January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are only 4 points away from 5th spot, I don't think we are pushing hard for 7th. And given that 7th is likely to get a European spot, even that is definitely worth pushing for anyway
I understand the points makes this enticing but there are 9 teams competing for 5th to 7th and we are starting the race 3rd from last. It is a low percentage chance.

Not really. It's one of the great myths of football that young players suddenly become a million times better just by playing games at any level. They really don't. There's also no guarantees that he would actually play much.
There's no guarantee he gets better playing games.

It is guaranteed that he won't get better not playing. You have to take the chance.

Well apparently our brilliant Director of Football has his hands tied and can't bring in another player to fill out the squad and allow him to go out on loan and improve.

I'm more arsed about our league position this season than Anthony Gordon's individual development.

It's four months of his development.

Next season we sign someone and out he goes. It shouldn't hold him back too much.

What else is there to do right now other than try and develop some players?

It's probably the best time to do it

But we can learn more if he plays.
We can. As in fans. And that's what this always boils down to. People get impatient because they want to see the youngsters, so they can make their own mind up on them. When people say 'how will we know how good they are if we don't play them' what they mean is 'how will I, as an individual, know'. How the club will know is by watching them in training.
You can check me on this but I'm pretty sure no top players have ever got there without playing games.
You can try and be clever if you want mate. I'm telling you as somebody with experience of coaching professional sportspeople that you can improve at the age of 18 without being exposed to senior professional matches. It's just a fact.

Another useful way of not getting in trouble with FFP is paying £0 for a good player.

I'm making the assumption that playing real football matches against adults is good for a young players development. Do you disagree?

Would he not be doing that when he gets in our squad?

We have three wingers if we keep Richarlison up front and get rid of Gordon.

That doesn't seem like the brightest idea to me.

Is keeping him here for four months going to mean he never develops into a quality player? I highly doubt it.

If he's going to make it then at most you could say this is a short term delay before he gets loaned out next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.