Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure.

Look, if next season we finish in the top 7 we will have made massive improvement on last season.

The striking options we have are OK. Our defence is pretty reasonable with some good young players.

Our midfield was dog dirt so we spent £60m on it.
To be fair if we’re putting James in at attacking mid I think DCL and Richy will be ideal striking options due to their willingness to press the defence and run creating gaps for James

Yeah it's not really something I have strong feelings on, I just think there's been a few posts recently that have suggested the Branthwaite and Nkounkou signings count as Brands putting this strategy in place when really it's a continuation of a policy we've had for as long as I can remember.

Well to a degree I think it is, I would just say the strategy is to win, and win quite quickly, rather than to buy young players. There will be some younger players bought, and thats sensible, but it won't be all he's doing.

I'd also add, of you try and do too much, like Walsh did and buy about 6 or 7 in one go, none of them make it.

I said a few times, Carlo ain't here for a long time, he wants to compete from next season, he doesn't wanna operate a creche with a team of 20-year-olds.

But we do have a decent core of younger players, which I'm sure will be added to in the next few windows.

Its a short term risky policy we have operated this summer, but at least we know that we have bought "quality" that has performed at a very high level in the past.

All of that is true.

In the short term Moshiri wants us into Europe. It then becomes easier to attract younger players.

Another way to look at this though is did Abramovich or Monsour really care about young players, or sustainability early on in their regimes? Do they now? It's a pre-occupation for people who might want us to turn a profit. I don't think if you're plunging significant money in, that's really your biggest concern. Oh we're in debt- oh well I'll give some more money.

I think Carlo may be here for a bit longer. If we start to do well, I doubt he will want to leave, and he will be idolised if he wins a trophy. The issue is though, he's not here to play the long game to get there. If an option to short cut, and jump a few levels in one go becomes available, he is going to take it.

For sure.

Look, if next season we finish in the top 7 we will have made massive improvement on last season.

The striking options we have are OK. Our defence is pretty reasonable with some good young players.

Our midfield was dog dirt so we spent £60m on it.
I for one cannot wait for Iceland to point to where Allan should be moving to, before playing it back to Pickford.

All of that is true.

In the short term Moshiri wants us into Europe. It then becomes easier to attract younger players.

Another way to look at this though is did Abramovich or Monsour really care about young players, or sustainability early on in their regimes? Do they now? It's a pre-occupation for people who might want us to turn a profit. I don't think if you're plunging significant money in, that's really your biggest concern. Oh we're in debt- oh well I'll give some more money.

I think Carlo may be here for a bit longer. If we start to do well, I doubt he will want to leave, and he will be idolised if he wins a trophy. The issue is though, he's not here to play the long game to get there. If an option to short cut, and jump a few levels in one go becomes available, he is going to take it.

When you actually logic it out we have a spine of almost sub 20 years old here already. What we really needed was expierence.

Centre half: Branthwaite
Full Back: Neils
Center midfield: Onyango * Davies - runs.
Am: Gordon
CF: Moise.

We have a good few seeds here at them moment, to actually balance the side we needed more players with experience, leadership and pedigree.

When you actually logic it out we have a spine of almost sub 20 years old here already. What we really needed was expierence.

Centre half: Branthwaite
Full Back: Neils
Center midfield: Onyango * Davies - runs.
Am: Gordon
CF: Moise.

We have a good few seeds here at them moment, to actually balance the side we need more players with experience and pedigree.
Two of them have never played a first team game, it’s a bit disingenuous to count them as the spine of the team really. We’ve got tons of experience, absolutely loads of it. I have no problem with what we’re doing at the moment but I don’t agree at all with this idea that we have a really young squad that needed a couple of old heads. Davies is the only player under 23 who played more than half a dozen games last year.

Not at all. We've spent £60m on three key positions.
As most of us have said to date - getting players out is vitally important now.

Are our RB options perfect? No, but enough for the season.

