Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong but are the houses further apart in Aus even in the bigger cities. Compare that to rows of terraced houses in London Liverpool etc. Seen somewhere that 34% of the deaths have been in the ethnic minorities community. More likely to be poorer living on top of each other with larger families. Prob why the hotspots hav been London and Birmingham where a lot of Muslim families live on top of each other

There is a lot of colonial style terraces in Autralia, mainly Sydney and Melbourne. Brisbane has some terraces too. Terraces aren't on the scale of the UK obviously. All Australian cities have loads and loads of apartments though, Sydney in particular around Chatswood and Green Sq/Zetland with a heavy Asian population.

There is a lot of colonial style terraces in Autralia, mainly Sydney and Melbourne. Brisbane has some terraces too. Terraces aren't on the scale of the UK obviously. All Australian cities have loads and loads of apartments though, Sydney in particular around Chatswood and Green Sq/Zetland with a heavy Asian population.
Thanks for the info. I find that Asian Chinese families are quite reserved and keep a lot to themselves. Here in London Birmingham north west Yorkshire town have big Pakistani communities who pretty much live together and have mostly bigger families than white communities. I defo think that is one reason they have been affected a lot

Of course it does.
The UK, had the perfect storm
The UK has different (bigger) numbers of people per sq km
The Uk had/has more people in and out
The UK were slower at social distancing - herd immunity will see us through.
There are still flights landing with not even a quick temp check(?)
Point 2. Most of Australia's sq km's are unoccupied and a crowded train in Melbourne is the same as a crowded train in London.
Point 3 I don't have any numbers on that.
Point 4. SD started at about the same time. Boris' herd immunity suggestion was made very early in the piece and wasn't adopted as a way of dealing
with the virus.
Point 5. I don't know about that. Travel has been stopped everywhere hasn't it, unless it's bringing expats home?

Foxtel has Sky News UK on 24/7 and I watch it regularly. Footage of deserted streets there is the same as here. Lockdown started in the UK within days of us.
Isolation started at about the same time in both countries. There doesn't seem to be enough difference in the response to the virus to make the
massive difference in the death rate.
What I am seeing is that a lot of people who are dying in the UK are younger NHS workers as well as patients and I think there must be a lot of infection happening in the workplace there.

I've just seen a graph on Sky UK and lockdown there started on March 23 and to that point there had only been a few hundred deaths. It doesn't
give numbers but it looks as though it could be as little as 200. Isolation was already in place. Er, it's 11.20 pm here and I'm going to bed.

Point 2. Most of Australia's sq km's are unoccupied and a crowded train in Melbourne is the same as a crowded train in London.
Point 3 I don't have any numbers on that.
Point 4. SD started at about the same time. Boris' herd immunity suggestion was made very early in the piece and wasn't adopted as a way of dealing
with the virus.
Point 5. I don't know about that. Travel has been stopped everywhere hasn't it, unless it's bringing expats home?

Foxtel has Sky News UK on 24/7 and I watch it regularly. Footage of deserted streets there is the same as here. Lockdown started in the UK within days of us.
Isolation started at about the same time in both countries. There doesn't seem to be enough difference in the response to the virus to make the
massive difference in the death rate.
What I am seeing is that a lot of people who are dying in the UK are younger NHS workers as well as patients and I think there must be a lot of infection happening in the workplace there.
Thats the whole point, different places, different circumstances, different political reactions from different politicians.
The lucky country was, again relatively lucky, for different reasons and different ratios in aspects to where there are similarities.
Different

Edit; It will take time but there will be various enquiries in many countries and they will say what
'worked' and what didn't and why.
Edit 2; well as much of the truth as they want known

As a matter of interest , I had Sky on pause while I sent my last post and when I went back it came through that ALL of those 19k deaths were hospital
patients. It didn't include aged care etc. Goodnight.

