2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football is changing and evolving at an enormous rate. The game is now all about pace and Sigurdsson just doesn't have any.
I look at the new breed of full back , small , light and very pacey… they make Leighton Baines look like a centre half.

The better midfield players can create chances but also have pace and can get all over the pitch to defend and attack.
Sigurdsson wants to operate in one part of the pitch, is not quick and is not particularly clever with the ball or creative.
He is a player that has been left behind as the game evolves.

To be honest mate, I consider him to be playing out of position, I don’t see him as a central midfielder either 6 or 8, for me he’s playing out of position. If you put Fernandez at 6 he’s not going to be as effective, if you take away Rashford, Greenwood, Martial and Pogba he might struggle also, it’s a bit of an unfair comparison.

People are talking about Grealish as 60 mill player, 7 goals and 7 assists, Gylfi clocked 13 and 6 last season. Full tilt, weve a player in my opinion, I’m not blind, I see he’s struggling in an alien position, just trying to share what I see as context and reasons for being ineffective, which I think are many and are fair mitigation.
I've been a Sig' zealot mate. I graciously disagree with @mikeh72 on last season. I thought he fulfilled his role well.

But. BUT.

He's been absolutely pathetic this season overall. And Sunday was the tip of the iceberg.

Watching him usher players on like he's some sort of brain of the team, putting responsibility on everyone but himself, is bordering on a disgrace now. Jorginho at Chelsea does this too but he takes the ball, moves the team forward and is all-round a fantastic midfield 'hub' even though he can't run.

Gylfi would have my sympathy if he was 21, 22, playing in an unusual position, out of form and playing too safe as a consequence.

This is our £45m record signing (on initial outlay). His role under Silva was to receive passes in tight spaces with with one touch get a shot or brave pass off to try and create a goal. So why can't his experience at 29 years of age get him to take the ball and pass forwards just because he's playing 20 yards deeper?

It's not acceptable. Simple as that. IF we are playing 442 he has no future here and like others, I wouldn't at this stage be trusting him at number 10 / second striker in a different system.

It's best for all parties he moves on.

It's not all bad. We only have to put up with him for another two seasons or so, at a cost of around £100,000 per week, then he'll be gone ;) Unless another club comes in for him of course. Will be interesting to see what he would go for and the type of 'hit' we'd take on the initial £40m/£45m paid (not counting the £15m (app) paid in wages so far).

I've been a Sig' zealot mate. I graciously disagree with @mikeh72 on last season. I thought he fulfilled his role well.

But. BUT.

He's been absolutely pathetic this season overall. And Sunday was the tip of the iceberg.

Watching him usher players on like he's some sort of brain of the team, putting responsibility on everyone but himself, is bordering on a disgrace now. Jorginho at Chelsea does this too but he takes the ball, moves the team forward and is all-round a fantastic midfield 'hub' even though he can't run.

Gylfi would have my sympathy if he was 21, 22, playing in an unusual position, out of form and playing too safe as a consequence.

This is our £45m record signing (on initial outlay). His role under Silva was to receive passes in tight spaces with with one touch get a shot or brave pass off to try and create a goal. So why can't his experience at 29 years of age get him to take the ball and pass forwards just because he's playing 20 yards deeper?

It's not acceptable. Simple as that. IF we are playing 442 he has no future here and like others, I wouldn't at this stage be trusting him at number 10 / second striker in a different system.

Good stuff mate, im not trying to win hearts and minds and i know im breaking ranks on pages and pages of basically the same post about him being gash, just stating my judgement and giving the context of weighing that judgement.

I think hes a talented player and a proven PL effective player - last year is a case in point. You look at Maddison and Grealish and you see the cost of that type of attacking return from someone playing between the lines, both are posting numbers less then Gylfi last year. As i said im not blind, i see hes not a 6 or 8, do i think he wants to play there? no not really, hes being a pro. Do i think hes good there, no not really. Hes a 10, at a push a wing forward, all day for me, but 10 is the number and when he got a run in the team there, he posted 13 goals and was very impactful, in fact match winning so.

Are we in a position to be binning players capable of bagging double digits in the PL, not in my opinion no. So where are we? A spot were we are playing one of the most impactful no 10's last season at 6 - that is down to poor recruitment to be honest, so i do have sympathy. Say Leicester sell Maddison and buy Gylfi would i bet against him not getting double digits next season given a run at 10, i wouldnt take on the bet to be honest.

