2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff mate, im not trying to win hearts and minds and i know im breaking ranks on pages and pages of basically the same post about him being gash, just stating my judgement and giving the context of weighing that judgement.

I think hes a talented player and a proven PL effective player - last year is a case in point. You look at Maddison and Grealish and you see the cost of that type of attacking return from someone playing between the lines, both are posting numbers less then Gylfi last year. As i said im not blind, i see hes not a 6 or 8, do i think he wants to play there? no not really, hes being a pro. Do i think hes good there, no not really. Hes a 10, at a push a wing forward, all day for me, but 10 is the number and when he got a run in the team there, he posted 13 goals and was very impactful, in fact match winning so.

Are we in a position to be binning players capable of bagging double digits in the PL, not in my opinion no. So where are we? A spot were we are playing one of the most impactful no 10's last season at 6 - that is down to poor recruitment to be honest, so i do have sympathy. Say Leicester sell Maddison and buy Gylfi would i bet against him not getting double digits next season given a run at 10, i wouldnt take on the bet to be honest.

That leaves me with the question, is the problem Gylfi or Everton. Its been a poor move for him, if he knew he would be playing under 6 managers in 3 years, be shunted around the field and playing a fair chunk of it as a play maker with no striker to aim at - i doubt he would have made the move. Its all well and good saying someone isnt good enough for us, but i think there needs to be a recognition that the environment has been terrible and not given him the foundation to work in, my opinion of course.

So where does that leave us, a cross roads certainly, the move hasnt worked out for him, i wouldnt blame him at looking for a move if an offer came in, there are less chaotic environments to work in. But does he still have a value for us, i have for the last few weeks that 4-4-2 has been made redundant, i actually dont think we persevere with it beyond this season as i think its to simple to work out and teams have cottoned on to it. So going on we could see something like a 4-2-3-1 - and variants does Gylfi have a role between the lines, i would think so myself.

All opinions of course, but as i said Gylfi is someone i have a lot of sympathy for given the chaotic environment he has worked in since being here, 1 season in my opinion we played him right and flourished, that begs the question is the problem us or Gylfi. if nothing else its a trigger for reflection, rather then black and white thinking.

If a manager of the calibre of Ancelloti can`t get a tune out of him mate, I`d say the answer is pretty obvious.

The only place he`d flourish is the likes of the MLS

The problem is Gylfi. I'm amazed you can't see that but, then again, you did say the following about Iwobi!

You were right about one thing. After signing Iwobi this place did melt down.

Ha ha, nice find mate, god bless your memory, interest and time on your hands.. I haven't written Iwobi off either, in all honesty i know there is a bit quality in there, i liked him a lot at Arsenal, hes been awful here admittedly. Ive better ones then that in the vault though, a corker on Jags.

Like your good self, judgement often these days can be a bit hasty, reactionary and polarised.

One of the greatest gifts in life is the ability not to always to be right, but risk and have no care of being wrong and speak freely. i oft worry about the site and the lack of diversity in opinion, take this thread its just pages of the same thing with very little substance or debate. Every so often it needs a stir. ;)

Let's break down the Super 13 from last season for a bit of light fun, seeing as people assume that he was somehow instrumental last season based solely on his goal return.

- West Ham at home. Lost 3-1. Sigurdsson was appalling in this game and scored a header just before half time, then disappeared for the second half.

- Fulham at home. Won 3-0. Sigurdsson played well in this game after the penalty miss, scored two good finishes. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Leicester away. Won 2-1 Scored a cracking goal to win the game. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Man Utd away. Lost 2-1. Abysmal performance from Sigurdsson in which he pretty much hid for the entirety. Scored a penalty with his 3rd touch of the game.

- Cardiff at home. Won 1-0. A very quiet game but popped up with the winning tap in. I'll give him a very generous +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Spurs at home. Lost 6-2. A shambles of a defensive performance and Sigurdsson appeared in the 60th minute to slot a consolation when 4-1 down. Completely anonymous cowardly performance.

- Burnley away. Won 5-1. Scored a penalty but also had an assist for Richarlison. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Southampton away. Lost 2-1. The absolute worst performance of the entire season from him, and very possibly in his top 5 worst performances in an Everton shirt. Pops up with the last kick of the game to score a consolation. Woeful.

- Cardiff away. Won 3-0. Scores two great finishes, his best game of the season. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Chelsea at home. Won 2-0. Scores a penalty rebound after a piss poor effort. Does absolutely nothing else either before or after this in the match.

- Man Utd at home. Won 4-0. Scores a long range finish that the keeper should save, but has an assist and generally a very good game. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

Having reviewed his goals from last season, it appears only 6 of these 13 goals came in matches where he actually played well. Now of course there were a few games in which he played well and didn't score, like Southampton at home and West Ham away. However, this is simply a rebuttal to the notion that BUT E SCORED FURTEEN GOALZ DOE is an acceptable justification that he performed well for the majority of last season.

Feel free to argue til you're blue in the face that he was boss in every single game last season, but please stop using the goal tally as justification. Thanks for reading.

Good stuff mate, im not trying to win hearts and minds and i know im breaking ranks on pages and pages of basically the same post about him being gash, just stating my judgement and giving the context of weighing that judgement.

I think hes a talented player and a proven PL effective player - last year is a case in point. You look at Maddison and Grealish and you see the cost of that type of attacking return from someone playing between the lines, both are posting numbers less then Gylfi last year. As i said im not blind, i see hes not a 6 or 8, do i think he wants to play there? no not really, hes being a pro. Do i think hes good there, no not really. Hes a 10, at a push a wing forward, all day for me, but 10 is the number and when he got a run in the team there, he posted 13 goals and was very impactful, in fact match winning so.

