Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but for me that front 2 just isnt good enough going forward if we are genuinely going to try break the top 6 - when did we last hammer a team?

We barely laid a glove on Utd and Chelsea and home games like Brighton and Newcastle we should be winning by 3-4 goals and would have done with a Lukaku in the side whereas we scraped by 1-0 and got done 2-2.

For as long as I can remember we have always tried building a team around 1 goal threat - Lukaku, Yakubu, Cahill, Johnson - for us to succeed you need 3-4 goal threats in the side and at present have simply havent any goals from the midfield/out wide.
I disagree I think the front two are good enough and are both young and improving. The main problem is wide players who don’t contribute, and a shocking midfield that had injuries all season. A average defence and a goalie who hardly made a save all season.

With a midfield that gets dominated most weeks a defence that will concede as soon as we come under 10mins of pressure, a goalie letting goals in all over place. You can’t blame 2 young strikers for not getting us top 6/4. All striker miss chances.

For this team to get top 4/6 our front 2 would need to score 70 goals next season. To mask all our other frailties.

I disagree I think the front two are good enough and are both young and improving. The main problem is wide players who don’t contribute, and a shocking midfield that had injuries all season. A average defence and a goalie who hardly made a save all season.

With a midfield that gets dominated most weeks a defence that will concede as soon as we come under 10mins of pressure, a goalie letting goals in all over place. You can’t blame 2 young strikers for not getting us top 6/4. All striker miss chances.

For this team to get top 4/6 our front 2 would need to score 70 goals next season. To mask all our other frailties.

I agree our midfield/defence and keeper aint good enough but I think people conveniently forget the amount of chances we created in games against the likes of Brighton, Newcastle etc and we shown to be nowhere near clinical enough.

We were poor for alot of time under Martinez and Koeman yet Lukaku still banged in goals and led us to big scoreline wins against teams we needed to be beating.

For me we still havent replaced Rom so you either stick Richarlison out wide and bring in a top CF or keep Rich up top and drop DCL to the bench with Kean either out on loan or sold.

I hope Ancelotti still has the ambition to see us compete for trophies as he's worked with some of the best attacking players in the business and I would be suprised if he thinks that front 2 and our back up options in Kean/Tosun are going to be good enough to genuinely threaten the top 6 / win trophies.

When you say midfield do you mean the middle of the park or a CM and a RW.
For me we need someone in the middl
For me the priorities are quite clear :

RW
RB
CM
CB
GK - If Lossl is "gone"

For this window anyway.

They are what I consider holes in the squad that need filling as a matter of urgency, anything else would depend on what outgoings we can get done and replaced as needed.
I would agree with all these priorities if we have the money. Midfield is the key for me.
Gomes has great skills but inconsistent. With better players around him it would improve him greatly
Davies hasn't improved. No strength easily knocked off the ball
Gbamin unknown quantity. Could be the ball winner we need
Siggy legs seem to be gone. Take away his goals hes very ordinary
Schnederlin enough said. 5 yard passes.
My wishlist 2 midfielders to complement Gomes. Players who can spot a pass, compete and have a will to win. Think Alan Ball and Peter Reid. Tall order I know but I'm fed up with our team collapsing when the going gets tough. Hopefully the pull of Carlo can get them in.
If we dont have much money I hope we get
CB maybe Gabriel or Todibo
CM hopefully Carlo and Brands have one lined up. Would prefer a youngish one rather than someone near 30
Winger Soares, Under or Lozano
Dont watch hardly any football outside the uk so people on here will have a better knowledge of whether these players are good enough for us.
Let's hope Carlo and Brandd can get the right players in

Dont need to anyway, Richy is a striker. Pacey, powerful, strong, good movement, good footwork, can control the ball and can finish left, right footed or header. The fact that when we need to change things we could move him wide is a bonus.
Totally agree. I think his future will be as a striker. Got all the ability to succeed there. Playing wide is a bonus

Why buy a striker and shoehorn richarlison on the right when you could just buy a natural wide player for right side

Richarlison has never been shoe horned out wide - thats his natural position.

He plays there for the Brazil national team, played wide in Brazil, for Watford and for us.

Its only because DCL and Tosun couldnt finish their dinners last season that Richarlison started to be played through the middle and when Big Dunc took charge he was the only other half decent option to partner DCL as again Kean and Tosun have been rubbish.

For me the crux still is we havent replaced Rom and we dont have a clincal CF like a Vardy which is why Leicester are in the top 4 and we are not.

So if we bring in a top CF slotter you either drop DCL to the bench or move Richarlison back out wide. For me as much as I've been critical of DCL having Richarlison out wide and being able to cut in / make runs into the box with DCL alongside a Lukaku type forward doing the running and closing down whilst the Lukaku type forward slots away the chances created could prove to be a very good set up (imo).

Richarlison has never been shoe horned out wide - thats his natural position.

He plays there for the Brazil national team, played wide in Brazil, for Watford and for us.

Its only because DCL and Tosun couldnt finish their dinners last season that Richarlison started to be played through the middle and when Big Dunc took charge he was the only other half decent option to partner DCL as again Kean and Tosun have been rubbish.

For me the crux still is we havent replaced Rom and we dont have a clincal CF like a Vardy which is why Leicester are in the top 4 and we are not.

So if we bring in a top CF slotter you either drop DCL to the bench or move Richarlison back out wide. For me as much as I've been critical of DCL having Richarlison out wide and being able to cut in / make runs into the box with DCL alongside a Lukaku type forward doing the running and closing down whilst the Lukaku type forward slots away the chances created could prove to be a very good set up (imo).

I’m absolutely speechless at the fact you have watched Richarlison play football for almost two whole seasons and have come to the conclusion that he is a natural wide player. Absolutely flummoxed.

Why buy a striker and shoehorn richarlison on the right when you could just buy a natural wide player for right side
I agree and have said the same, the point was we were getting linked to Hwang, who’s a striker. So it’s been talked about moving Richarlison to the right.

Maybe the right sided player we want isn’t Available at This moment.

Football insider mentioning us and Stones

https://www.[Publication is blackli...r-old-linked-with-blockbuster-newcastle-move/

I’m absolutely speechless at the fact you have watched Richarlison play football for almost two whole seasons and have come to the conclusion that he is a natural wide player. Absolutely flummoxed.

My answer to that question is what position does Christiano Ronaldo play in?

If you say forward what exactly is a forward?

A forward in a 442 is different to a wide forward in a 433.

Just because Richarlison can score goals doesnt make him a natural number 9.

Where does Richarlison play for Brazil? Techincally he is a forward but he isnt through the middle where Firmino/Jesus play - he's a wide forward.

In a 442 for me he's just as effective as a wide player drifting/cutting in as he is stood up top playing alongside DCL centrally.

He still scores goals and creates chances - the difference is we still need a natural 20+ goal a season striker/finisher which I dont feel he is (and neither is DCL).

So you either drop him out wide or DCL to the bench - my point is that front 2 isnt going to get us into the top 6.

Liverpool were garbage under Rodgers with a poor midfield and defence with the likes of Lovren and Moreno yet finished 2nd down to having 2 outstanding finishers up top in Suarez and Sturridge.

A top GK and CF wins you trophies - we have neither at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.