Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've suggested, it'll probably fall like dominoes, all of these decisions will be taken in line with the other because all of the authorities involved are in communication and all of them are of the view that they want to finish the season if it's possible and safe to do so.

If the season is moved, qualifiers and pre-seasons will be moved, transfer windows will be moved to adjust the new period.

Why would the Euros move just because of the leagues? They want their tournaments in the height of Summer when tourism and people travelling to the tournaments is at it's peak. Qatar only happened because they got an extreme back-hander.

Well the argument is cogent and I’m not sure why it being new or old makes any relevance. You asked for a reason and it was provided. You may not like it, which is fair enough, but it doesn’t detract from the existence of a reason.

I’m not sure an October-July season would fit in all the football required. So given the squashing of games in together, I don’t think it would be safer at all no.

I acknowledge that a single season is having to be changed. I have covered this point, and stated it was hugely unpopular, driven heavily from above (and FIFA’s desire to spread the game) and it took years to agree. Also, like it or not, a World Cup has far more prestige than finishing a single PL season. I have covered this, and the fact it was so difficult, to move 1 single season, is evidence that moving multiple seasons will be extremely difficult.

Well it is popular. We have built the worlds biggest game on that time frame, and we have the most watched leagues on that time frame. Other leagues that have tried different time frames have proven to be demonstrably less popular than leagues such as the PL who operate in such a time frame. In fact, given the lack of opposition to changing the season schedule, you’d have to say the actual schedule was one of the most popular, essential parts of footballs package.

Your idea that we can change the schedule and people would like it equivalently is based on absolutely no evidence. In fact the overwhelming evidence is people wouldn’t like it.

What is “unreasonable and fanciful” is to assume breaking up the scheduled timing, when to date there has been no desire to do so would not have an affect on the sport. That you can just move dates and keep the same level of interaction (both amongst hardened fans, but particularly softer supporters around the world). It may be your opinion, which is fine, but it’s not backed up by any evidence.

I try to be civil, but when you are arguing the PLs structure is not popular, but a league with structure you are advocating (say Russia or the Scandinavian countries) have equivalent popularity in their structure you are completely mistaken on the evidence. It's not wrong. Just as it is wrong to assume if you go moving sporting events around, there won't be an impact. There could theoretically be a positive impact too, but I see nothing to suggest that.

Couple of questions based on this answer.

An October - July season is just as long as an August - May one so why would it involve squashing games?

What evidence is there that people would not like a season that does not run August - May?

All civil discussion, mate. I've enjoyed the debate and agree with some of your points, disagree with others.

For what it's worth, I didn't at any point argue that Russia or the Scandinavian leagues were as popular as the Premier League.

An October - July season is just as long as an August - May one so why would it involve squashing games?

What evidence is there that people would not like a season that does not run August - May?

All civil discussion, mate. I've enjoyed the debate and agree with some of your points, disagree with others.

For what it's worth, I didn't at any point argue that Russia or the Scandinavian leagues were as popular as the Premier League.

But you did try to point at the Russian/Scandi leagues are of equal importance to UEFA competitions:

"Respectfully, you’re wrong about UEFA requiring all leagues to start at the same time. They don’t, several of it’s members, who have been regular participants of their tournaments (and even won it several times), operate in leagues that don’t run Aug-May. Russia is but one example."

Why would the Euros move just because of the leagues? They want their tournaments in the height of Summer when tourism and people travelling to the tournaments is at it's peak. Qatar only happened because they got an extreme back-hander.

UEFA won't want to be seen to risk player health or fan health shortly after an international crisis. They understand that club football takes precedent (brings in the most money) and therefore they know that players would need an appropriate break at the end of their club season before commencing an International tournament.

Look how quickly decisions have been taken on the postponement and delaying of the Olympics, the Euros, Wimbledon etc. In a matter of weeks. The scheduling for these tournaments hasn't even been completed yet, it's just been pushed back to start at an as yet unknown time in 2021. I can't see UEFA scheduling a tournament to start one month before the end of the domestic calendar, can you?

UEFA won't want to be seen to risk player health or fan health shortly after an international crisis. They understand that club football takes precedent (brings in the most money) and therefore they know that players would need an appropriate break at the end of their club season before commencing an International tournament.

Look how quickly decisions have been taken on the postponement and delaying of the Olympics, the Euros, Wimbledon etc. In a matter of weeks. The scheduling for these tournaments hasn't even been completed yet, it's just been pushed back to start at an as yet unknown time in 2021. I can't see UEFA scheduling a tournament to start one month before the end of the domestic calendar, can you?

And I can't see UEFA wanting the Euros to start in September either.