That leaves me with the question, is the problem Gylfi or Everton. Its been a poor move for him, if he knew he would be playing under 6 managers in 3 years, be shunted around the field and playing a fair chunk of it as a play maker with no striker to aim at - i doubt he would have made the move. Its all well and good saying someone isnt good enough for us, but i think there needs to be a recognition that the environment has been terrible and not given him the foundation to work in, my opinion of course.

So where does that leave us, a cross roads certainly, the move hasnt worked out for him, i wouldnt blame him at looking for a move if an offer came in, there are less chaotic environments to work in. But does he still have a value for us, i have for the last few weeks that 4-4-2 has been made redundant, i actually dont think we persevere with it beyond this season as i think its to simple to work out and teams have cottoned on to it. So going on we could see something like a 4-2-3-1 - and variants does Gylfi have a role between the lines, i would think so myself.

All opinions of course, but as i said Gylfi is someone i have a lot of sympathy for given the chaotic environment he has worked in since being here, 1 season in my opinion we played him right and flourished, that begs the question is the problem us or Gylfi. if nothing else its a trigger for reflection, rather then black and white thinking.

Last edited:
Good stuff mate, im not trying to win hearts and minds and i know im breaking ranks on pages and pages of basically the same post about him being gash, just stating my judgement and giving the context of weighing that judgement.

I think hes a talented player and a proven PL effective player - last year is a case in point. You look at Maddison and Grealish and you see the cost of that type of attacking return from someone playing between the lines, both are posting numbers less then Gylfi last year. As i said im not blind, i see hes not a 6 or 8, do i think he wants to play there? no not really, hes being a pro. Do i think hes good there, no not really. Hes a 10, at a push a wing forward, all day for me, but 10 is the number and when he got a run in the team there, he posted 13 goals and was very impactful, in fact match winning so.

Are we in a position to be binning players capable of bagging double digits in the PL, not in my opinion no. So where are we? A spot were we are playing one of the most impactful no 10's last season at 6 - that is down to poor recruitment to be honest, so i do have sympathy. Say Leicester sell Maddison and buy Gylfi would i bet against him not getting double digits next season given a run at 10, i wouldnt take on the bet to be honest.

That leaves me with the question, is the problem Gylfi or Everton. Its been a poor move for him, if he knew he would be playing under 6 managers in 3 years, be shunted around the field and playing a fair chunk of it as a play maker with no striker to aim at - i doubt he would have made the move. Its all well and good saying someone isnt good enough for us, but i think there needs to be a recognition that the environment has been terrible and not given him the foundation to work in, my opinion of course.

So where does that leave us, a cross roads certainly, the move hasnt worked out for him, i wouldnt blame him at looking for a move if an offer came in, there are less chaotic environments to work in. But does he still have a value for us, i have for the last few weeks that 4-4-2 has been made redundant, i actually dont think we persevere with it beyond this season as i think its to simple to work out and teams have cottoned on to it. So going on we could see something like a 4-2-3-1 - and variants does Gylfi have a role between the lines, i would think so myself.

All opinions of course, but as i said Gylfi is someone i have a lot of sympathy for given the chaotic environment he has worked in since being here, 1 season in my opinion we played him right and flourished, that begs the question is the problem us or Gylfi. if nothing else its a trigger for reflection, rather then black and white thinking.

A long bit of spiel but if he is genuinely talented then no matter what position on the field is played it should show but it has not. His passing is not that good, nor his shooting not to mention his ;lack of success with penalties. etc, etc.

But. BUT.

No chance with the pay packet he gets.

giphy.gif

The problem is Gylfi. I'm amazed you can't see that but, then again, you did say the following about Iwobi!

Sorry a chara are you comparing our squad to one with Ozil, Lacazette, Toerrira, Auba, Suarez, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey, Bellerin, Kosciely, Cech, Iwobi. If we signed one of those players it would be one of our greatest transfers ever and this place would melt down.

I disagree on Emery as well, i think he varies his system a lot from game to game, he very rarely sticks to the same team or system.

You were right about one thing. After signing Iwobi this place did melt down.

Status
Not open for further replies.