Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickford is first choice goalkeeper for the international team. He is a good age and can improve further.
As soon as our defence starts to look more solid, so too will our goalkeeper.
You can take any goalkeeper in the world , put him behind the defence we have had over the last couple of seasons and he will look bad.

We paid 25m for Michael Keane and at times over the last couple of seasons he looked as if he wasn't worth 5m.
At the moment with a manager who knows how to organise a team he looks full value for money.

Sigurdsson, I don't think anybody ever will understand that transfer, I would guess that Swansea were as surprised to get the money as we were to pay it.

Believe it or not, on here the majority of people were fully for that signing. People pointing out the stupidity of it were in the minority.

Think that's vastly underrating him sorry. There's a reason he's England #1.

He's had a prolonged bad patch. It happens. 26, nowhere near his peak as a goalkeeper.

What it is is that people can't forgive him for the Origi goal and so he has to be comparable to Buffon to even have a chance of redemption.

For me it's the form is temporary class is permanent argument. I've seen enough to be fairly confident that he's potentially an excellent goalkeeper, but mentally he needs to mature.

We're not Barcelona; we aren't going to be bringing in the finished article in every position. The next best thing is investing time in players who could come very good in years to come.

For me, replacing Pickford with a no mark keeper does nothing.
What age are you thinking keepers peak? Of the so called 'top 6' 4 of them have keepers 27 or under, the two that don't (Lloris and De Gea) were unquestionably at their best when they were younger. Of course Pickford could get better, but this idea that it's a given and the natural thing to happen is just bonkers. It's like people read something about keepers improving with age in Shoot in 1993 and just repeat it as a fact.

No offence but I hate it when people say this. It's not our job to know who they are, but clearly they exist. Players like Guaita and Dubravka are at least as good as Pickford and cost a fraction of the price, but I couldn't have named them for you before they moved to the PL. I'm genuinely not convinced Pickford is much better than Joel was in the end to be honest, I would be amazed if there aren't dozens of keepers we could sign for £10m or less who would have no detrimental impact on the team.
It’s a widely regarded fact we have very finite resources at the moment and we are also fairly close to some financial rule breaking. Why on earth are we going to spend all the time and effort to sell Jordan Pickford to someone (who’s going to take him?) and then spend all that time finding someone on the cheap who is either “as good as” as you put it or slightly better than Pickford? When we have to prioritise other areas. Transfers take ages and are hugely complex requiring this prioritisation.

I get a lot of posters in here love the transfer window and it’s obviously the best part of football for some of you because you get a nice warm fuzzy when you see a player hold up that shirt but let’s be realistic shall we?

We need an entirely new midfield, at least one winger, a right back and a centre half before we’re even thinking about replacing Pickford for someone who’s “a bit better”.

Pickford is first choice goalkeeper for the international team. He is a good age and can improve further.
As soon as our defence starts to look more solid, so too will our goalkeeper.
You can take any goalkeeper in the world , put him behind the defence we have had over the last couple of seasons and he will look bad.

We paid 25m for Michael Keane and at times over the last couple of seasons he looked as if he wasn't worth 5m.
At the moment with a manager who knows how to organise a team he looks full value for money.

Sigurdsson, I don't think anybody ever will understand that transfer, I would guess that Swansea were as surprised to get the money as we were to pay it.
Or you could flip it and say with a competent commanding keeper the defence would look much better. Statistically the defence have been doing their jobs when it comes to giving up fewer chances on goal, his save % is just that bad, amongst the worst in the league, points to him being more of the problem and not the defenders in front

What age are you thinking keepers peak? Of the so called 'top 6' 4 of them have keepers 27 or under, the two that don't (Lloris and De Gea) were unquestionably at their best when they were younger. Of course Pickford could get better, but this idea that it's a given and the natural thing to happen is just bonkers. It's like people read something about keepers improving with age in Shoot in 1993 and just repeat it as a fact.

They peak 28-34. This is a consistent fact over decades. Neuer, Buffon, Casillas, Van der Sar, Kahn etc. all post-1993.

It's because the position relies more on mentality and positioning over athleticism.

Nobody in their right mind thinks the likes of Ederson or Donnarumma are at their best now.

It’s a widely regarded fact we have very finite resources at the moment and we are also fairly close to some financial rule breaking. Why on earth are we going to spend all the time and effort to sell Jordan Pickford to someone (who’s going to take him?) and then spend all that time finding someone on the cheap who is either “as good as” as you put it or slightly better than Pickford? When we have to prioritise other areas. Transfers take ages and are hugely complex requiring this prioritisation.

I get a lot of posters in here love the transfer window and it’s obviously the best part of football for some of you because you get a nice warm fuzzy when you see a player hold up that shirt but let’s be realistic shall we?

We need an entirely new midfield, at least one winger, a right back and a centre half before we’re even thinking about replacing Pickford for someone who’s “a bit better”.
You kind of answered you own question. We don't have a lot of resources and any chance to get more has to be looked at.

Or you could flip it and say with a competent commanding keeper the defence would look much better. Statistically the defence have been doing their jobs when it comes to giving up fewer chances on goal, his save % is just that bad, amongst the worst in the league, points to him being more of the problem and not the defenders in front

Yes but before that, it was the polar opposite. So isn't it just possible he's went through a bad patch.

De Gea has been terrible for a long time now - should he be binned off and replaced with the flavour of the month too?

People really underrate him. It would take 50m plus to tempt us to sell.

He's not world class obviously but people make out like he's no better than a Jan Mucha.
i think its the opposite. Some cling on to the hope that he’s going to come good and claim he is a way better player than he’s ever shown signs of being. He’s okay to good on a good day and real terrible the rest of the time. If theres a highish chance your GK will let in soft goals he’s not a good keeper. He seems destined for the championship to me. Thats more to his level.

i think its the opposite. Some cling on to the hope that he’s going to come good and claim he is a way better player than he’s ever shown signs of being. He’s okay to good on a good day and real terrible the rest of the time. If theres a highish chance your GK will let in soft goals he’s not a good keeper. He seems destined for the championship to me. Thats more to his level.

Haha alright sure.

This forum sometimes...

They peak 28-34. This is a consistent fact over decades. Neuer, Buffon, Casillas, Van der Sar, Kahn etc. all post-1993.

It's because the position relies more on mentality and positioning over athleticism.

Nobody in their right mind thinks the likes of Ederson or Donnarumma are at their best now.
A 'consistent fact' because you can name 5 people who in your subjective opinion peaked in that bracket. Well that's me shown and no mistake.

Yes but before that, it was the polar opposite. So isn't it just possible he's went through a bad patch.

De Gea has been terrible for a long time now - should he be binned off and replaced with the flavour of the month too?
Yes he’s been badly on the decline for about 3 seasons now.

Also as for baby hart, I wouldn’t say before it was the polar opposite, other than his debut season where he was best of a bad bunch in our squad, he’s been bang average to crap over his career, he’s just had this weird hype around him because his style is different from the normal British keeper and he had the massive fee Attached to him that we were foolish enough to pay

This is a myth though. He’s always let in a lot of goals. Just look at his stats. He’s never been rock solid at the back and isnt showing signs of changint that. Id like him to become a monster for us, but i dont see it. We’d be lucky to get our money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.