But you did try to point at the Russian/Scandi leagues are of equal importance to UEFA competitions:

"Respectfully, you’re wrong about UEFA requiring all leagues to start at the same time. They don’t, several of it’s members, who have been regular participants of their tournaments (and even won it several times), operate in leagues that don’t run Aug-May. Russia is but one example."

No, I refuted the point made by you that it's imperative for leagues to run alongside each other for participation in UEFA club competitions.

It categorically isn't imperative because Russian and Norwegian teams to name but two have been participating in the group stages and latter stages of CL and EL competitions for decades and their league seasons don't run Aug-May and never have.

And I can't see UEFA wanting the Euros to start in September either.

They may not have a choice. If they want it held in 2021 and they understand that club Football comes first, they can throw their toys out of the pram if they want but it won't achieve anything other than risking some players being forced to choose between club and country, potentially some stars will stay with their clubs, weakening the strength of the tournament overall. The International tournaments will be held around the domestic calendar, whenever it becomes safe for that to start.

They may not have a choice. If they want it held in 2021 and they understand that club Football comes first, they can throw their toys out of the pram if they want but it won't achieve anything other than risking some players being forced to choose between club and country, potentially some stars will stay with their clubs, weakening the strength of the tournament overall. The International tournaments will be held around the domestic calendar, whenever it becomes safe for that to start.

The World Cup in 2022 is now in Winter and some leagues are moving around for it.

How can you then say club football comes first?

The league next season can’t run beyond May due to the Euros. Which have to complete before the start of the Olympics in July, as there can’t be overlap due to the contractual conditions of sponsors and TV.

So your entire argument is moot, and utterly pointless in terms of the current reality.

Just on the cons.
1) The legal challenges will be far greater if you do not void and force teams to play, our of season, in little more than a circus.

2) TV companies will charge the league a lot more if they can't fulfil fixtures next season. Finishing this season is likely to mean less games, and less money still next season.

Regarding 1, I would hope clubs would make financial arrangements this Friday to help "soften" this which I am sure all clubs agree despite Tottenham and Newcastle and PFA's negativity.

On 2) Again I think the power is always with the League to a degree and the power struggle will be flexible due to huge impact and influence.

Sky and BT will not like to be seen to be forcing clubs into this season completion because one player can shut it down due to the huge health risk.

The World Cup in 2022 is now in Winter and some leagues are moving around for it.

How can you then say club football comes first?

That particular tournament is unique because of where it is. It cannot physically, safely be held at any other time than in winter in Qatar.

it is fixed to that time of year, so it can't be moved about 3 or 6 months either side like other tournaments possibly could.

It could, in theory, be pushed back to winter 2023, rather than 2022. That's a possibility (how possible, who can say, but a possibility all the same).

If this 2022 World Cup were being held in almost any other country that didn't have extreme temperatures, the World Cup would never have been moved to December in the 1st place would it?

It's only been moved to December to suit the climate of this nation so that they can host their World Cup.

The league next season can’t run beyond May due to the Euros. Which have to complete before the start of the Olympics in July, as there can’t be overlap due to the contractual conditions of sponsors and TV.

So your entire argument is moot, and utterly pointless in terms of the current reality.

Nobody knows the current reality, the brightest minds aren't sure what the next 3, 6, 9 or 12 months will look like so you and I aren't likely to know.

Sure, the next season could easily run beyond May. The Euros and the Olympics have been bumped 12 months along once, they can be shuffled along a bit further to accommodate the broadcasters contractual obligations.

Nobody knows the current reality, the brightest minds aren't sure what the next 3, 6, 9 or 12 months will look like so you and I aren't likely to know.

Sure, the next season could easily run beyond May. The Euros and the Olympics have been bumped 12 months along once, they can be shuffled along a bit further to accommodate the broadcasters contractual obligations.
So you’re now saying the Olympics should be moved again because of the football season?

Give your head a wobble

So again, what happens when the PL season is still aiming to be finished by July 2021 but the Euros kick-off in June 2021?

Or what happens when say Celtic's CL and Wolves' EL qualifying games occured in July? Does the season end and teams like that immediately start the next season without a break?

What is clear is something is going to have to give next season & it wont be a conventional Aug - May calendar. Yesterday's UEFA meeting effectively ruled out the start of next season until September and before you consider the loss of those weeks, you need to add in the extra international fixtures which need to be added to the calendar; so you are probably talking 5 weeks lost - to date there also seems a commitment from the major european leagues to act collectively in continuing or voiding, when the next round of decisions is made...

My first post in this thread was widely ridiculed, when I said that I wouldn't be surprised if the Euros moves again to the same slot as the Qatar 2022 WC and we end up with two seasons from Jan - Oct, with a mid-summer break across Europe; I still wouldnt be shocked if this is where this all pans out

Status
Not open for further replies.