Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that one of the things with sporting events is that people will often already have a ticket and particularly with football fans there's a tendency to go to support your team even if you're not in the mood or don't feel 100%, though this is miles beyond that. On the cost side the price of a ticket is quickly getting comparable to the price of a bottle of handwash so it's neither here nor there really is it. Just because the government doesn't cancel such events doesn't mean anyone has to go.

You're not in any way qualified to make definitive statements on this. It's a respiratory virus, so, if you speak to people who are actually qualified to give an informed opinion on this ( I'm not one, but I know people who are ), it'll be spread either directly ( via a cough ), or indirectly ( via a contaminated surface ).

At the moment, it's thought that the highest risk of spread is indirect via surfaces, and you'll be exposed to far more surfaces in a shopping centre than at somewhere like Goodison.

I get you're trying to make political capital from this, but you're just making yourself like stupid.
Are you in the medical profession Dave?
I'm quoting from clinicians who know far more about it than you two.

From the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Stockholm, 2020

High-risk exposure (close contacts*)
  • A person living in the same household as a COVID-19 case
  • A person having had direct physical contact with a COVID-19 case (e.g. shaking hands)
  • A person having unprotected direct contact with infectious secretions of a COVID-19 case (e.g. being
    coughed on, touching used paper tissues with a bare hand)
  • A person having had face-to-face contact with a COVID-19 case within 2 metres [2] and > 15 minutes
  • A person who was in a closed environment (e.g. classroom, meeting room, hospital waiting room, etc.)
    with a COVID-19 case for 15 minutes or more and at a distance of less than 2 metres
  • A healthcare worker (HCW) or other person providing direct care for a COVID-19 case, or laboratory
    workers handling specimens from a COVID-19 case without recommended PPE or with a possible breach
    of PPE [3]
  • A contact in an aircraft sitting within two seats (in any direction) of the COVID-19 case, travel companions
    or persons providing care, and crew members serving in the section of the aircraft where the index case was seated [4] (if severity of symptoms or movement of the case indicate more extensive exposure, passengers seated in the entire section or all passengers on the aircraft may be considered close contacts)

• 2. Low-risk exposure (casual contact)

• A person who was in a closed environment with a COVID-19 case for less than 15 min or at a distance of more than 2 metres
  • A person having had face-to-face contact with a COVID-19 case for less than 15 min and at a distance of less than 2 metres
  • Traveling together with a COVID-19 case in any kind of conveyance.
    Longer duration of contact increases the risk of transmission; the 15-minute limit is arbitrarily selected for practical purposes. Based on individual risk assessments, public health authorities may consider expanding contact tracing and management to persons who had a shorter duration of contact with a case.

IN A NUTSHELL: PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO PEOPLE IN A CONFINED SPACE > THE LIKELIHOOD OF TRANSMISSION.

I nipped out to my local store this morning, on the way in I saw a young woman coughing into her hand before returning her trolley, and on the way out I had to step away from some spit left by some other caring customer. The point being that some people will never change their behaviour, and so the spread of this virus is inevitable. The Government need to take this more seriously to avoid overloading the NHS in the immediate short-term, while they prepare for a longer term sustained outbreak.
This government are run by right wing, small government advocating cultists.

They;d rather thousands died than change their view and admit that their ideas on how to defend the people of this country are completely flawed.

We need a strong and expnsive government hitting this situation with tons of money and human resources and we need a containment policy in place that makes it all but impossible to assemble in large gatherings.

Just lead a dull life for a few weeks until the worst has passed. It's really that simple. Wash your hands & be boring. The second a Premier League player catches it, just you watch that club scream for the season to be cancelled. Thier fixtures wont be fulfilled so neither will other teams so what's the point in trying to continue for a few more weeks when if we had stopped sooner the spread would be less. It's going to get stopped or delayed or played behind closed doors either way. Why delay the inevitable.

• A person having had direct physical contact with a COVID-19 case (e.g. shaking hands)
  • A person having unprotected direct contact with infectious secretions of a COVID-19 case (e.g. being
  • A person having had face-to-face contact with a COVID-19 case within 2 metres [2] and > 15 minutes
  • A person who was in a closed environment (e.g. classroom, meeting room, hospital waiting room, etc.)
    with a COVID-19 case for 15 minutes or more and at a distance of less than 2 metres
  • A healthcare worker (HCW) or other person providing direct care for a COVID-19 case, or laboratory
    workers handling specimens from a COVID-19 case without recommended PPE or with a possible breach
    of PPE [3]
  • A contact in an aircraft sitting within two seats (in any direction) of the COVID-19 case, travel companions
    or persons providing care, and crew members serving in the section of the aircraft where the index case was seated [4] (if severity of symptoms or movement of the case indicate more extensive exposure, passengers seated in the entire section or all passengers on the aircraft may be considered close contacts)

• A person who was in a closed environment with a COVID-19 case for less than 15 min or at a distance of more than 2 metres
  • A person having had face-to-face contact with a COVID-19 case for less than 15 min and at a distance of less than 2 metres
    Longer duration of contact increases the risk of transmission; the 15-minute limit is arbitrarily selected for practical purposes. Based on individual risk assessments, public health authorities may consider expanding contact tracing and management to persons who had a shorter duration of contact with a case.

IN A NUTSHELL: PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO PEOPLE IN A CONFINED SPACE > THE LIKELIHOOD OF TRANSMISSION.

I have no knowledge myself. I am very happy to rely on the advice of our medical professionals.

of PPE [3]

Can it be transmitted through sexual contact?
Asking for a friend.

of PPE [3]

Just out of interest, who do we know who any of the 300 people with the virus are? Like, how do we know who's got it and who hasnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.