1969/70 League Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had Brunch -B Row L- TO - R Joe Royle - Labone - Westy - Rankin -Sandy Brown - John Hurst -
Middle row L-R Wilf Dixon Trainer - Jimmy Husband - Tommy Wright - Roger Kenyon - Howard Kendall - Keith Newton -
Front row L To R - John Hurst - Tommy Jackson - Manager The Catt - Alan Ball the Captain - Alan Whittle - Colin Harvey {the white Pele}

You’ve got two John Hursts in your list @Joey66? I think the right end of the back row next to
Sandy Brown could be Frank Darcy?
@Dario Terracotta ’s call for Steve Melledew in the middle is a fantastic shout, I don’t think I’d have got that at all!

Last edited:

Aren't those attendances much lower than the real figures?
I'm not old enough to know but have read that clubs often announced much lower attendance figures to avoid paying tax on the full total?
I think someone on here was saying how a favourite joke for him and his mates was to laugh at the attendence figures announced at half time.
That farce came some time later. I think it was after VAT was introduced in the UK. Declaring artifically low attendances they could reduce their Customs liability. i might be wrong but i have in the back of my mind that at one stage Arsenal were going to be done for doing the same thing. Can't recall if they ever were.

Absolute shock it fell apart so quickly, Alan Ball should never have been sold, Cattericks, biggest mistake.
That week in late March pretty much shaped us for the next thirteen years, although the league form had tailed off remarkably, we were well in contention in the FA Cup and the European Cup,if one of those games had gone our way, who knows?they went against us in quite catastrophic "Everton" proportions and the dye was cast unfortunately.

That week in late March pretty much shaped us for the next thirteen years, although the league form had tailed off remarkably, we were well in contention in the FA Cup and the European Cup,if one of those games had gone our way, who knows?they went against us in quite catastrophic "Everton" proportions and the dye was cast unfortunately.

Thought it tailed off if I remember right, after we had won it, wasn't it with 5 games to spare ?. Don't think Alan Ball was suited to the captaincy, nobody in the team could ascertain his high levels, wasn't he supposed to have punched Joe Royle during his captaincy ? We absolutely battered Panathanikos over two legs, but still went out.

Thought it tailed off if I remember right, after we had won it, wasn't it with 5 games to spare ?. Don't think Alan Ball was suited to the captaincy, nobody in the team could ascertain his high levels, wasn't he supposed to have punched Joe Royle during his captaincy ? We absolutely battered Panathanikos over two legs, but still went out.
The Cup semi too,1-0 up and pretty much in control until our skipper got injured.

Sandy Brown replaced Labone in the Cup semi final,we couldn't then cope with Toshacks aerial threat.

Just done some reading on it, towards the end of the championship, Labone our captain got injured and Ball stood in as Captain, Ball was never a captain, though and his form dipped the following season, trying to play everyone else's game for them, haha. He was sold at age 26 at his peak to Arsenal. Mick Buckley a decent player from our youngsters, Catterick thought could replace Ball, a massive mistake. Henry Newton was bought as a midfielder in 1970, but finished up as a full back. Harvey was getting more and more injuries as I remember. But that team should have gone on a lot longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.