Because of the obscene amount of money they are on each week while sitting there doing nothing. For me, as a group they should be offering. 30% of £100,000 would still leave them with £70,000 a week. Enough to keep them stocked up with playstation games

But, why? They're paying tax on whatever they earn, so if they earn less, they pay less tax, which just means more money sat in the owners pocket. If the club are happy to pay them, why should they give it up? If the club was looking too use the JRS for anybody, then that's different, but they aren't and have stated they wont. I really don't see the issue.

But, why? They're paying tax on whatever they earn, so if they earn less, they pay less tax, which just means more money sat in the owners pocket. If the club are happy to pay them, why should they give it up? If the club was looking too use the JRS for anybody, then that's different, but they aren't and have stated they wont. I really don't see the issue.
That's were we differ then. Me personally i think they should be offering to take a pay cut like Barca, Roma arsenal etc. For me i think they are on obscene wages anyway and it would be good to see them offer to take a pay cut in these difficult times. They are getting that money for doing nothing atm I personally think they should give something back. Like I said we differ about what these mega rich people should do.

As a matter of interest , I had Sky on pause while I sent my last post and when I went back it came through that ALL of those 19k deaths were hospital
patients. It didn't include aged care etc. Goodnight.

I think a lot of those figures will include people who had 2 or 3 underlying conditions. Just read on the bbc that the biggest group were over 80s followed by 60-79. It said 9 people died under 20, 130 aged 20-39 and 1453 aged 40-59. Most people had heart conditions. 9 out of 10 had underlying conditions with the average having 2 to 3 underlying conditions. The government has made covid a reportable disease so anyone who is brought into hospital dying from heart failure will be tested for coronavirus. If they are positive that will be recorded on the death certificate plus the heart failure. This will be then added to the coronavirus virus stats. Another example is 2 identical twins have recently died with it is reported coronavirus. If you read the story they had numerous underlying conditions and had been very ill for some time. Brought into hospital they are routinely tested for coronavirus. They tested positive. They then died probably due to their 2 or 3 underlying conditions but coronavirus is added to the death certificate and is the added to the stats. There was an excess of 40000 deaths due to the cold winter in 2014 and most people just carried on because it wasn't on 24/7on the news.
I've said before any death is tragic. But should the economy be crashed if most people under 60 will suffer only mild symptoms. This lockdown will be lifted soon. Maybe people on this vulnerable list and over 70s will prob remain shielded. But this 20000 number will mostly be with some exceptions people who were at the end of their life anyway. Not sure if every country records it like this.

Last edited:

I think a lot of those figures will include people who had 2 or 3 underlying conditions. Just read on the bbc that the biggest group were over 80s followed by 60-79. It said 9 people died under 20, 130 aged 20-39 and 1453 aged 40-59. Most people had heart conditions. 9 out of 10 had underlying conditions with the average having 2 to 3 underlying conditions. The government has made covid a reportable disease so anyone who is brought into hospital dying from heart failure will be tested for coronavirus. If they are positive that will be recorded on the death certificate plus the heart failure. This will be then added to the coronavirus virus stats. Another example is 2 identical twins have recently died with it is reported coronavirus. If you read the story they had numerous underlying conditions and had been very ill for some time. Brought into hospital they are routinely tested for coronavirus. They tested positive. They then died probably due to their 2 or 3 underlying conditions but coronavirus is added to the death certificate and is the added to the stats. There was an excess of 40000 deaths due to the cold winter in 2014 and most people just carried on because it wasn't on 24/7on the news.
I've said before any death is tragic. But should the economy be crashed if most people under 60 will suffer only mild symptoms. This lockdown will be lifted soon. Maybe people on this vulnerable list and over 70s will prob remain shielded. But this 20000 number will mostly be with some exceptions people who were at the end of their life anyway. Not sure if every country records it like this.

You can also not be tested and still be recorded as a corona death. I know someone who’s just died, she was 96 bless her, was never tested and her death certificate says coronavirus.

I can't agree that most of these cases were people who would have died anyway. If you are talking about someone receiving palliative care then maybe you could say Covid19 was less of an aggravating factor, but we can't assume that the underlying conditions for other patients were not being successfully managed. For those people the virus is the true cause of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.