2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm undecided too mate. He does make howlers but he could be going through a rough patch. I wouldn't give up on him yet myself. Dunno, the first goal he appeared completly unaware there was another player there, but if he's focussed he should know he's there. Assuming you're talking about the 1st goal you think he wasn't at fault?

How can you defend him on either? Genuinely curious. The first he just has to boot it away and the second literally just put his hands up/don’t dive out of the way.

The second was a howler... The first was that silly sweeper keeper nonsense started with Keane pack pass...

I'm undecided too mate. He does make howlers but he could be going through a rough patch. I wouldn't give up on him yet myself. Dunno, the first goal he appeared completly unaware there was another player there, but if he's focussed he should know he's there. Assuming you're talking about the 1st goal you think he wasn't at fault?
Some rough patch that, only been going on for about 4 years

....basics wrong. A goalie doesn’t wonder beyond his near post for that 2nd goal unless he’s fully aware of who’s in his area. It’s basic. They grab the near post with their left hand and wait for the header across.

I’m not a fan but when the basics are wrong it’s worst than a bad spell.

Last edited:

How can you defend him on either? Genuinely curious. The first he just has to boot it away and the second literally just put his hands up/don’t dive out of the way.
The first one is a mistake a lot of keepers have done before so I personally wouldn't bash him too much on that because I've seen loads do it before, It's just one of them for me, The second is just down right disgusting tbh.

....basics wrong. A goalie doesn’t wonder beyond his near post for that 2nd goal unless he’s fully aware of who’s in his area. It’s basic. They grab the near post with their left hand and wait for the header across.

I think you are a 100% right
Basics are severely lacking and not sure if he can sort this moving forward

I said the same in my earlier post. He is outside of his near post when the guy heads it back, having "came" for for a cross he had no intention of taking. He then has to rush back across to the centre, and his positioning is everywhere. Same happened for the Newcastle game last season, bouncing around like a loon, absolutely no composure.

His footwork is awful as well. He is constantly bouncing up and down on the spot, so half the goals we concede from long range (the most in the league btw), often times he's hovering in mid air when it's struck, so he has no way of springing towards it. That's half a second he's never going to make back. I've noticed it loads of times, and even Gary Neville pointed out once, which only strengthened my position on it.

The only reason he has any reputation at all is because he started out a team that conceded upwards to 40 shots a game and he obviously saved some of them. But he is just as likely to let a soft 1 as make a stunning save. I'd say its 50/50, but at this point, I'm not even sure it's that good.

It really annoys me when some fans point out his saves as some type of redemption for his mistakes. He’s a goalkeeper for crying out loud. He’s there to make saves. If he didn’t, he’d just be standing there letting goals in all game. His job is to make saves. Every time he does that, it does not make up for basic errors which lead to goals. If a joiner game round to put your doors up and the front door was hanging off, would you still pay him because he put your bathroom one up????

It really annoys me when some fans point out his saves as some type of redemption for his mistakes. He’s a goalkeeper for crying out loud. He’s there to make saves. If he didn’t, he’d just be standing there letting goals in all game. His job is to make saves. Every time he does that, it does not make up for basic errors which lead to goals. If a joiner game round to put your doors up and the front door was hanging off, would you still pay him because he put your bathroom one up????
He makes world class saves that is something everyone can agree on, but I'd prefer if he did the basics very well and let in the 'worldies'. After watching the spurs game I really thought he'd turned the corner and shows how good he actually is. Almost everything he did was right, in fact I can't think of anything wrong. His ability is not in question his concentration etc certainly is IMO.

He makes world class saves that is something everyone can agree on, but I'd prefer if he did the basics very well and let in the 'worldies'. After watching the spurs game I really thought he'd turned the corner and shows how good he actually is. Almost everything he did was right, in fact I can't think of anything wrong. His ability is not in question his concentration etc certainly is IMO.
But every single goalkeeper in the world makes saves. I think sometimes many fans are blinded by the fact that these somehow justify his place. In every game of football you will see goalkeepers make saves. It’s very hard to label certain saves as world class because then it points out that maybe other goalkeepers wouldn’t have saved it. There are few saves I believe that fall in this bracket. For me goalkeepers should be judged on whether or not it would have been a mistake to let certain goals in, not the other way round. I mean the spurs game, the Doherty shot wasn’t particularly good. Most keepers narrow the angle there and come out feet first. If that would have gone in, I don’t think it would have been particularly good goalkeeping. But some fans think that’s amazing goalkeeping. I don’t.

Also, Dele allis strike wasn’t particularly good either. Nice height and I’d be surprised if any goalkeeper lets that in. But all the fans say he had a great game???

Also, Dele allis strike wasn’t particularly good either. Nice height and I’d be surprised if any goalkeeper lets that in. But all the fans say he had a great game???
For me his saves have never been in question he does it well. What I really liked that day was his decision making, he came for crosses and was decisive at the right time. This is what he needs to improve

The way he trends on social media is sometimes over the top. Esp with England. Englands fans are a bit cheeky lumping into him as he hasnt done anything wrong there. Its always nick pope this nick pope that. Quiet as a mouse i noticed the other night when he let in 4 at leicester.
Everton is a different matter. Confidence in him is very low and getting lower.
Dread to think if he has a howler tomorrow and upcoming games. We can see shoots of something happening here but also feel he could undo it all with his errors.
Nice quiet game tomorrow lad please. You really do need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.