January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I understand how it works. To be honest the same principle applies if you call it 3 times really, so you can use whatever figure you're comfortable with and it won't change a thing. Again, i'm not saying we've made a massive error or anything, but we all know if this was Walsh it would be used as a stick to beat him with, but there's people falling over themselves to defend Brands for the same thing. On paper, selling a player who shortly afterwards moves again for considerably more money isn't great.

I think in general Steve Walsh gets a bit of a bad rap. There are lots of criticisms, but to me they are more about his inability to stamp authority on the club. I think he actually was very good at spotting a player, but lacked the force of personality to push through what he was trying to do. I can believe he wanted Maguire and Robertson, and Haaland as he stated. He should have been strong and bold enough to push the deals through though. Lookman, Vlasic, Gueye etc were all good signings too (Sandro much less so).

However I am not sure people would be crucifying Steve Walsh over Robinson. We signed Lucas Digne instead of him. Lucas Digne has been an excellent signing. We have got what we could for Robinson, 2 million down,1million (potentially more) on sale. Had we kept him, and he sits on the bench (even if we sell/release Baines he's still on the bench) he doesn't make the improvements required and Milan aren't coming in and paying the fee they are. We probably have another player on the books that people feel needs to be moved on as potential dead wood.

If the 10million fee is about right, Wigan will have paid us at least 3 million and will receive 9m. Thats a pretty fair breakdown given who took the up front risk with him.

Ultimately, we are not clinical enough in our decision making with young players. I am coming to the view Unsworth is a problem in this (his words re Harry Charsley really worried me) so I can hardly be critical if Brands is more decisive.

Much earlier on we need to decide with young players if they are going to be good enough, and if they are not we need to move them on, with a sell on fee (and ideally a buy back) attached. We should be doing more of what we've done with Robinson not less.

Having him sit around and not play just in case is not how you develop players. We're not winning anything this year. Europe is unlikely. Either he plays consistently or you loan him out and figure it out if injuries happen.
Well apparently our brilliant Director of Football has his hands tied and can't bring in another player to fill out the squad and allow him to go out on loan and improve.

I'm more arsed about our league position this season than Anthony Gordon's individual development.

It's four months of his development.

Next season we sign someone and out he goes. It shouldn't hold him back too much.

Well apparently our brilliant Director of Football has his hands tied and can't bring in another player to fill out the squad and allow him to go out on loan and improve.

I'm more arsed about our league position this season than Anthony Gordon's individual development.

It's four months of his development.

Next season we sign someone and out he goes. It shouldn't hold him back too much.
Let's push hard for 7th instead of making our team better so we could maybe win something in the future is an attitude I don't quite get.

I think in general Steve Walsh gets a bit of a bad rap. There are lots of criticisms, but to me they are more about his inability to stamp authority on the club. I think he actually was very good at spotting a player, but lacked the force of personality to push through what he was trying to do

He’s better suited as a scout, basically. He was very much out of his depth in the DOF role.

We've actually made the sensible decision not to sign rubbish for the sake of it.

I'm actually really shocked. And relieved.

Let Carlo see who wants to stay. Let Carlo decide who gets to stay. Let Carlo decide who has to leave. Then back him huge in the summer.

We need to see real quality additions and Brands must deliver.
I can guarantee you that the keep list will be a lot shorter than the in the bin list

Let's push hard for 7th instead of making our team better so we could maybe win something in the future is an attitude I don't quite get.
You're making the assumption that he's going to come back from the loan a better player or that he's guaranteed minutes.

And yes, given how tight we are with FFP finishing as high up the league as possible is very important.

we are only 4 points away from 5th spot, I don't think we are pushing hard for 7th. And given that 7th is likely to get a European spot, even that is definitely worth pushing for anyway

You're making the assumption that he's going to come back from the loan a better player or that he's guaranteed minutes.

And yes, given how tight we are with FFP finishing as high up the league as possible is very important.
Another useful way of not getting in trouble with FFP is paying £0 for a good player.

I'm making the assumption that playing real football matches against adults is good for a young players development. Do you disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.