) and while I don't tihnk he's quite that tall, he does seem taller than what is billed. He should be able to improve in the air.

It looks a good signing. I'd have preferred Todibo, but Godfrey may be a safer option and more ready to play from next week, whcih could be required.

....I’m much happier with Godfrey than Todibo, especially from an attitude perspective.

who are going to be our main centre back pairing. Holgate/keane keane/godfrey Holgate/godfrey and where does mina fit into all this

...I assume Ancelotti doesn’t like the Keane/Mina partnership and Brands has been trying to introduce pace since Zouma left, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Keane/Godfrey starting games in the very near future.

Mina and Holgate will have to be patient and grab any opportunity that arises.

Noticed that also some sites stating he is 6' 2 others shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.