Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know the NBCSN commentators were arlo white, lee dixon and greame le Soux right?

I'm referring to Robbie Mustoe and the American in the studio whose name escapes me (Kyle?). Mustoe's been over here on TV for a while, so he's had time to get acclimated to our expectations with respect to replay.

Mind you, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that perspective. I happen to agree with it, as I think that the lack of consistency with respect to letting close decisions stand is one of VARs biggest problems. But it's hard to impute intent and call the decision corrupt when there's been no consistency on those calls to start with all season. Even the big fish have gotten hurt by some of the aggressive overturns.

And changed his mind when he found an excuse to, he never used all the equipment available to him to consider such a vital
I was concerned that it would be disallowed when it went in.

The commentators on NBCSN were outraged by the goal being disallowed. I think it's because they're socialized by the replay rules of the NFL, which can be summarized as that the ref's call on the field should stand in a borderline case. Sigurdsson ticks none of the boxes in the laws of the game that would render him offside rather than in an offside position.

In principle, VAR is supposed to also be letting close decisions like this one stand. In practice, that isn't happening. From what soccer I've seen this year, the refereeing and management of VAR seems more incompetent than corrupt, but I get where you all are coming from on that.

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Technically incorrect

dcl shot was off target so when it hits maguire then maguire is playing him onside and its an own goal

Only if Maguire has clearly attempted at the ball, if it hit a player with his back turned then he would still be offside. If a player attempts to play it then I think it becomes irrelevant.

Ultimately he’s offside and is in direct line of the shot (even moving his leg out of the way), so by the letter of the law it’s the correct decision.

The annoying thing is if Gylfi wasn’t there that still goes in.

It’s one of those incredibly unlucky calls in football, that ultimately is correct.

Got to be on the wind up here surely. Offside is irrelevant on a deflection that isn't touched again and how can line of sight be effected with someone who is about 6ft 6in tall against someone who is sitting on the floor. Not forgetting of course that he was already moving to his right when his own defender deflected it and couldn't have possibly saved it regardless of people sitting on the floor.

It was a stone wall goal and we have been robbed once again by a disgustingly corrupt system.

Offside offence
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
De Gea was already moving the other way because of the deflection, he wasn't being obstructed at all.

Disappointed with that how is Sig not scoring that chance in the first place tho. He’s been a constant disappointment all season. Least we didn’t lose but we deserved more we was great second half.

I'm referring to Robbie Mustoe and the American in the studio whose name escapes me (Kyle?). Mustoe's been over here on TV for a while, so he's had time to get acclimated to our expectations with respect to replay.

Mind you, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that perspective. I happen to agree with it, as I think that the lack of consistency with respect to letting close decisions stand is one of VARs biggest problems. But it's hard to impute intent and call the decision corrupt when there's been no consistency on those calls to start with all season. Even the big fish have gotten hurt by some of the aggressive overturns.
Fair enough but media teams get the benefit of the doubt more than most. Pretty sure I read a little while back that liverpool are up like 7+ points from var decisions this season. VAR isnt the issues it's the English fa 's application of it.

De Gea is clearly wrongfooted on the replay, and has no opportunity to play the ball whatsoever post-deflection. If you read this rule carefully, the obstruction of line of vision does not in and of itself matter. De Gea has to be able to play the ball in the absence of the obstruction, and there is absolutely no way that he can play the ball here whether or not his vision is impeded.

Supposedly the decision isn't made from the deflection off Maguire, it starts from our player hitting the ball, so Sigurdsson is offside.

He's offside but not interfering with play... Unless you deem he's obstructing the view of the keeper.... Looking at the paused view when DCL shoots, I think DeGea has a full view of the ball.... I don't know how VAR decided so quickly that he couldn't see the ball....once the ball hits maguire it doesn't matter if Sigurdson is offside..

De Gea is clearly wrongfooted on the replay, and has no opportunity to play the ball whatsoever post-deflection. If you read this rule carefully, the obstruction of line of vision does not in and of itself matter. De Gea has to be able to play the ball in the absence of the obstruction, and there is absolutely no way that he can play the ball here whether or not his vision is impeded.
Not to mention if you watch where his eyes are he sees the ball the entire way into the goal. We've been done here.

He's offside but not interfering with play... Unless you deem he's obstructing the view of the keeper.... Looking at the paused view when DCL shoots, I think DeGea has a full view of the ball.... I don't know how VAR decided so quickly that he couldn't see the ball....once the ball hits maguire it doesn't matter if Sigurdson is offside..

I agree mate, he wasn't interfering with play.

Status
Not open for further replies.