Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
De Gea is clearly wrongfooted on the replay, and has no opportunity to play the ball whatsoever post-deflection. If you read this rule carefully, the obstruction of line of vision does not in and of itself matter. De Gea has to be able to play the ball in the absence of the obstruction, and there is absolutely no way that he can play the ball here whether or not his vision is impeded.

He's preventing him moving foward off his line to close the angle

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
Well unless DeGea had his legs removed making him 3 foot tall how was his vision impeded. I look forward to your explanation

He's lying 1 yard in front of him

Would you say he's stopping him moving forward off his line?
No. What's stopping him moving forward off his line is the fact he's going to his right because of the shot before it was deflected. Gylfi does nothing to interfere with him or the path of the ball.

Why would he be moving off his line to close down a ball that’s coming at him after it’s bounced off one of his defenders please?

Balls dropped to a player on his left, Gyilf is lying directly in front of him stopping him moving to that side and closing the angle of a possible shot

It was an own goal that should have stood.
Switch that decision to old trafford and exact same scenario with a united player on the floor not touching it and that comes back from VAR as a goal in my opinion.

No. What's stopping him moving forward off his line is the fact he's going to his right because of the shot before it was deflected. Gylfi does nothing to interfere with him or the path of the ball.

Before the shots been hit Gyilf is stopping him moving off his line

He's preventing him moving foward off his line to close the angle

De Gea can't move in Sigurdsson's direction because he just transferred all of his weight in the other direction, if you watch the replay. By the time de Gea can shift his weight back to respond to the ball, the ball has already crossed the goal line.

If de Gea hadn't played himself out (by correctly moving to where the shot was going pre-deflection), I would concede that Sigurdsson is impeding de Gea's ability to play the ball in that position. As the play happened, though, de Gea can never actually occupy that space while the ball is in play.

I was thinking more if who it favours.

Me too, and my point is, IF it favours the top teams as has been suggested, then those teams wouldn't have been penalised to the extent they have either.

I think what we're seeing is a system that was pitched to the fans as being flawless, and yet there is no flawless system where humans are involved.

Still the majority of decisions are subjective and based on the perception of 2 or 3 people on the pitch.

De Gea can't move in Sigurdsson's direction because he just transferred all of his weight in the other direction, if you watch the replay. By the time de Gea can shift his weight back to respond to the ball, the ball has already crossed the goal line.

If de Gea hadn't played himself out (by correctly moving to where the shot was going pre-deflection), I would concede that Sigurdsson is impeding de Gea's ability to play the ball in that position. As the play happened, though, de Gea can never actually occupy that space while the ball is in play.

That's because he can't move in any other direction, Gyilf is blocking him

Status
Not open for further replies.