Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - so many people have massive underestimated the size of the task Brands faced when coming in. The club was put into a mess that will take until 2022 (when the last of stupid big contracts we gave out expires) to properly unpick.

That mess was exacerbated by moving to a manager who - whilst being an absolute coup for the club - seems to want to play a system (442) that does not match the players Brands was previously recruiting for (433/4231).
I don't get why brands doesn't just get £50m for bolasie?

Yep - so many people have massive underestimated the size of the task Brands faced when coming in. The club was put into a mess that will take until 2022 (when the last of stupid big contracts we gave out expires) to properly unpick.

That mess was exacerbated by moving to a manager who - whilst being an absolute coup for the club - seems to want to play a system (442) that does not match the players Brands was previously recruiting for (433/4231).
There's some truth in that, but it's worth pointing out that he's also created problems himself. If FFP was such an issue and we needed to wait until 2022 before we could do anything, we could quite easily have maintained a midtable position without splashing the cash. We could have used the likes of Lookman, Vlasic, Dowell, Kenny, Robinson etc. Tosun, McCarthy and the like are good enough to have you finishing in 12th, so why have we gone out and spent a fortune on new players who haven't moved us up the league? You can't go out and pay Mina and Bernard a reported £250k week between them and then complain that we've got no room on the wage bill.

Brands hasn't been a disaster, and in time he might turn out to be a genius, but looking at what he's done so far doesn't make for good reading really. Most people thought Koeman/Allardyce and Walsh needed sacking because 7th and 8th wasn't good enough. Now we've finished 12th and people are saying that's a good result with this set of players, of which Brands has signed about a dozen. It's a long term job so we'll see whether things come together in time, but he needs a good window this summer or he may find he doesn't get to stay around to find out.

You don't really know how Carlo is going to set up with a squad full of his players though.

Think he's had to play the way he has recently because our squad is so bad and he's trying to keep us from getting battered every game.

Would sell Keane in a heartbeat if we could get another cb in.
I guess I don't but he's managed for 20 years and never been a high pressure manager so I'm sort of guessing that isn't in the works.

Can't help but feel that deeper system was forced upon him. Keane and Mina are too similar for me, Mina is probably a bit better on the ball but is a sick note, so I defo reckon we should punt one of them and bring in a more athletic and pacey CB ala Distin/Zouma who allows us to play higher up the pitch. Think Carlo will still have us sit deep in certain games, away to the better teams for example. But yeah we need a different type of CB in the squad and as Keane and Mina are very similar I'd try and move one of them on to raise funds.
Maybe but even at Madrid and Bayern he played deeper and didn't do full on pressing.

You don't really know how Carlo is going to set up with a squad full of his players though.

Think he's had to play the way he has recently because our squad is so bad and he's trying to keep us from getting battered every game.

Would sell Keane in a heartbeat if we could get another cb in.

He's going to set up in rathbone if we don't get him some players in...

Status
Not open for further replies.