Hummel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really well said, good points.

My gripe is more to do with the fact that if theres no Everton prescence in shops (here in Oz) - we don’t exist to anyone who doesn’t know us. Anyone can buy anything online nowadays but that kid looking for a team to support will still see 25 other teams on the shelves and support them instead.

I get the fact that no one gives two shits about International fans - but the club should.

But again mate, thats been a failing of Everton for the last 20 years, this isnt down to Hummel.

And as far as I know this didnt change even when we were with Nike cos we still have the kitbag/fanatics deal.

Retailers will stock what sells and its based on demand sadly, there simply isnt any demand for Everton shirts.

Really well said, good points.

My gripe is more to do with the fact that if theres no Everton prescence in shops (here in Oz) - we don’t exist to anyone who doesn’t know us. Anyone can buy anything online nowadays but that kid looking for a team to support will still see 25 other teams on the shelves and support them instead.

I get the fact that no one gives two shits about International fans - but the club should.

It's the same in the UK too. There's a general lack of sports shops anyway (Sports Direct, JD Sports...can't think of anything else that's big). And all they have are your major clubs Chelsea, RS, United, City, Real, Barca stocked over everything.

So even if we had a Nike or Adidas etc their will still be a lack of shops that will stock them over the bigger named clubs.

Brand exposure will only happen with success on the pitch. Always has been the case.

But again mate, thats been a failing of Everton for the last 20 years, this isnt down to Hummel.

And as far as I know this didnt change even when we were with Nike cos we still have the kitbag/fanatics deal.

Retailers will stock what sells and its based on demand sadly, there simply isnt any demand for Everton shirts.

I can remember the Nike kit being the most widely available Everton shirt on the shelves here. Theres usually a couple of Everton shirts in the shop I always bring to the front

I didn’t really cotton on to the Bally’s Boots angle - that means alot actually.

Maybe where you live - I hunted around rebel sports and couldn't find a single thing. Supposed to be expanding and yet we pick the worst possible sporting brand.

By Insta alone - and this is merely a popularity metric.

1 Nike 113m followers (Nike Football 44m)
2 Adidas 25m (Adidas football 31m)
3 Puma 11.2
4 Underarmour 8.2m
5 NB 5.5m (football 1m)
6 Patagonia 4.5m
7 North Face 4.5m
8 Gymshark 4.5m
9 Fila 2m
10 Reebok 2.4m
Hummel 140k

What a shocker.
Why is Fila above Reebok?
Fila are a huge brand - equal to Reebok I guess.
Reebok definitely took a massive hit when everyone stopped buying the trainers. I can remember when I was younger everyone seemed to have a pair.
I'm not asking for some detailed analysis. I'm just wondering, given that all other positions are in 'followers' order, Fila with 2m is above Reebok with 2.4m.

I can remember the Nike kit being the most widely available Everton shirt on the shelves here. Theres usually a couple of Everton shirts in the shop I always bring to the front

I didn’t really cotton on to the Bally’s Boots angle - that means alot actually.

The Nike kits we had where the worst we've ever had tbf, glad we didnt stick with them.

Got a feeling Hummel will pull this out the bag, the Coventry and Brondby shirts posted in here look great.

They obviously offered us the best deal otherwise we wouldn't of went with them, when this deal is at an end we should have a far better reputation as a club with the new stadium on the horizon and hopefully consistent years in Europe, and warrant a deal closer to the top 6, no company will pay us for what where not at present.

I'm not asking for some detailed analysis. I'm just wondering, given that all other positions are in 'followers' order, Fila with 2m is above Reebok with 2.4m.

The list i got the numbers off was out of date so i had update them and obviously missed the last two switching around.

Its no conspiracy.

I have never ever heard anyone ask a kid do you want a nike or adidas shirt? That would never be the question with football.

Do you want a Real Madrid or Barca shirt? PSG or Bayern? It does not matter who makes the kit it's the club itself.

Nobody but Everton fans are going to buy an Everton kit and Everton fans will buy the Everton kit regardless if that's what they do.

The only way to sell more kits is to start winning stuff, by that point you could have any company make it.
Haven't you said multiple times in this thread that you buy other teams kits? Do you believe that you've somehow stumbled onto a hobby that nobody else in the world has?

Haven't you said multiple times in this thread that you buy other teams kits? Do you believe that you've somehow stumbled onto a hobby that nobody else in the world has?

We are talking about shirt sales in the thousands/millions, its not the same market as me (or a collector) buying a shirt from ebay or wherever ten years after it was released. Also collectors tend not to wear a shirt so the make etc does not matter. People like me are a tiny drop in the ocean. Out of all the shirts I have I have probably bought about 5 from an actual physical shop.

