2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me his saves have never been in question he does it well. What I really liked that day was his decision making, he came for crosses and was decisive at the right time. This is what he needs to improve
Yes that was definitely the best aspect of his performance that day. I just think his standards and our expectations have dropped so much. This game should be a standard performance, but it’s his only decent game since I can remember and there’s still people defending him.

Yes that was definitely the best aspect of his performance that day. I just think his standards and our expectations have dropped so much. This game should be a standard performance, but it’s his only decent game since I can remember and there’s still people defending him.

For every mistake he'll make up for it on average, but when he makes an error and he's punished it's a humdinger. I've said before I think there is something underlying with him, he is erratic with his decision making and movements etc.

Two mistakes from Pickford the other night.
No mistake folks..........Pickford was at fault. The first one .......Pickford should have put the ball in row z. He does that and Fleetwood don't score. Simple as that.
The second goal........Pickford reacts as if he was shot. He reacts as if he was trying to avoid a bullet........someone point out to him that it was a football.
As over head kicks go, it was tame. Pickford without the hysterics could have caught that ball. But he flapped about as if he was trying to catch (avoid) a bullet.
Awful goal keeping. Add those two mistakes to all his other mistakes.

He gets away with that nonsense the other night because the rest of the team managed to score five. Makes things easier when your keeper is intent on giving away two soft goals. But keep this nonsense up and Pickford will cost us a big game.
Imagine those howlers in a derby match(oh sorry he's already done that).
Or in a match to get us into contention at the business end of the table. Or a cup semi final or final. Would he then be forgiven??
Would Lampard put up with mistakes? Or Klopp? What about Mourinio?

Now in saying all that about Pickford. I still believe that he might be ok for us. But he needs competition. He needs to be kept on his toes. Challenged . And dropped when necessary. A spell on the bench.... But he has no competition.
Our back up keepers are not imo good enough. Pickford is not challenged..
So we need a strong second keeper. One that will push Pickford hard. Then we might just see a different Pickford.
He gets challenged with England...........and I don't remember too many mistakes.
Rant over folks.........relax..........now how about a clean sheet tomorrow. And all will be ok with Everton And Carlo And Pickford and all of us. It's a fickle game.
A few clean sheets.........and all is well........for now.
And of course a few goals.......a few more wins........Up The Toffees......

He makes some dreadful decisions at times, but It's his instinct to punch out every time that bemuses me (well he is a Mackem)

Also his goalkeeping isn't great either. Someone is obviously telling him not to catch the ball, and to just bat it towards the nearest attacker.

Imagine if he hadn’t played brilliantly in the first league game of the season and we’d lost, the overall mood of club wouldn’t be as good going to the next games and we wouldn’t be unbeaten
Imagine if we hadn’t scored 5 goals in our last two outings and we’d lost to fleetwood because our keeper is a mess...It didn’t happen and that’s great but his mistakes are still there for all to see.

If we keep everyone fit, we’ve got a good chance of top four this year I believe. I just don’t think we can afford to have a keeper who will regularly cost us goals to sustain this challenge. For that to happen, Pickford needs to dramatically improve, in a very short space of time, or we need a new keeper

Just reminds of David James back in the day. There is a really good goalkeeper in there but just a real lack of concentration or a feeling of too much self importance. If Pickford could get his head screwed on, realise its about the team and i think he would be decent. If he carries on being a big time Charlie he will end up at a lower PL side for his entire career.

I desperately want the lad to prove us all wrong. As I would hate his stupid mistakes to be the thing that holds us back this season. All our exciting passages of play and goals mean nothing if he can’t keep it steady at the back.

But I’m just not sure he can iron out all these mistakes from his game. It’s a mentality issue. A decision needs to be made, and I’d rather we made it this summer, although I suspect it will be next summer when actually pull the trigger. Just hope that risk pays off.

I said the same in my earlier post. He is outside of his near post when the guy heads it back, having "came" for for a cross he had no intention of taking. He then has to rush back across to the centre, and his positioning is everywhere. Same happened for the Newcastle game last season, bouncing around like a loon, absolutely no composure.

His footwork is awful as well. He is constantly bouncing up and down on the spot, so half the goals we concede from long range (the most in the league btw), often times he's hovering in mid air when it's struck, so he has no way of springing towards it. That's half a second he's never going to make back. I've noticed it loads of times, and even Gary Neville pointed out once, which only strengthened my position on it.

The only reason he has any reputation at all is because he started out a team that conceded upwards to 40 shots a game and he obviously saved some of them. But he is just as likely to let a soft 1 as make a stunning save. I'd say its 50/50, but at this point, I'm not even sure it's that good.
This. I’m reminded of that goal at Brighton last season, it was a long range effort and he just didn’t move his feet to help reach the ball. You can’t spring up from a standing position anywhere near as well as you can when moving your feet. Like Hart conceding that goal against Wales in the Euros.

You wouldn’t have thought you could get worse than when we were crying out for Martinez to drop Howard but worried about Robles, but for me this is worse. Worse because we’ve gone out and paid good money to get another bloody keeper that you can’t fully trust and that does random weird crap that makes no sense.

That FK against west brom, whether he was going to get there or not, what on earth type of a dive is that. It not only doesn’t look right, it left me wondering what the hell he was thinking....and he has regular moments like that. They totally offset the good stuff.

and whilst I understand patience with a player I don’t get the posters in this thread who have nothing to say apart from defending him. It’s bizarre. The issues are very clear.

in short

SELL

Status
Not open for further replies.