Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, this simply isn't true. There are 25 flights from Madrid to London scheduled for tomorrow, they will not be cancelled, and thousands of people who have been in Madrid will land in the capital, as they have from Italy and China during the outbreak. Until international travel is restricted, the things people are talking about in here are peeing in the wind.
Well Trump has banned flights from most of Europe , so it’s startimg

Nothing selfish about this - what if this thing is here to stay? You happy to live your life on lockdown "incase" you catch it?

You could die tomorrow buddy.

I just think Government has to factor in with any decision that this thing might sadly be here to stay, no summer withering away nor any vaccine - you cant shutdown a country forever we'll collapse.

Oh ok, didn't realise you were trolling. Nice one.

Hi everyone, I posted a long long time ago but as this is a common threat I'd just like to let You know how we are handling this virus. These are today's news here in Hungary (incl. no cancellation just yet but every sporting event behind closed doors), we have 13 infected, no death:

Extraordinary measures announced by Gulyás:
  • No entry into Hungary allowed from Italy, China, South Korea, and Iran, except for Hungarian citizens who will automatically be ordered to self-isolate. All air traffic, trains, and buses coming from these countries will be shut down beginning from midnight,
  • Restrictions will apply at the Slovenian and Austrian border as well,
  • False statements concerning the virus will be sanctioned, just like the violation of quarantine orders,
  • Universities will only hold remote classes,
  • Outdoors public events of over 500 people and indoors public events of over 100 people banned - this does not apply to workplaces and malls, but does apply to cinemas and theatres, football games will be played behind closed gates. Parliament will remain operational.
  • No school trips abroad are allowed, and the recently announced free two-week language courses abroad for Hungarian students will take place a year later.
  • More measures will be announced later.

The Minister said children do not typically catch Covid-19, therefore it is unnecessary to close schools at this point, adding that only 15 EU member states closed schools - as soon as children are affected, new measures may be announced. Gulyás said that these measures will be in effect until they are revoked, which may take weeks or months.
Answering questions from the press, Gulyás informed about the following:
  • Concerning the entry ban, special regulations about foreign spouses of Hungarian citizens may be introduced.
  • Ministers and state secretaries will need special permission to travel abroad,
  • The government is not planning to lock down Budapest or any other major cities,
  • Transportation of goods will not be affected by these measures,
  • Self-isolation orders may be enforced by police,
  • There are 37 laboratories in Hungary performing tests for Covid-19, the government deems that number sufficient based on WHO guidelines.
  • The Minister urged people to work from home if they can.
But are you doing all you can
Are you washing your hands
According to Boris Johnson that’s all you need to do lol

True. But I think everyone is like ‘oh we only have so many hundred it’s not that bad’ well that’s confirmed! There’s probably hundreds possibly thousands more who have it now but don’t know yet. I didn’t think it would get this bad, I honestly thought it was scaremongering by the media and it would just fade away.
This ain’t going anywhere anytime soon
That I can GUARANTEE you

Playing games behind closed doors seems morally wrong to me, we keep getting told football is a business these days, but what other businesses operate without its customers? The only winners will be SKY/BT etc and their advertisers who will see a significant spike in viewers. Feels like its just another kick in the teeth to the fans, the people who made football what it is.

If this virus affected IT equipment not humans and SKY/BT etc couldn't broadcast a game, there is no doubt the game would be cancelled

But realistically nothing you can do will stop it.

I literally had a week off from work last year and caught a cold despite literally barely leaving my front door - I honestly believe anything airborne can find its way to you.

They'll be thousands who will have this thing but will attribute it to a cold/flu.

I think their is alot of panic over something you cant control - im terrified of cancer but you cant live your life checking your body for lumps every second.
Your epidemiology qualification. Is it a full PhD or just a bachelor degree?

Nothing selfish about this - what if this thing is here to stay? You happy to live your life on lockdown "incase" you catch it?

You could die tomorrow buddy.

I just think Government has to factor in with any decision that this thing might sadly be here to stay, no summer withering away nor any vaccine - you cant shutdown a country forever we'll collapse.

I'll just repeat this - it's not the virus that will kill most people who die but the hospitals being overwhelmed. people who would have survived if the right care was in place won't survive if everyone catches it at once. And that includes other conditions like heart attacks, strokes, car accidents etc. If every doctor is focusing on coronavirus and there are no critical care beds, that's the reality we will face. Italy are facing that reality now, along with doctors making choices based on who they think has best chance of survival .

We need some kind of measures to slow that down and right now we have an opportunity to get ahead of the situation having seen what Italy face, but money talks and people are too stupid and selfish to comply. Its like they need it to be a disaster on their own doorstep to take it seriously

Oh ok, didn't realise you were trolling. Nice one.

Why you getting so angry?

I have a different opinion to you chill out. As bad as it I hazard a guess hundreds if not thousands have this thing not officially recorded but it'll pass because symptoms are mild in the majority of cases.

You cant shutdown a country forever - therefore any government thinking if putting measures in place has to factor in that this thing may not be gone in a month or two's time as some seem to weirdly believe nor can a vaccine just be whipped out of thin air like a cocktail.

More than likely this will be here for a good number of months if not years that may spike in certain times like the cold/flu in winter months- and will therefore pass through the population as the former two - the question is how many job losses & business closures will happen?

Its not as easy a decision to make as some on social media with the "DER SHUT DER PLACE DOWN DER BORIS LAD" shouts.

Just like flu, got to run it’s course
Guess the concern is how quickly it spreads and the effects it will cause in a very quick timescale

I guess best we can hope for is we are better prepared than the likes of Italy, who unfortunately were not expecting it to be as bad as it actually is
It’s not just like flu
For the flu you can get a vaccine
This will hit the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions hard
It will make no difference how often they wash their hands
America has just banned the vast majority of flights from Europe
Finally Trump is taking it seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.