1969/70 League Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

If I could take time in a bottle(as the song went:))
What a winger Morrissey really was .... the fullbacks must have crapped themselves when he came at them - as Joe stated very unrated skill wise too another blue who deserved a cap for England.....
Clothie later raved about John Robertson - Morrissey was even better than him imo.....

We rave about the mid eighties teams, and rightly so, but the 70 team was right up there with them. It's a mystery to me how it just fell apart the
following season and never recovered.

Certainly not intending to take anything away from that incredible side, however I’ve heard from those there at the time that the 68/69 side actually played better footie but missed out on the title.
66-67, 67-68 you could see the progression, as players were replaced
68-69 did hit higher peaks on the school of science index of pure football, but had more than a few of the inconsistent off days. iirc, they finished 5th or 6th well off the pace in the end and lost to City in the semi, by settling for a draw in the last 10 mins.
Edit; 3rd D,D,D,L,W,D for the last 6 games

Last edited:
Certainly not intending to take anything away from that incredible side, however I’ve heard from those there at the time that the 68/69 side actually played better footie but missed out on the title.
We came 3rd yes the football was so pure - but no killer instinct with top teams like Leeds who were so dirty that lot had Yeats and Smith etc - the football In 1969 was breath taking too - Sandy Brown and Moggsy gave us steel - 1970 Bally banned for five games - Harvey out with an eye injury - Captain Labby injured - the subs the came in performed heroically, but they were more workman like, but put in a great stint Tommy Jackson - Roger Kenyon -
The turning point was the great Jimmy Husbands injury - in came Alan Whittle a goal machine at such a vital run in - forecast to be the next Dennis Law .......the rest is history - The Catt inexplicably broke the backbone of that team up!

Status
Not open for further replies.