Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with a lot of that. However I am not sure it's the only way to be successful. If we were following that pattern we would go and sign say, Havertz and Sancho this summer- but we know neither would join us. 4 years in and it's very difficult to get players to join us. We attract the level down, your Kean's, your Vlasics, your Iwobi and the levels of inconsistency frustrate fans.

I think the other point to note in this, is young players playing in a struggling team don't really improve. Stones was great when he first arrived into a settled back line, and went backwards after that. You need a balance of youth and experience to be successful.

We are not dining at the same table as Liverpool, or City. So occasionally short cuts are needed. Personally I would sign Koulibaly from Napoli rather than Allen, but if the player shows value then it's the right move. I see people say signing Allen can never be a value signing. I don't understand that. I can understand the position that spending £50m is not value. However what if we got him for £10m? Where is the cut off point? Surely we would be better saying paying big money and handing out long contracts for older players is the issue, as opposed to a blanket belief on not signing them?
It doesn't have to he Sancho and Havertz though. We could have signed Brandt two years ago for example and that would have been just as good. The idea is to get Sancho before he's Sancho.

There is a point where Allan would be decent value but Napoli aren't allowing that.

It doesn't have to he Sancho and Havertz though. We could have signed Brandt two years ago for example and that would have been just as good. The idea is to get Sancho before he's Sancho.

There is a point where Allan would be decent value but Napoli aren't allowing that.
Could we have? I doubt it very much.

Could we have? I doubt it very much.
Probably should have said three years ago. Point being he was really good from the start and if we put the money out right away it probably could have been done.

That's not even the best example tbh. But the idea is to get guys before they're the level that someone like Havertz is now or Sancho is now. It is exactly what Dortmund do, although they have more clout in the market than we do.

Probably should have said three years ago. Point being he was really good from the start and if we put the money out right away it probably could have been done.

That's not even the best example tbh. But the idea is to get guys before they're the level that someone like Havertz is now or Sancho is now. It is exactly what Dortmund do, although they have more clout in the market than we do.
Dortmund are a hybrid model of potential and established players. Hence them being able to bring in players like Brandt and Haaland. They’re younger but highly rated at the time of purchase. Dortmund has the clout to get them. We don’t.

It’s guys like Akanji that need to be identified and bought from lower leagues. And players like Pulisic that they actually bring through that separates them.

Dortmund are a hybrid model of potential and established players. Hence them being able to bring in players like Brandt and Haaland. They’re younger but highly rated at the time of purchase. Dortmund has the clout to get them. We don’t.

It’s guys like Akanji that need to be identified and bought from lower leagues. And players like Pulisic that they actually bring through that separates them.
Even though Haaland and Brandt are huge signings, they still fit into the same model as someone like Akanji. It's just we have to live off the second type as the first are out of range. But it goes back to what I said at some point earlier--I think that is possible to pull off if we commit to it.

Even though Haaland and Brandt are huge signings, they still fit into the same model as someone like Akanji. It's just we have to live off the second type as the first are out of range. But it goes back to what I said at some point earlier--I think that is possible to pull off if we commit to it.
We couldn't have got Haaland at the point Dortmund did though, that's the issue. We could have got him, but earlier, and then you don't know how things will turn out. Would he have been ready to play in the PL at that point? If he wasn't, would not playing have stunted his development? Would he even have come without assurances over playing time? Would he have had the same impact coming into a struggling team as he did going to a team dominating their league? It's not that simple.

The ones I think we need to be identifying earlier aren't necessarily the superstars, it's the players who are just good to have. We've been linked with Hojberg for example, for double what Southampton paid for him. He would have been good enough to play for us at any point since he went there, we need to get in there earlier for players like him.

I don't believe there is a huge rebuilding job to be done on the squad. I think the basis is already there for a very good team, there are also a number of players who could rise to the desired level or could in time leave the club.

We have a squad with a lot of young players and in my opinion as well as bringing in young talent we need a couple of older more experienced players.... and above everything else we need to sign a couple of leaders.

