2019/20 Leighton Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not him saying to Capello "I'm well up for this, let's go!", either.

He thought he could have good moan AND stay in a team, like he's always done here. Unfortunately for him Capello wasn't wearing that and he was dropped for a similar standard player in Warnock.
You like to paraphrase Dave to give an outcome that suits your own thoughts.

He's been great left back for our club defo, but has job for the boys have to agree the whole of finch farm needs sorting out,we need title winners in there telling them finishing top half of the table is good enough ffs.
It all depends on if he's the right man for the job, and to the best of my knowledge nobody on here has yet said they know what said job is. U18 coach? U23?

I've been an advocate in the past for being more astute (ruthless) with who we take on needing to strive for the best, and that still stands. Nepotism isn't good!

But, do you or we know what Baines is like a coach? He may be a very good choice; in reality, we don't know the circumstances, so lets see what happens?

Also, I don't completely agree with the whole 'title winners' mentality. José wasn't a title winning player and nor was Klopp or Ferguson to name a few.

It's what they can do as a coach which bothers me; if they're a great coach and a winner on the pitch too, well that's even better.

Translated;
Everybody likes him except you, so we'll use that happy clapper love and get him to front up to spout our total wham so they lap it up

aka, must be true Bainesy said it and he's sound.
That's what it's all about: "Bainesy: club ambassador for spinning our failure". That'll be his official title.

"Marcel and I have been working behind-the-scenes with Leighton over the last few weeks and are excited about how we might be able to continue a relationship with him in future. We’re currently working through some of the final details, which we believe will be great for Leighton and for our football club."

Honest to God, you'd think this feller had been Roberto Carlos or someone wouldn't you?

Bending over backwards for a footnote in the history of Everton Football Club.

The survivors of the teams from the 60s and 80s must be looking at that in horror.

Barrett-Baxendale is well out step with the mood here. Yes, he's One of You (as some - not all - like to say), but is there any appetite to laud this player and find a special role for him at the club? I think most if they're honest will see such a move as embarrassingly over the top for a player who achieved nothing here, and a move that reinforces the mistakes of the recent past in employing ex-players on no basis of merit.

"Marcel and I have been working behind-the-scenes with Leighton over the last few weeks and are excited about how we might be able to continue a relationship with him in future. We’re currently working through some of the final details, which we believe will be great for Leighton and for our football club."

Honest to God, you'd think this feller had been Roberto Carlos or someone wouldn't you?

The survivors of the teams from the 60s and 80s must be looking at that in horror.

Barrett-Baxendale is well out step with the mood here. Yes, he's One of You (as some - not all - like to say), but is there any appetite to laud this player and find a special role for him at the club? I think most if they're honest will see such a move as embarrassingly over the top for a player who achieved nothing here, and a move that reinforces the mistakes of the recent past in employing ex-players on no basis of merit.
Your vendetta and agenda against him is boring. He’s genuinely one of the best players we’ve had in the last 25 years, quite comfortably actually. In his prime he was probably top ten full backs in the world, how many players have we had who can consider themselves in those upper echelons? We get you didn’t like him speaking out against Martinez, give it a rest it’s boring. Top quality player, don’t see how there is any doubting that. Comparing him to Warnock?! Laughable.

Its this bit that worries me, youd think Brands and maybe both have bigger priorities at the moment, not like Baines is going to be snapped up before transfer deadline. I wouldn't dismiss it either, in all his seasons here he has failed to adequately prepare or balance a squad yet, we have had gaping holes all over the squad, in his first year up front, in his second in central midfield and arguably central defense. Id prefer if his efforts went toward balancing the squad then chasing around and negotiating with Baines. Its not like we need to reduce our wage bill or anything. Surely if hes being offered anything it can wait a good few months, im sure Baines hasn't even washed his boots yet.

Your vendetta and agenda against him is boring. He’s genuinely one of the best players we’ve had in the last 25 years, quite comfortably actually. In his prime he was probably top ten full backs in the world, how many players have we had who can consider themselves in those upper echelons? We get you didn’t like him speaking out against Martinez, give it a rest it’s boring. Top quality player, don’t see how there is any doubting that. Comparing him to Warnock?! Laughable.
Nonsense. Sentimental nonsense. My guess is that you've never seen Everton lift a significant trophy with a top team full of top players.

Its this bit that worries me, youd think Brands and maybe both have bigger priorities at the moment, not like Baines is going to be snapped up before transfer deadline. I wouldn't dismiss it either, in all his seasons here he has failed to adequately prepare or balance a squad yet, we have had gaping holes all over the squad, in his first year up front, in his second in central midfield and arguably central defense. Id prefer if his efforts went toward balancing the squad then chasing around and negotiating with Baines. Its not like we need to reduce our wage bill or anything. Surely if hes being offered anything it can wait a good few months, im sure Baines hasn't even washed his boots yet.
It worries me too. It screams: "we're drifting...just give them some old flannel about securing Baines - a 'club legend' - and sell that as a coup".

It also shows how out of whack they are with reality. I really dont think keeping this fabulously rich feller on the payroll will be as well received ast they think going into an era of mass unemployment. I'd have thought the chugger would have realised that, but apparently she's incapable of thinking it through.

Nobody knows what qualities he can bring in any role. None of us know the respect he carries in football circles. Not sure why anyone would be getting heated over a former player being given a role that we know nothing about.

Nobody knows what qualities he can bring in any role. None of us know the respect he carries in football circles. Not sure why anyone would be getting heated over a former player being given a role that we know nothing about.
I'll tell you what he'll bring to Everton if he's employed on the plaing side: a reinforcement of the culture that it's ok if you do your best - and if that fails or succeeds it's incidental to effort. Just like Ferguson, Ebbrell, Jeffers, Unsworth etc, he played at this club at a time when winning wasn't the all important measurement of a player or group of players. Working hard and being mates with each other is the criteria of the past 15-20 years - being the best or winning trophies just doesn't come into it.

Baines will give you more of that. It's a retrogressive move. A stunt that's typical of the fools who own and govern this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.