Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately I can see the 4-4-2 reverting into a 4-3-2-1

At Milan, Chelsea and Madrid, Carlo uses for example Pirlo/Mikel/Alonso as a playmaker using cover from 2 midfielders in front. This created time for this player but also covered him and gave space for the alternative pass to the covering midfielders.

I could see Gomes behind for example a defensive pairing of Gbamin and Schneiderlin.

Now I know Gomes isn't Pirlo or Alonso but he can spot a good ball every now and then.

With this system you require a lot of energy from the Midfielders but also a high level of passing accuracy.

Seeing players like Allen, Hojberg and Rabiot linked would cover the other two spots in terms of strength, playing ability and experience.

I believe Richarlison will play behind DCL with the other spot taken up between Kean/Walcott unless we sign a right winger. They provide that pace and width requested of them but ultimately frees DCL to push up top.

Key to this formation are wingbacks and midfielders who are comfortable on the ball but essentially have an engine on them.
This is the problem with doing that now really. Gomes is nowhere near good enough and crucially not consistent enough for that to be viable.

I do hope that he has plans to move into a different set up though. 4-4-2 has some limitations that I'd like us to avoid. 4-3-1-2 is my preference really. No breaking up of the DCL-Richarlison pairing that was great but a stable midfield that can actually control a game.

This isn't an exaggeration when I say he's quite literally been one of the best players in the league in that role since Carlo took over. That goes for Calvert-Lewin too. Are we really going to move our best all around attacker (i.e. scoring and creating) away from where he's been awesome at that so that he can play more defense? That's seriously your idea?

I disagree - we played our best football under Ancelotti ironically against Newcastle where DCL & Kean were up top and Richarlison was out wide drifting in and causing them massive problems.

If we had Lukaku up top instead of Kean that day we would have put 4-5 past them easily.

Richarlison may well be a forward - so is Salah yet he wouldn't be as effective in a 442 as he is out wide in 433 and its the same as Richarlison for me.

We shoehorned him up top under Silva because both Tosun & DCL were not scoring.

Before that he has always been a wide player for club and country.

I disagree - we played our best football under Ancelotti ironically against Newcastle where DCL & Kean were up top and Richarlison was out wide drifting in and causing them massive problems.

If we had Lukaku up top instead of Kean that day we would have put 4-5 past them easily.

Richarlison didn’t even play against Newcastle.

Richarlison may well be a forward - so is Salah yet he wouldn't be as effective in a 442 as he is out wide in 433 and its the same as Richarlison for me.

I think DCL and Kean are excellent together with Richarlison as a floating forward but they are missing a right winger or a more central dynamic midfielder like Allen/Gueye

I think DCL and Kean are excellent together with Richarlison as a floating forward but they are missing a right winger or a more central dynamic midfielder like Allen/Gueye

People think just because Richarlison scores goals with his head it makes him a traditional number 9 and its simply not the case.

He has always played out wide be it in midfield or in a front 3 in the Salah/mane role - what did he do up top against Chelsea or Man Utd? He did little against Arsenal truth be told apart from grab his goal before the end of the 1st half.

Simply put if we are to achieve anything long term you need to have 3-4 goal threats in your starting 11 all over the park - you can find a 15 goal a season striker more easily than you can find a 15 goal a season wide player who also is selfless and tracks back to help his defence which is a commodity in the modern game.

For me having Richarlison providing goals from out wide whilst having a top CF & DCL with another wide player on the opposite flank who is an upgrade on Bernard/Walcott in terms of output would make us very difficult to play against.

For anyone who thinks our top 2 is dynamite- when did we hammer a team 4-5 goals this season?

We haven't.

People think just because Richarlison scores goals with his head it makes him a traditional number 9 and its simply not the case.

He has always played out wide be it in midfield or in a front 3 in the Salah/mane role - what did he do up top against Chelsea or Man Utd? He did little against Arsenal truth be told apart from grab his goal before the end of the 1st half.

Simply put if we are to achieve anything long term you need to have 3-4 goal threats in your starting 11 all over the park - you can find a 15 goal a season striker more easily than you can find a 15 goal a season wide player who also is selfless and tracks back to help his defence which is a commodity in the modern game.

For me having Richarlison providing goals from out wide whilst having a top CF & DCL with another wide player on the opposite flank who is an upgrade on Bernard/Walcott in terms of output would make us very difficult to play against.

For anyone who thinks our top 2 is dynamite- when did we hammer a team 4-5 goals this season?

We haven't.
The problem for me when Richarlison plays wide, is the defensive side to his game. Even in silva’s 4231 he would spend so much time in our half tracking full backs. Whether that’s was down to his natural instinct to work hard or the managers instructions.

In a 442 he would be forced to do more defensive work and you will basically lose his threat for a long part of the game, especially against the top teams.

Richarlison playing wide needs to be able to stay high up the pitch and let the full back from the opposition go at times.

That’s why if he plays wide right next season you can’t really have iwobi or Bernard wide left, ideally you would have more of a left footed midfielder. And with 2 aggressive hard working centre mids the responsibility would be fir one of them to cover the left back and leave Richarlison high up the pitch. Where he can do damage.

That game Richy didn't play in and we also drew 2-2 against horsepunchers?

That game Richy didn't play in and we also drew 2-2 against horsepunchers?

Im on about the win at SJP - apart from Keane getting absolutely bullied by Carroll and a garbage ref that gifted them their goal that was easily a better all round performance than the home game imo.

First time in a long while that we actually controlled an away game and saw it out through sound game management.

If we had Lukaku that day over Kean that would have been a 4-1/5-1 game as we had them on the counter all the time.

I know Kean improved in the home game where we were more attacking overall but thats to be expected at home was more impressive going to a fired up SJP and doing what we did with our garbage away record.

The problem for me when Richarlison plays wide, is the defensive side to his game. Even in silva’s 4231 he would spend so much time in our half tracking full backs. Whether that’s was down to his natural instinct to work hard or the managers instructions.

In a 442 he would be forced to do more defensive work and you will basically lose his threat for a long part of the game, especially against the top teams.

Richarlison playing wide needs to be able to stay high up the pitch and let the full back from the opposition go at times.

That’s why if he plays wide right next season you can’t really have iwobi or Bernard wide left, ideally you would have more of a left footed midfielder. And with 2 aggressive hard working centre mids the responsibility would be fir one of them to cover the left back and leave Richarlison high up the pitch. Where he can do damage.

True but for me that front 2 just isnt good enough going forward if we are genuinely going to try break the top 6 - when did we last hammer a team?

We barely laid a glove on Utd and Chelsea and home games like Brighton and Newcastle we should be winning by 3-4 goals and would have done with a Lukaku in the side whereas we scraped by 1-0 and got done 2-2.

For as long as I can remember we have always tried building a team around 1 goal threat - Lukaku, Yakubu, Cahill, Johnson - for us to succeed you need 3-4 goal threats in the side and at present have simply havent any goals from the midfield/out wide.

This for me, I think Kean is going to be top drawer. I really like what I see and the attributes he has.

We need to give him a big chance to get a run now, I'm certain he'll take it.

I'd also like Richarlison given a free role, a floating striker as you say.

I think he always looks good when he drops in deep behind the striker in a 10 role. He's excellent at carrying the ball at pace and very direct.

I wouldn't isolate him out wide but we do need to find a way to get him, Keen and DCL on the pitch IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.