2019/20 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll punt Keane at the first opportunity.

Bring in a quality cb so we have 3 main ones in rotation and then Gibson will be 4th choice. He'll get minutes as long as we qualify for the Europa Legaue WHICH WE WILL!
I hope we do.
We need to be able to move players on for actual money when they are finished at Everton.
Something we’ve been pretty hopeless at latterly.

I think we'll punt Keane at the first opportunity.

Bring in a quality cb so we have 3 main ones in rotation and then Gibson will be 4th choice. He'll get minutes as long as we qualify for the Europa Legaue WHICH WE WILL!
I think a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in Gibson without any particular evidence that he can do it.

I’ve only seen him in the flesh once and I was really impressed, but there’s a big difference between doing it in a friendly at Wigan, in the under 23s, or in league 1, and doing it in the PL/Europa.

The common consensus on here is that current England international Michael Keane isn’t good enough to play for us. It’s a big assumption that a 19 year old kid most people have never seen play is.

I really hope he can by the way, that would be perfect. I’m just not sure he’s necessarily seen as that far along in his development.

I hope we do.
We need to be able to move players on for actual money when they are finished at Everton.
Something we’ve been pretty hopeless at latterly.

With two years remaining on his contract, this summer will be the opportune period for Everton to sell Keane. But there is only going to be a limited amount of clubs that will have an interest in him and be able to afford his fee and wages. Villa will have some money after selling Grealish, I could see him going there if they stay up.

With two years remaining on his contract, this summer will be the opportune period for Everton to sell Keane. But there is only going to be a limited amount of clubs that will have an interest in him and be able to afford his fee and wages. Villa will have some money after selling Grealish, I could see him going there if they stay up.
Similarly Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin also need to be moved on, but we face the same problem.

Found this of Keane at charity do

I think a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in Gibson without any particular evidence that he can do it.

I’ve only seen him in the flesh once and I was really impressed, but there’s a big difference between doing it in a friendly at Wigan, in the under 23s, or in league 1, and doing it in the PL/Europa.

The common consensus on here is that current England international Michael Keane isn’t good enough to play for us. It’s a big assumption that a 19 year old kid most people have never seen play is.

I really hope he can by the way, that would be perfect. I’m just not sure he’s necessarily seen as that far along in his development.

Only way we are going to find out is by moving him up the pecking order. He's doing everything that's currently asked of him for Fleetwood which is all he can do.

He's levels above everyone when playing for the u23's so it's either another loan where he will be into the final year of his contract again or he gets his chance with us.

Only way we are going to find out is by moving him up the pecking order. He's doing everything that's currently asked of him for Fleetwood which is all he can do.

He's levels above everyone when playing for the u23's so it's either another loan where he will be into the final year of his contract again or he gets his chance with us.
I say it all the time but that’s the only way ‘we’ find out in the me and you sense. You would hope that the people ‘we’ (in the club sense) are paying millions of pounds to make these decisions are able to find out without going that far.

My point was that the club hasn’t really made noises about him being particularly special. He got very late into his contract, only got a 2 year deal, hasn’t really made the bench even when we’ve been down to 2 fit centre halves, has gone to league one rather than the championship etc.

None of those things really scream that he’s likely to be in the first team picture next year, and yet there seems to be an assumption from many that he will. Again, I hope he is, I just don’t really see what has suggested it.

Report on newsnow Everton quotesthe transfer tavern saying we knocked back interest from Tottenham in the January window. Goes on to say they have been monitoring him all of 2019.
Honestly???

I don't think he will ever be good enough for a team that plays anything but two banks of 4 on the edge of your area football. But we also have been super fortunate to not have issues with only 3 CBs in the squad this year so he needs to be kept for another year or maybe two until that is properly sorted.

I say it all the time but that’s the only way ‘we’ find out in the me and you sense. You would hope that the people ‘we’ (in the club sense) are paying millions of pounds to make these decisions are able to find out without going that far.

My point was that the club hasn’t really made noises about him being particularly special. He got very late into his contract, only got a 2 year deal, hasn’t really made the bench even when we’ve been down to 2 fit centre halves, has gone to league one rather than the championship etc.

None of those things really scream that he’s likely to be in the first team picture next year, and yet there seems to be an assumption from many that he will. Again, I hope he is, I just don’t really see what has suggested it.

I think if we didn't rate him they wouldn't have been so adament in him signing a deal. Regardless of we wanted to make a profit, Gibson was in the driving seat and could have just sat out the remaining 6 months of his deal and got a nice tidy signing on fee in the summer.

That makes me think

A) they want to keep him
B) he signed because he's been given a pathway

I would have thought Ancelotti has taken a look at him, liked the looks of what he's seen and asked Brands to loan him put pronto.

As I said, I csn only go on what I've seen of him. And I've watched a fair few u23 matches and when he's playing he's streets ahead of the rest.

My assumption would be Gibson brought into the 1st team squad and Branthwaite is his u23 replacement.

Just my opinion though mate so don't hold me to the above ;)

He’s not a current England international though.

I think if we didn't rate him they wouldn't have been so adament in him signing a deal. Regardless of we wanted to make a profit, Gibson was in the driving seat and could have just sat out the remaining 6 months of his deal and got a nice tidy signing on fee in the summer.

That makes me think

A) they want to keep him
B) he signed because he's been given a pathway

I would have thought Ancelotti has taken a look at him, liked the looks of what he's seen and asked Brands to loan him put pronto.

As I said, I csn only go on what I've seen of him. And I've watched a fair few u23 matches and when he's playing he's streets ahead of the rest.

My assumption would be Gibson brought into the 1st team squad and Branthwaite is his u23 replacement.

Just my opinion though mate so don't hold me to the above ;)
Oh yeah, of course they want to keep him! I don't mean they wanted rid, that would make no sense at all.

They clearly think he's good, I'm talking about just how good though. As far as i'm aware we weren't batting off interest from Leicester and Wolves, nevermind Bayern, Barcelona and Real Madrid, in order to get him to sign a contract. The only PL team I saw mentioned was Newcastle, which is an obvious one. That suggests he isn't necessarily seen in football circles as likely to be a superstar in the next 12 months. The length of contract is an indicator too. There doesn't appear to have been any great rush to tie him to a long term contract as soon as we could, which is what usually happens when you're totally convinced on a player. All the reports when he signed the contract also suggested he was going to be loaned again next season; there was a lot of talk about them giving him a development map that he was happy with, rather than assurances that he would be getting game time.

None of that is a reflection of his long term prospects. I'm not saying they don't think he'll ever be really good, just that the indications are that they may be slightly hedging their bets in the short term. Holgate is just starting to come good now at 23, and even he can still look a bit of a defensive novice at times. Expecting a 20 year old to come in and be able to play centre half at the top level is a big ask I think. If he's capable of doing it then we should get him tied down long term ASAP, because that would suggest he's potentially top class.

Status
Not open for further replies.