Is our goalkeeper terrible? Yes, but no one is buying him from us.

Could we solve both of the above THIS summer with top class signings? Yes.
FIXED

Two of them have never played a first team game, it’s a bit disingenuous to count them as the spine of the team really. We’ve got tons of experience, absolutely loads of it. I have no problem with what we’re doing at the moment but I don’t agree at all with this idea that we have a really young squad that needed a couple of old heads. Davies is the only player under 23 who played more than half a dozen games last year.

I was speaking less about starting games at the moment but about youth recruitment mate, all of the above i would see as significant prospects in the next 2-3 years. Those players are seeds at the moment really. There is also a subgroup ahead of it of 23/24 year olds, Richarlison, Gbamin, DCL, Iwobi, Holgate etc.

We have players with experience, but not in key areas for me, up front as talented as they are DCL and Richarlison need a bridge, James i think weaves that. While in central midfield, well it speaks for itself really, its been poor yet is the key area of the pitch that enables so much for me. Experience is one aspect i mention, i also said leadership and pedigree. Hand on heart, it pains to me say weve been devoid of that combination for going on four years now.

Last edited:

Exactly. Of course we can improve the rest of the team, but I do think 3-4 signings a summer is optimal.
Do you honestly think Usmanov told Carlo he will have to make do with Walcott and Iwobi as his wide options and Coleman -JJK as his RB option.
Carlo wants ready to go and apart from Digne and Ricarlison (possibly Holgate) no one from last season is guaranteed a spot.
CB-RB-Winger all to come in and possibly a GK
Relaxation of FPP and STCC will help.
Clubs all over Europe are hurting financially and no one will want to stop Everton spreading a few million around.

To be fair if we’re putting James in at attacking mid I think DCL and Richy will be ideal striking options due to their willingness to press the defence and run creating gaps for James
I was reading some stats a few days ago about James, can’t remember where. Number 10 is his best position According to that, I think possibly why he likes Carlo. Believes in him, plays him in his favourite position and so on.

If we were to do something like Tomori on loan, Arias loan-to-buy, and Romero for 4mill, we would have spent very little more but could line up as:

Romero
Arias Holgate Keane Digne
Allan Doucoure Gomes
James DCL/Kean Richy

Carlo can do a lot with that. Tomori cover for Holgate in case of injury and can replace Keane if we play a weak side who will try and counter. A RW would be nice but I feel we can be fine without one, as in some formations James can play there, and in others James can play in the middle while Iwobi/Walcott remains our weak position of the 11.

I was speaking less about starting games at the moment but about youth recruitment mate, all of the above i would see as significant prospects in the next 2-3 years. Those players are seeds at the moment really. There is also a subgroup ahead of it of 23/24 year olds, Richarlison, DCL, Iwobi, Holgate etc.

We have players with experience, but not in key areas for me, up front as talented as they are DCL and Richarlison need a bridge, James i think weaves that. While in central midfield, well it speaks for itself really, its been poor yet is the key area of the pitch that enables so much for me. Experience is one aspect i mention, i also said leadership and pedigree. Hand on heart, it pains to me say weve been devoid of that combination for going on four years now.
I just think it’s impossible to comment on those things with any insight. It’s very difficult to say whether there’s anything remarkable about that group of youngsters, a couple of years ago we’d have people saying the same about lookman and vlasic etc, before that Dowell, Walsh, Ledson, Baningime, Galloway, Garbutt etc etc were all supposed to be coming through. None of them did.

Same with the leadership/pedigree thing. We’ve had loads of theoretical leaders recently but they’ve made no difference and everyone’s then decided that they don’t count anymore. Surely the french, Brazilian, English internationals we have in abundance have pedigree? I’m not having a go like, I just think people often over complicate what is actually fairly simple. We have been lacking genuine quality, and that’s why we don’t do very well. Hopefully the new signings go some way to addressing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.