2019/20 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's currently our most experienced CB, and CBs need experience or someone next to them with it.
We can't be going into a season with only Mina, Holgate and Branthwaite.

If he's to be sold he must be replaced with another experienced CB, and Gabriel is 22 so that would mean buying 2 defenders in a window we really need to be focussing on midfield and the right-side.
I didn't spot this when you replied on Tuesday, but for me it's now Holgate+1 at centre-back. I wasn't sure if he would ever have the physicality to make it in the Premier League, even as recently as when Pukki put him on the weights in that terrible home defeat to Norwich, but he's jumped up a level since moving into midfield (where I began to think his future lay) and then dropping back into defence. I'm also happy to stick my neck out and say that Braithwaite is already capable of pushing for a place in the team, much the same way that Stones did with Jagielka and Distin (he couldn't have been much more than a teenager in 2013/14).

I actually don't expect Keane to move on in the summer, even though I believe that he should. It's much more Everton's style to throw him a new contract based on a period of decent performances in nothing games, and then worry about the fact that he may not be good enough to play in a team competing for Champions League football when, or if, they come to that bridge. My thinking is simply that between his contract situation and the fact that he would be an appealing option to a team setting up like Burnley or Newcastle, he'd be easier to shift than Mina.

Of course, this is me making some very big assumptions about Everton's ambitions. For all I know, the board could be happy for Ancelotti to match recent 'successes' by maybe creeping into a Europa League spot at the back-end of the season, like Moyes and Koeman did.

I’d love to know what impressed him about Michael Keane, Carlo’s got me worried with statements like that.

Keane is a great defender.

I did giggle when people said we could get 10m.

All this talk of high line is rubbish.

But hey, don't take me word for it, listen to the best manager in world football instead.

Keane is a great defender.

I did giggle when people said we could get 10m.

All this talk of high line is rubbish.

But hey, don't take me word for it, listen to the best manager in world football instead.
Well watch him when we play a high line, he’s not clever when we play deep, no I’m not taking your word for it and I’m amazed at Carlo saying what he said.

Who says we will ever play a high line?
Well playing deep means the midfield is too far away from helping the forwards, so eventually we’ll have to change that, then Michael will be the Michael that flounders when he has to turn fast forwards show him their backside as they head for goal, but you say that is a myth, been proved too many times that it is the absolute truth.

Well playing deep means the midfield is too far away from helping the forwards, so eventually we’ll have to change that, then Michael will be the Michael that flounders when he has to turn fast forwards show him their backside as they head for goal, but you say that is a myth, been proved too many times that it is the absolute truth.

I haven't said its a myth.

I just think its massively overblown.

In the past he's struggled big-time by pacey forwards who turn him, that's a fact 100%.

I can still picture the way Lukaku made him look silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.