2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a new keeper. He seems to be at fault for most of our goals conceded at the minute. I would take that keeper from Newcastle

I think he has very similar stats for errors leading to goals. Every keeper makes these mistakes but we see Pickford all the time so he looks markedly worse than others when that's not the actual truth. It's nothing that De Gea and Kepa haven't been guilty of over the last year or so.

That said he is not close to being one of the best keepers in the league and a club with ambition needs that. There also needs to be much stronger competition for his place.

For the sake of a positive I thought he was good today when coming off his line and commanding his box. The goal which wasn't the biggest howler - wrong footed but then why was Fernandes given all that time to run at him and pick a shot? The goal was contributed to by two or three players not doing the basics.

I think he has very similar stats for errors leading to goals. Every keeper makes these mistakes but we see Pickford all the time so he looks markedly worse than others when that's not the actual truth. It's nothing that De Gea and Kepa haven't been guilty of over the last year or so.

That said he is not close to being one of the best keepers in the league and a club with ambition needs that. There also needs to be much stronger competition for his place.

For the sake of a positive I thought he was good today when coming off his line and commanding his box. The goal which wasn't the biggest howler - wrong footed but then why was Fernandes given all that time to run at him and pick a shot? The goal was contributed to by two or three players not doing the basics.
I agree with what you’re saying but he is making far too many mistakes to be classed as top class and will never get to that.

I would throw money at Utd for Hendersonwho is going to be England number one very soon if he carries on like this. Him or Newcastle keeper.

I also agree with the fact it was a few players fault for the goal but it’s not like it was top bin it weren’t even close the post it was right at him really just slow to react

De Gea and Kepa have been slated as well and Kepa has been dropped, he’s also a poor keeper. Pickford is making more errors than ever before this season, including the two previous playing for us, so it’s not a case of us seeing him every week and picking out everything he does.

I agree with what you’re saying but he is making far too many mistakes to be classed as top class and will never get to that.

I would throw money at Utd for Hendersonwho is going to be England number one very soon if he carries on like this. Him or Newcastle keeper.

I also agree with the fact it was a few players fault for the goal but it’s not like it was top bin it weren’t even close the post it was right at him really just slow to react

This - Henderson is superior in every way. England would be daft not to make the change as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

I agree he makes too many mistakes - whether that can be ironed out or not is anyone's guess. He's still fairly young in keeper terms but he's also very experienced with a lot of games under his belt so that lends weight to the opinion he may not improve enough. Keepers can have bad years though, it happens to most of them at some point or other.

As for a slow reaction I think it looked like he was caught on the wrong foot in a poor position. Obviously wasn't expecting to come under pressure so soon after the goal kick so you'd have to question concentration levels. Again, a lot of keepers will say that later in their career the game seems to "slow" down and they can anticipate things much better. Pure guesswork from where I'm sitting whether this is the case for Pickford.

For me it's still up in the air whether Pickford can be a top keeper but what's not up for debate is the need for proper competition for his place.

I agree he makes too many mistakes - whether that can be ironed out or not is anyone's guess. He's still fairly young in keeper terms but he's also very experienced with a lot of games under his belt so that lends weight to the opinion he may not improve enough. Keepers can have bad years though, it happens to most of them at some point or other.

As for a slow reaction I think it looked like he was caught on the wrong foot in a poor position. Obviously wasn't expecting to come under pressure so soon after the goal kick so you'd have to question concentration levels. Again, a lot of keepers will say that later in their career the game seems to "slow" down and they can anticipate things much better. Pure guesswork from where I'm sitting whether this is the case for Pickford.

For me it's still up in the air whether Pickford can be a top keeper but what's not up for debate is the need for proper competition for his place.
He doesn’t seem to learn from these silly mistakes though. On his day great shot stopper and has even started collecting the ball a bit more but you worry every time he comes for it or the opponent shoots on target because like you say his concentration seems to be his worst issue.

either get someone like Romeo at United who is a decent keeper to give him hassle or cut our losses and get shut and spend big money on another keeper

Can't be doing with him anymore. These short goal kicks in the box never work, the fact that you're allowed to make them doesn't necessarily mean you gain an advantage if you mess them up regularly. And then he's stood there gesticulating and pointing at the others when he's ballsed it up himself. I was watching him in front of us in the second half and he's shouting and waving his arms when WE have a corner. I worked for someone like that for a while, she was more than ready to call out anyone else even when they were doing as they were supposed to but didn't have half a clue about doing her own job. Taxi!

Can't be doing with him anymore. These short goal kicks in the box never work, the fact that you're allowed to make them doesn't necessarily mean you gain an advantage if you mess them up regularly. And then he's stood there gesticulating and pointing at the others when he's ballsed it up himself. I was watching him in front of us in the second half and he's shouting and waving his arms when WE have a corner. I worked for someone like that for a while, she was more than ready to call out anyone else even when they were doing as they were supposed to but didn't have half a clue about doing her own job. Taxi!

He is someone who cannot stand still and wants to be involved in the game at all times, a nightmare when it's goalkeeper we are talking about. He also gurns a lot and is always fidgeting when you see him in the tunnel before matches.

I genuinely think he's got ADHD, he demonstrates all the telltale signs.

Sick of this guy and his antics. Costs us a goal....makes a great save....another Pickford debate. Standard.
Can we just have “makes a great save” please. That’s all I want. Don’t think it’s too much to ask. A keeper that costs us two or three a season I can deal with. But this guy is 2/3 a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.