Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not closed minded one way or the other on Brands.

But i think we need to chill a little bit on the urgency of the transfers. i get it - preseason is ideal etc, but the transfer window is a moving target and you will have no problem getting gashness in early, quality is a different matter. So you have the competing needs of Speed of signings Vs Quality of signings. Really we have until Oct to finalise the squad.

A couple of points, a lot of players are still on breaks, you usually see the market ramp up when preseason is started.

Being wholly honest we are hopefully competing for players who have many options and are in demand, id prefer to hold tough and go for quality then moving to far down our list, like it or not its in a quality players interests and their agents to wait until the end of the window to squeak out every bit of interest.

Some players like Allan and Silva we may be interested in are still playing or have this week just finished, so have just finished or are finishing contracts.

Wages, its absolutely no harm to spend a couple of calendar months that bit leaner after loosing i think just under 10 odd players of the wage bill.

Our approach should be to safeguard around waste and haste its partly what got us into this mess in the first place.

Its a game of nerve and brinkmanship really. If i'm honest i'm more arsed about outs then ins.

Last edited:
always have fond memories of Besic putting Yaya Toure on his arse.

Besic was a superb little player on his day, very pacey, tenacious, loved a tackle, good range of passing and comfortable on the ball.

Superb find by Martinez, only 4 mil too, but just kept getting injured. Would love to talk to the club's physios one day you know, are we just unlucky or is there something else going on!

Pre-season starts on Sunday and he’s managed to sell Kieran Dowell since the season ended.

Superb work transfer guru.
The problem though is that so many of those we want to shift are on high wages. Even if we find clubs to take them, those clubs won’t want to begin paying said wages any sooner than they have to.

None of us like it but all signs point to maybe one signing in the next couple of weeks and then a flurry of activity late in the window.

The problem though is that so many of those we want to shift are on high wages. Even if we find clubs to take them, those clubs won’t want to begin paying said wages any sooner than they have to.

None of us like it but all signs point to maybe one signing in the next couple of weeks and then a flurry of activity late in the window.

Compromises need to be found though. There is a difference with say Tosun Vs Besic, Bolaise and Sandro. Tosun has another couple of years on his contract so he might not be warm to a move for another year unless someone matched his wages - that said a goal for him will be the Euros.

However Besic, Bolaise and Sandro are different - yes they are on good money here, but what will be on their mind is the next three or four year of their careers now - next summer each need a 3/4 year contract. They wont get another good contract elsewhere with the reputational damage of doing nothing here for years or be seen to be draw on a clubs resources and failing on loans. There comes a tipping point for these players, were a years good money here, is less then a four year contract on alright money somewhere elsewhere - we are getting to that point with some of these players and they have a decision to make. Its no skin of our nose in some ways, they can sit here, at this stage if we give them away we are still make money on their wages. We're not arsed what they do next year, but the players themselves will be and will have one eye on their earning power of their next contract. That creates a different dynamic to previous summers and more tension for these players.

Its interesting Bolaise was sent to play with the U23's - the club basically saying, fine stay, but playing with the kids is going to damage your chances of picking up something next year and your earning power for the next four years - so what do you want to do? Like i said above brinkmanship.

Last edited:
Complete and utter revisionism on Besic.

I remember one good game, home against City in the league cup semi first leg. I also remember the worst individual performance of a player in a game at home against Arsenal. It was so bad, I remember being stood there wondering if he was having an adverse reaction to some form of medicine or was drunk.

The rest he was below average.

Besic was a superb little player on his day, very pacey, tenacious, loved a tackle, good range of passing and comfortable on the ball.

Superb find by Martinez, only 4 mil too, but just kept getting injured. Would love to talk to the club's physios one day you know, are we just unlucky or is there something else going on!
I remember the Head of Rehabilitation got sacked after the Gbamin debacle...

Moans how crap our players are.

Moans that Brands cannot get rid.

Maybe some one could enlighten me to who is going to take Sandro on 120k pw or Bolaise on 75k pw?

Perspective is required, unless we release them which would be a huge hit, I’d imagine all those deemed not good enough will be loaned out, with the thought that it covers part of their wages until their contracts expire.

The mess we are in, didn’t happen in one window, and it definitely won’t be fixed in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.