Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes, but not all the games were played. I suspect we settle for 3/4 of the money. Probably the fairest way to resolve it. Whats important is we don't lose anymore money next season.

Seeing as the money has already been paid, it's seems an obvious path. And when next season does start, it'll be back to square 1 in terms of TV contracts. Full season, full TV money. And has been mentioned, if Sky doesn't want to pony up the same amount or even drops football, there'll be other platforms more than willing to step up.

And those payments have already been made, no? Doubt they'd have a leg to stand on if they demanded payback.

Yes; those payments have definitely been made for 75%, yes it has been widely reported (the athletic primarily, who undoubtedly would like to see the league continue) that the PL will have to pay the full amount back. Who knows where the actual would end up, but if both are true and the league is voided no doubt there would be a lot of legal teams making a lot of cash...

I'm assuming Gary Neville's neatly timed tweet saying the league must be completed reflects the views of his employers and that remains their stance on it, this will undoubtedly calm over time as this season fades in the memories.

If they decide to show all the remaining matches live on a channel where there is advertising, and with perhaps still some restrictions on travelling and some social distancing ongoing...the tv are going to make a killing on advertising with all those people at home watching the games. Sky will make a tidy little profit at the end of all this. People losing out big time are going to be in the hospitality sector.

Yes; those payments have definitely been made for 75%, yes it has been widely reported (the athletic primarily, who undoubtedly would like to see the league continue) that the PL will have to pay the full amount back. Who knows where the actual would end up, but if both are true and the league is voided no doubt there would be a lot of legal teams making a lot of cash...

I'm assuming Gary Neville's neatly timed tweet saying the league must be completed reflects the views of his employers and that remains their stance on it, this will undoubtedly calm over time as this season fades in the memories.

Again, the situation is a textbook example of a frustrated contract. Add in force majeure and no court in the world would support the TV companies' demands for money already paid to be paid back. Gary Neville's tweet reflects one thing only, in my opinion -- and that's giving United a chance to finish in a Champions League place.

Seeing as the money has already been paid, it's seems an obvious path. And when next season does start, it'll be back to square 1 in terms of TV contracts. Full season, full TV money. And has been mentioned, if Sky doesn't want to pony up the same amount or even drops football, there'll be other platforms more than willing to step up.

I think we see potentially deflationary pressure on the market. The point is though, we run a far greater risk if we go messing about with season start dates, end dates etc. This is particularly so with international providers. Football fills a certain niche at a certain time.

Our priority needs to be, essentially to ensure we can sort next season out properly. That should be the only real focus now. Right this season off and work for next season.

This "world cup" setup idea is hideous and indicates exactly that this is now just about money and fulfilling contracts. Seriously are any fans now arsed about watching their team play a load of dead rubber matches, on TV, and with no crowd? Desolation, mate.

It'll be like a really, really boring world cup with only one team that can actually win it anyway (and who everyone else hates). Then we'll plod on until the end, except with three other teams fighting not to get relegated, and failing. More desolation. Talk about going through the motions. It'll be a tedious chore for players and fans alike, all in the immediate wake of a seriously weakened worldwide economy and untold thousands of people having lost their livelihoods, and worse, lives.

Football is supposedly entertainment, this will not be. It would be an utter charade. If there's any place for PL football after this it should be as something positive and communal to bring people together and mark an optimistic new beginning once the crisis ends. Not just limping towards a foregone conclusion simply to cut the losses of TV corporations or to pacify the most self entitled fan base in the world.

I think we see potentially deflationary pressure on the market. The point is though, we run a far greater risk if we go messing about with season start dates, end dates etc. This is particularly so with international providers. Football fills a certain niche at a certain time.

Our priority needs to be, essentially to ensure we can sort next season out properly. That should be the only real focus now. Right this season off and work for next season.

Exactly. Don't tell Keiran, that, though. He's wondering why football has to be an August-May thing.

Again, the situation is a textbook example of a frustrated contract. Add in force majeure and no court in the world would support the TV companies' demands for money already paid to be paid back. Gary Neville's tweet reflects one thing only, in my opinion -- and that's giving United a chance to finish in a Champions League place.

Without seeing contracts I would absolutely guess you are right, the only thing is a frustrated contract all comes down to capability, the PL are capable of playing the remaining games, this capability reduces the longer the hiatus.

Re Neville - agree re Man United; but I would be shocked if he didn't run it by SKY or SKY didnt run it by him to send in advance, he has become their defacto spokesman on a lot of issues(VAR etc)

Gary Neville has changed tack and is speaking on behalf of Sky.

I'm not saying it's impossible they choose such a law suit, or even that they might win. However all I would add is
1) Such an act, to take back money already provided to the league would destroy the league
2) If Sky were to pursue this, it would kill the relationship. It would never recover, it would be an act of war from Sky.
3) If thats their thinking, that ostensibly they either want to bail, or they cannot afford it anymore then they will use any excuse to withdraw money. A season finishing late, games being clumped together, or at unusual times, and especially games being shown on different platforms (if behind closed doors) would also necessitate a likely legal challenge.

The Athletic are in Liverpool's pocket and sky's currently. However I do not see much sense of Sky pursuing an avenue of wanting all money's back. It would be an act of war. I suspect they will want 1/4 back.

I mean it's a hard argument, as 3 weeks ago I was saying cancelling and just installing a champion wouldn't be enough to safeguard the TV money's, which people felt ridiculous. It now seems to be going the other way.

I think Sky still have an interest in football. I think they will want 1/4 back out of court to avoid legal fees. They will demand a full season next year though. We can afford to lose 1/4 of fees. We cannot afford to lose 1/2 or even a whole season next year just to save 1/4 this year.

Exactly. Don't tell Keiran, that, though. He's wondering why football has to be an August-May thing.

Well it's been what has worked for 140 years. Is there any desire to change that, on the back of a fag packet, merely to save a 10 game part of a season? At some point you have to say, re-routing the entire history of football is not outweighed by trying to re-start a season part way through months later. It's not an equal trade off for most clubs.

So declare this season null and void.

Status
Not open for further replies.