Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a widely regarded fact we have very finite resources at the moment and we are also fairly close to some financial rule breaking. Why on earth are we going to spend all the time and effort to sell Jordan Pickford to someone (who’s going to take him?) and then spend all that time finding someone on the cheap who is either “as good as” as you put it or slightly better than Pickford? When we have to prioritise other areas. Transfers take ages and are hugely complex requiring this prioritisation.

I get a lot of posters in here love the transfer window and it’s obviously the best part of football for some of you because you get a nice warm fuzzy when you see a player hold up that shirt but let’s be realistic shall we?

We need an entirely new midfield, at least one winger, a right back and a centre half before we’re even thinking about replacing Pickford for someone who’s “a bit better”.
I didn't say we should sell him? I was just commenting on the fact that he could be replaced without breaking the bank. Although i'm confused as to how you think:
a) Nobody will take him
and
b) We couldn't possibly find anybody as good as him

Are compatible statements.

Yes he’s been badly on the decline for about 3 seasons now.

Also as for baby hart, I wouldn’t say before it was the polar opposite, other than his debut season where he was best of a bad bunch in our squad, he’s been bang average to crap over his career, he’s just had this weird hype around him because his style is different from the normal British keeper and he had the massive fee Attached to him that we were foolish enough to pay

It's very possible, but my view is he's being wrote off far too easily.

And in his debut season he was genuinely brilliant. Mad rewrite of history to suggest otherwise. And he was extremely solid at Sunderland too.

Donnarumma
Allan
Stones

Sell Pickford, Davies, Keane

DONE

Id be interested in seeing Pickford with Holgate and Keane ahead of him and Stones in that hybrid RB / RCB position Coleman is playing.

Just quite an old fashioned 4 English players together. Would be pretty cool.

If we signed Donnarumma then would probably not go for Stones, Romagnoli to continue the Milan Italian link perhaps...

You think tehre's a lot of good goalkeepers in Italy too, even if we couldn't prize him away.

lots of good keepers around...not many top notch ones thesedays though!!

Seems a definite overall drop in quality.

Think that's vastly underrating him sorry. There's a reason he's England #1.

He's had a prolonged bad patch. It happens. 26, nowhere near his peak as a goalkeeper.

What it is is that people can't forgive him for the Origi goal and so he has to be comparable to Buffon to even have a chance of redemption.

For me it's the form is temporary class is permanent argument. I've seen enough to be fairly confident that he's potentially an excellent goalkeeper, but mentally he needs to mature.

We're not Barcelona; we aren't going to be bringing in the finished article in every position. The next best thing is investing time in players who could come very good in years to come.

For me, replacing Pickford with a no mark keeper does nothing.

i agree, a 26 year old England international keeper...easy to forget he's still got 10 years in him if things go well.

Could just be a season blip, after all didnt he finish 3rd in golden gloves last season or have i made that up?

If he can stay as England 1st choice and keep Henderson out then he'll be worth a lot more after the Euros as well.

To be fair we had a decent defensive record under silva. In terms of allowing the opposition chances. I’m sure I read we were 5th for shots on our goal at one point. Pickford has been one of the worst in the league for save to shot ratio.

I do like Pickford, but this season and tail end of last season hes had some shocking mistakes.

On form hes one of the best in the league and we need him to improve not to continue this poor form.

He did say England had negatively affected him and Keane has had issues with his frame of mind as well but hes just put in 2 amazing performances with Pickford keeping 2 clean sheets.

Donnarumma is a clown. Whilst selling Pickford wouldn't be the worst thing in the world replacing him with another hothead who's prone to costly mistakes is not the answer.

Youve highlighted a handful of mistakes a keeper has made since making his debut for AC Milan at 16 and being the italy keeper at 17 + had a major confidence issue during a contract dispute where the fans turned on him.

16-21 as AC Milan keeper and 17-21 in the Italy squad is some going.

Also i watched his debut on TV lol

Hes brilliant.

He's worse than the goalkeeper at Palace, Newcastle, Sheffield United, West Ham, Wolves and Burnley. It isn't wanting to be Barcelona it is wanting to be competent.

Hes not worse though. Hes far far far better than any of their keepers including Henderson. The snag with Pickford is mental. Hes either over or low on confidence and has clangers.

If Ancelotti can iron those out then hes one of the leagues best.

Pickford is first choice goalkeeper for the international team. He is a good age and can improve further.
As soon as our defence starts to look more solid, so too will our goalkeeper.
You can take any goalkeeper in the world , put him behind the defence we have had over the last couple of seasons and he will look bad.

We paid 25m for Michael Keane and at times over the last couple of seasons he looked as if he wasn't worth 5m.
At the moment with a manager who knows how to organise a team he looks full value for money.

Sigurdsson, I don't think anybody ever will understand that transfer, I would guess that Swansea were as surprised to get the money as we were to pay it.

It will definitely change some opinions i think if the defence performs over the next 7 games and Pickford continues keeping clean sheets.

It could be crucial for Pickford next season as well to have a final run of games where he will be able to hopefully settle and calm down and iron out the rash mistakes he makes.

Having said that, if an offer similar to the Kepa fee landed on Brands desk and Ancelotti sanctioned it + they both agreed on a replacement id be quite excited about who we bring in.

He carries a premium and I wonder how much damage we could do in the market with a huge fee coming in and a clearance of a lot of deadwood.

A 'consistent fact' because you can name 5 people who in your subjective opinion peaked in that bracket. Well that's me shown and no mistake.

Just off the top of my head.