At present I think that Pickford, Digne, Gomes, Holgate, Richarlison and DCL are players that would be welcome in the squads of most clubs including those at the very top of the table.
Gbamin is in a different category because he would seem to be the type of player we need but we have never really seen what he is capable of.

I think there are a number of others that could prove to be of a high standard but as yet have not done so as yet. Alex Iwobi, Tom Davies, Lewis Gibson, Anthony Gordon, JonJoe Kenny are ones that spring quickly to mind and I sure I am forgetting a couple.

I know that some on here will rubbish some of those names but then they rubbished Holgate, DCL and others before as well so I am happy to let CA decide.

I think the addition in this window of maybe just three first team players could see our team being transformed.

We have tried this strategy - Moise Kean - unfortunantely it seems that one isn't working for us - however in general terms I agree that a combination of signings like Stones ( from Barnsley NOT re-signing him from City!) , DCL , Richarlison and Holgate coupled with more experienced seasoned players is the way forward.

I don't think we will have sucess or even a platform for young talent to develop if we pack the team full of young potential.

Of course it is a fine balance. Older players who are injury prone , such as Delph , must be avoided. However the experience of Gareth Barry shows that you can get great value from an older pro.

Hmmmmm.... DCL was crucified for 2 years, Moise Kean the same, unfortunately EFC want immediate impact and success and then moan that we let players go when they come good

kean is quality, he will come good but not in an EFC shirt imho

Hmmmmm.... DCL was crucified for 2 years, Moise Kean the same, unfortunately EFC want immediate impact and success and then moan that we let players go when they come good

Moise Kean is a very interesting example.

He came to us with a stellar reputation for a young player but on any view has not progressed .

It may be that it is because he is very young and found it hard to settle in a different country.

Equally it may be ( as with a lot of foreign players ) that the pace and physicality of the English game is too much for him.

I think ( quite rightly ) that he will be given more time and more chances but he will have to come to the party quite soon ( something that he has shown an apptitude for ) or else Carlo might look elsewhere.

I agree with a lot of that. However I am not sure it's the only way to be successful. If we were following that pattern we would go and sign say, Havertz and Sancho this summer- but we know neither would join us. 4 years in and it's very difficult to get players to join us. We attract the level down, your Kean's, your Vlasics, your Iwobi and the levels of inconsistency frustrate fans.

I think the other point to note in this, is young players playing in a struggling team don't really improve. Stones was great when he first arrived into a settled back line, and went backwards after that. You need a balance of youth and experience to be successful.

We are not dining at the same table as Liverpool, or City. So occasionally short cuts are needed. Personally I would sign Koulibaly from Napoli rather than Allen, but if the player shows value then it's the right move. I see people say signing Allen can never be a value signing. I don't understand that. I can understand the position that spending £50m is not value. However what if we got him for £10m? Where is the cut off point? Surely we would be better saying paying big money and handing out long contracts for older players is the issue, as opposed to a blanket belief on not signing them?

Koulibaly has one 'big' move left in him, it won't be to a non-CL club.

Moise Kean is a very interesting example.

He came to us with a stellar reputation for a young player but on any view has not progressed .

It may be that it is because he is very young and found it hard to settle in a different country.

Equally it may be ( as with a lot of foreign players ) that the pace and physicality of the English game is too much for him.

I think ( quite rightly ) that he will be given more time and more chances but he will have to come to the party quite soon ( something that he has shown an apptitude for ) or else Carlo might look elsewhere.

Kean hasnt progressed cos hes sat on the bench all season mate.

DCL and Rico have been undroppable all season.

I get what you're saying, and there's a grain of truth in it.

The issue is it's been jam tomorrow for years now. Moyes put together a good young team (Arteta, Jagielka, Baines, Fellaini, Cahill, Pienaar etc) that never quite made the final step and eventually either got old or moved to be successful elsewhere. Then Martinez came in and we had to be patient watching Stones messing about making mistakes because he was going to be great, and Barkley and Deulofeu had to be allowed to make bad decisions because they were going to develop. All of them were gone by the time they were 23 and we were starting again.

There's nothing weird or unique to Everton in not wanting to wait years for things to come good, especially when you've been waiting 30 years already and appear no closer than you ever have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.