Are we in a position to be binning players capable of bagging double digits in the PL, not in my opinion no. So where are we? A spot were we are playing one of the most impactful no 10's last season at 6 - that is down to poor recruitment to be honest, so i do have sympathy. Say Leicester sell Maddison and buy Gylfi would i bet against him not getting double digits next season given a run at 10, i wouldnt take on the bet to be honest.

That leaves me with the question, is the problem Gylfi or Everton. Its been a poor move for him, if he knew he would be playing under 6 managers in 3 years, be shunted around the field and playing a fair chunk of it as a play maker with no striker to aim at - i doubt he would have made the move. Its all well and good saying someone isnt good enough for us, but i think there needs to be a recognition that the environment has been terrible and not given him the foundation to work in, my opinion of course.

So where does that leave us, a cross roads certainly, the move hasnt worked out for him, i wouldnt blame him at looking for a move if an offer came in, there are less chaotic environments to work in. But does he still have a value for us, i have for the last few weeks that 4-4-2 has been made redundant, i actually dont think we persevere with it beyond this season as i think its to simple to work out and teams have cottoned on to it. So going on we could see something like a 4-2-3-1 - and variants does Gylfi have a role between the lines, i would think so myself.

All opinions of course, but as i said Gylfi is someone i have a lot of sympathy for given the chaotic environment he has worked in since being here, 1 season in my opinion we played him right and flourished, that begs the question is the problem us or Gylfi. if nothing else its a trigger for reflection, rather then black and white thinking.

Madison is grossly over-rated

Ha ha, nice find mate, god bless your memory, interest and time on your hands.. I haven't written Iwobi off either, in all honesty i know there is a bit quality in there, i liked him a lot at Arsenal, hes been awful here admittedly. Ive better ones then that in the vault though, a corker on Jags.

Like your good self, judgement often these days can be a bit hasty, reactionary and polarised.

One of the greatest gifts in life is the ability not to always to be right, but risk and have no care of being wrong and speak freely. i oft worry about the site and the lack of diversity in opinion, take this thread its just pages of the same thing with very little substance or debate. Every so often it needs a stir. ;)
I'm sorry you think I am hasty, reactionary and polarised! I was only teasing. I actually found that quote of yours when I was trying to vault someone else!

The only reason I can think he is being played is to put him in the shop window. However with these performances he is more likely to be putting off any potential buyers.

Let's break down the Super 13 from last season for a bit of light fun, seeing as people assume that he was somehow instrumental last season based solely on his goal return.

- West Ham at home. Lost 3-1. Sigurdsson was appalling in this game and scored a header just before half time, then disappeared for the second half.

- Fulham at home. Won 3-0. Sigurdsson played well in this game after the penalty miss, scored two good finishes. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Leicester away. Won 2-1 Scored a cracking goal to win the game. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Man Utd away. Lost 2-1. Abysmal performance from Sigurdsson in which he pretty much hid for the entirety. Scored a penalty with his 3rd touch of the game.

- Cardiff at home. Won 1-0. A very quiet game but popped up with the winning tap in. I'll give him a very generous +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Spurs at home. Lost 6-2. A shambles of a defensive performance and Sigurdsson appeared in the 60th minute to slot a consolation when 4-1 down. Completely anonymous cowardly performance.

- Burnley away. Won 5-1. Scored a penalty but also had an assist for Richarlison. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Southampton away. Lost 2-1. The absolute worst performance of the entire season from him, and very possibly in his top 5 worst performances in an Everton shirt. Pops up with the last kick of the game to score a consolation. Woeful.

- Cardiff away. Won 3-0. Scores two great finishes, his best game of the season. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

- Chelsea at home. Won 2-0. Scores a penalty rebound after a piss poor effort. Does absolutely nothing else either before or after this in the match.

- Man Utd at home. Won 4-0. Scores a long range finish that the keeper should save, but has an assist and generally a very good game. +1 GOOD GAME BONUS

Having reviewed his goals from last season, it appears only 6 of these 13 goals came in matches where he actually played well. Now of course there were a few games in which he played well and didn't score, like Southampton at home and West Ham away. However, this is simply a rebuttal to the notion that BUT E SCORED FURTEEN GOALZ DOE is an acceptable justification that he performed well for the majority of last season.

Feel free to argue til you're blue in the face that he was boss in every single game last season, but please stop using the goal tally as justification. Thanks for reading.
Nice work.

4 consolation goals
3 pens (1 being a rebound)

The goal tally doesn't look so good under the microscope and certainly doesn't justify his continued shambolic presence in the team.

Ha ha, what even is that. In other news awarded 52 + played out of position points, because i decided when i made up a useless, irrelevant and personally subjective scoring system in my head based on on my own flawed opinions of th game. Its all the rage. lollollol

Sigurdsson is shocking and I want him gone as much as anyone else but I really don't like when people do this to drive home an agenda because you could genuinely do it for every player.

How's that driving an agenda any more than those trotting out his goals last year in defence of him?
@RickyRider going into ultra 'debunk' mode to make strange points using odd metrics in defence of him is stupid sure, but also going into debunk mode to selectively diminish his goals tally to make points to criticise him is just as stupid, imo.
Is either without merit? Probably not but we all know number of goals scored is only ever a rough-at-best indicator of performance - but its still an indicator of performance regardless if whether they 'matter' or not. Just because its Sigurdsson and the vast, vast majority (me included) want him gone now doesn't change that its doing the same as Rickyrider just for the opposite reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.