Look, my point is binning off players - especially goalkeepers - on form alone, especially when this one was exceptional for England at a World Cup and was our Player of the Year not too long ago - is a decision not to be taken lightly.

Neville Southall in '82 was dropped for Jim Arnold and loaned out after we got battered in a derby and due to overall poor form. He didn't get his place back really until late 1983. In todays' world, you'd have people on forums screaming for Southall to be bombed out in 1983 and we miss out on one of the greatest goalkeepers ever.

If there were a clearly better option to bring in for roughly the same money we'd get for him, then fine - but there isn't. There's hundreds of flavours of the month, and all you do is end up signing the equivalent of Begovic.

Id be interested in seeing Pickford with Holgate and Keane ahead of him and Stones in that hybrid RB / RCB position Coleman is playing.

Just quite an old fashioned 4 English players together. Would be pretty cool.

If we signed Donnarumma then would probably not go for Stones, Romagnoli to continue the Milan Italian link perhaps...

lots of good keepers around...not many top notch ones thesedays though!!

Seems a definite overall drop in quality.

i agree, a 26 year old England international keeper...easy to forget he's still got 10 years in him if things go well.

Could just be a season blip, after all didnt he finish 3rd in golden gloves last season or have i made that up?

If he can stay as England 1st choice and keep Henderson out then he'll be worth a lot more after the Euros as well.

I do like Pickford, but this season and tail end of last season hes had some shocking mistakes.

On form hes one of the best in the league and we need him to improve not to continue this poor form.

He did say England had negatively affected him and Keane has had issues with his frame of mind as well but hes just put in 2 amazing performances with Pickford keeping 2 clean sheets.

Youve highlighted a handful of mistakes a keeper has made since making his debut for AC Milan at 16 and being the italy keeper at 17 + had a major confidence issue during a contract dispute where the fans turned on him.

16-21 as AC Milan keeper and 17-21 in the Italy squad is some going.

Also i watched his debut on TV lol

Hes brilliant.

Hes not worse though. Hes far far far better than any of their keepers including Henderson. The snag with Pickford is mental. Hes either over or low on confidence and has clangers.

If Ancelotti can iron those out then hes one of the leagues best.

It will definitely change some opinions i think if the defence performs over the next 7 games and Pickford continues keeping clean sheets.

It could be crucial for Pickford next season as well to have a final run of games where he will be able to hopefully settle and calm down and iron out the rash mistakes he makes.

Having said that, if an offer similar to the Kepa fee landed on Brands desk and Ancelotti sanctioned it + they both agreed on a replacement id be quite excited about who we bring in.

He carries a premium and I wonder how much damage we could do in the market with a huge fee coming in and a clearance of a lot of deadwood.
Regardless of what the holdup is his performances are bottom third or quarter of the league this season. It's a real problem.

Just off the top of my head.

Look, my point is binning off players - especially goalkeepers - on form alone, especially when this one was exceptional for England at a World Cup and was our Player of the Year not too long ago - is a decision not to be taken lightly.

Neville Southall in '82 was dropped for Jim Arnold and loaned out after we got battered in a derby and due to overall poor form. He didn't get his place back really until late 1983. In todays' world, you'd have people on forums screaming for Southall to be bombed out in 1983 and we miss out on one of the greatest goalkeepers ever.

If there were a clearly better option to bring in for roughly the same money we'd get for him, then fine - but there isn't. There's hundreds of flavours of the month, and all you do is end up signing the equivalent of Begovic.
Again, I’m not saying we desperately need to ship him out. All I’m saying is I don’t think he’s that great, and I honestly think we could replace him for a lot less than people think. But on the improvement thing it’s just a bugbear because it gets said all the time and it’s simply not true. Keeper is just like every other position on the pitch; you reach your peak when you reach your peak. For every player you’ve named there’s a Richard Wright or a Paul Robinson who peaked much earlier. It’s the idea that he’s just bound to get better that makes me laugh, it’s just a repeated factoid based on no evidence.

Again, I’m not saying we desperately need to ship him out. All I’m saying is I don’t think he’s that great, and I honestly think we could replace him for a lot less than people think. But on the improvement thing it’s just a bugbear because it gets said all the time and it’s simply not true. Keeper is just like every other position on the pitch; you reach your peak when you reach your peak. For every player you’ve named there’s a Richard Wright or a Paul Robinson who peaked much earlier. It’s the idea that he’s just bound to get better that makes me laugh, it’s just a repeated factoid based on no evidence.

I haven't said he's bound to get better. I'm saying that he might, and unless we can bring in someone who is substantially better or has a higher ceiling, then there's no point.

https://www.[Publication is blackli...d-whispers-about-sensational-everton-reunion/

John Stones wouldnt play for us again if we paid him 500k a week.
I don't think CA would want him even if he did. I think the manager like defenders who do their job simply and well.
I have noticed with both Holgate and Keane that their defending is very simple, they take no chances, they knock the ball well out of play and get back into position.
I think I would call it very Italian defending.

John Stones wouldnt play for us again if we paid him 500k a week.

Would do well in our setup...

I think he'd be happy to play for Ancelotti and alongside England teammates Pickford, Keane and Delph with DCL and Holgate there too...

Also probably wants to stroke Davies hair.

I don't think CA would want him even if he did. I think the manager like defenders who do their job simply and well.
I have noticed with both Holgate and Keane that their defending is very simple, they take no chances, they knock the ball well out of play and get back into position.
I think I would call it very Italian defending.

I think Martinez and Pep have encouraged that side and Ancelotti would be more likely i think to tell him to stick to the basics and let your quality shine through.

Only just turned 26 and still time for Ancelotti to mould him.

Status
Not open for further replies.