Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes built a pretty good team with relegated players (Jags, Lescott), players who’d been written off/loaned out by others (Arteta), Championship players (Cahill), smaller club guys (Baines, Johnson), big-club rejects (Howard, Neville, Distin), journeymen (Bent, Carsley), a few judicious Euro purchases from inferior standard leagues (Pienaar, Fellaini, Gravesen) & the academy (Osman, Hibbert, Anichebe). I think in this thread every single one of these approaches to team-building has been repeatedly criticised?!

Moyes built a pretty good team with relegated players (Jags, Lescott), players who’d been written off/loaned out by others (Arteta), Championship players (Cahill), smaller club guys (Baines, Johnson), big-club rejects (Howard, Neville, Distin), journeymen (Bent, Carsley), a few judicious Euro purchases from inferior standard leagues (Pienaar, Fellaini, Gravesen) & the academy (Osman, Hibbert, Anichebe). I think in this thread every single one of these approaches to team-building has been repeatedly criticised?!
But in all fairness I doubt each poster criticises each and every method. Just a variety of opinions.

But in all fairness I doubt each poster criticises each and every method. Just a variety of opinions.

But in all fairness it does suggest all those who seek to talk in absolutes (do this, do not do that) are talking out of their hats. A wide variety of approaches can and do work/can and do fail.

The ‘secret sauce’ or missing ingredient may be the minute attention to detail over ‘culture fit’ that Moyes & his team showed & the stability they created to pursue it consistently.

Brands might or might not have this as an individual (Dutch business people often are detail-oriented in my experience) but constantly shifting managers means there is no consistent culture to fit. No matter how much we struggle next year I’d suggest that we need stability at both coach and DoF for an extended period.

Its going to take time to get in the players that Ancelotti wants. I think graft in midfield is a must. The back four will look better if they actually have players who can tackle/run in front of them. Pickford is a worry for me but think we’re stuck with him. I can’t see a big club coming in for him based on the howlers he’s making.

I’m trying not to get agitated about speculation this summer. We’ll sign who we sign and hopefully get shot of a lot of the rubbish.

From the first team, I see 3-4 going at most. Walcott, Bernard, and Davies. Those three have atleast some value on the market

I'm not sure Bernard and Walcott have much value in the current transfer market

Which teams are likely to want them and can afford their wages (both v.high) and a fee? Not clubs I would guess but even less in a footballing world that is in the middle of financial uncertainty.

In my opinion at best we might get a modest fee for both (<20M combined). That might be enough to raise some funds, as long as we can get their extortionate wages off the club's wage bill.

Where are ya Brands? Where’s the signings ya flump!

Actually think a lot of teams will wait for later in the transfer window to buy.

The likes of Chelsea, City and United will spend regardless. They'll probably spend early too.

Other teams could see benefit by waiting. Wait for teams who need to sell to become desperate. Might be a bargain or 2 to be had if we can hold our nerve to later in the window.

Actually think a lot of teams will wait for later in the transfer window to buy.

The likes of Chelsea, City and United will spend regardless. They'll probably spend early too.

Other teams could see benefit by waiting. Wait for teams who need to sell to become desperate. Might be a bargain or 2 to be had if we can hold our nerve to later in the window.

We can't afford to leave it late in the window mate because we're atrocious and desperate.

The game done changed

Moyes' best team would be deep in a relegation scrap these days

Well if we do we way as well write the beginning of the next season off again. It really is imperative we get signings in done and dusted so they can get their feet under the table early and adjust to their new surroundings and teams mates. Im not expecting us to have an outstanding season next season but if we want to try and achieve something we simply need to get off to a good start, Ancelotti emphasised this in his post match interview yesterday.

The game done changed

Moyes' best team would be deep in a relegation scrap these days

I don’t think they would. You look at Burnley’s team this season. Hardly any stand out players but they have a good team spirit, they work hard for each other and are solid and resolute in their set up. That’s everything we don’t have which we did have under Moyes for most part of his tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.