You are not going to chuck 500 Everton shirts into a shop in Wollongong and sell them all at full price in one season. Especially not if there are other shirts of clubs there as well.

The demand needs to be there first to sell them, without it you are selling to nobody.

We are talking about shirt sales in the thousands/millions, its not the same market as me (or a collector) buying a shirt from ebay or wherever ten years after it was released. Also collectors tend not to wear a shirt so the make etc does not matter. People like me are a tiny drop in the ocean. Out of all the shirts I have I have probably bought about 5 from an actual physical shop.

You are not going to chuck 500 Everton shirts into a shop in Wollongong and sell them all at full price in one season. Especially not if there are other shirts of clubs there as well.

The demand needs to be there first to sell them, without it you are selling to nobody.
Yeah that's fair enough.

I think there's still a perception issue to some extent. I was never a collector or anything but when I was younger I used to buy kits from places I went on holiday and had quite a lot (back in the days when you couldn't just order a kit online and sport shops weren't full of foreign kits) and then you build a bit of a connection with that team. They become 'your' team in the Portuguese league or whatever.Rightly or wrongly, as a teenager I would definitely have been more likely to buy a kit made by Adidas or Nike than one made by Hummel or Joma. Frankly if i'd seen a kit made by a brand like that i'd have assumed the team was rubbish.

That's not to say we should go with one of those brands, i've said many times going with the most money is the sensible option for a club like us, I have no issue with it. It's just that I can understand the alternative viewpoint people are coming up with. Four or five people over the last few pages have mentioned that they've never heard of Hummel. That does colour people's perceptions of the teams they're associated with.

Just had a look at some other teams that hummel make kits for, I have to say the Coventry kit is absolutely beautiful, I'd like to see how it would look with the royal blue fading to white so if anyone has the IT skills to mock one up then go for it. View attachment 89389
That kit is an absolute humdinger. I'd like to see the same standard of design in an Everton jersey, if not the actual design itself.

Yeah that's fair enough.

I think there's still a perception issue to some extent. I was never a collector or anything but when I was younger I used to buy kits from places I went on holiday and had quite a lot (back in the days when you couldn't just order a kit online and sport shops weren't full of foreign kits) and then you build a bit of a connection with that team. They become 'your' team in the Portuguese league or whatever.Rightly or wrongly, as a teenager I would definitely have been more likely to buy a kit made by Adidas or Nike than one made by Hummel or Joma. Frankly if i'd seen a kit made by a brand like that i'd have assumed the team was rubbish.

That's not to say we should go with one of those brands, i've said many times going with the most money is the sensible option for a club like us, I have no issue with it. It's just that I can understand the alternative viewpoint people are coming up with. Four or five people over the last few pages have mentioned that they've never heard of Hummel. That does colour people's perceptions of the teams they're associated with.

Yeah I have done the buying kits when on holiday thing too, I usually look at them abroad and then buy them online though as its cheaper! Depends on the kit though I suppose.

The Hummel thing is interesting and I think its an age thing with a lot of people. Everyone my age knows the sexy Denmark kit of the 80's and the Coventry/Villa/Southampton etc versions that came after it. Most remember the Real Madrid and Spurs Hummel kits too of that era.

They went quiet over the past few decades and seemed to pick and choose who they work with.

At the end of the day though I think you are onto something with perception but I think its more the perception of success. All of us know Le Coq Sportif and they are in a very similar position to Hummel, they do bespoke kits that usually tend to be very classy but are not a high end brand or anything. Our fans like Le Coq because its associated with our greatest ever team. If we had never had a kit of theirs and they were our suppliers next season people would be looking down their nose at them too.

I like to relate the brands with high street shops really. Whereas Nike and Adidas are your Waitrose or M and S, people think that Hummel are a Netto or something. For me they are more like a nice independent delicatessen or something. Not well known and hardly anyone goes there but their stuff is good quality.

I think Fila have rebranded themselves with the chavvy look (and gained more sales), them there yoots are styling themselves as, e.g. those blag looking hefty white trabs they all seem to be wearing over the last 2 years.

I do not get the obsession with having Nike or Adidas. They don't need to pay decent money to put their name on us. Hummel do and that's what makes it the best deal for the club. We are basically their flagship club, will have bespoke kits and exposure.

This isn't for jogging attire, or sportswear. This is for Everton. A unique industry in which regardless of the clothes designer, the product ends up getting purchased anyway if the kit looks nice, REGARDLESS of the brand.

I get it may be frustrating if you can't go in to your local store across the world just to get an Everton top, but the reality is that is the case for extreme majority. Having Nike or Adidas doesnt change that. Same complaints were happening when we had Nike.

One of my most comfortable training tops I have ever owned was Hummel. I know that means absolutey zero in the scheme of things, but there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.