Usmanov

Status
Not open for further replies.
this really.....

Usmanov is very smart. He could have announced a pre stadium sponsorship package, but there is already precedent for that. I have detailed before, I happen to think we are in quite a strong position on this, I mean City agreed in 2014 £80 million p/a with shirt sponsorship and the money in the game has close to doubled since then. So 30 million p/a would have got passed, but it would have been a bit tricky.

There is no precedent for this. So in any legal sense, good luck proving it does not meet the "market test" when there is an absence of any such market in existence. How do they think that is going to play out in a court of law?

The PL (who have ok'd it but a couple of snitch clubs are getting a bit uppity) will ok this and put them in their place. For self-preservation alone. Usmanov has far deeper pockets than them. They will not want a legal battle on terms outlined above. As they will lose, and have to pay his (not insubstantial costs). They would also be liable to a counter claim, from both Everton football club,Usmanov himself and from USM who have made this business decision. If they argue it has had just a 1% impact on their standing thats £150 million owed to Usmanov. It would bankrupt them before the organisation.

So once the PL pipe down the uppity clubs, then the principle will have been established, and we can become more brazen about sponsorships.

The real stupidity in all of this, was the thing to quibble was the 12 million (doubled) fee for the training ground. I mean that would struggle on a market test far more!

Usmanov is very smart. He could have announced a pre stadium sponsorship package, but there is already precedent for that. I have detailed before, I happen to think we are in quite a strong position on this, I mean City agreed in 2014 £80 million p/a with shirt sponsorship and the money in the game has close to doubled since then. So 30 million p/a would have got passed, but it would have been a bit tricky.

There is no precedent for this. So in any legal sense, good luck proving it does not meet the "market test" when there is an absence of any such market in existence. How do they think that is going to play out in a court of law?

The PL (who have ok'd it but a couple of snitch clubs are getting a bit uppity) will ok this and put them in their place. For self-preservation alone. Usmanov has far deeper pockets than them. They will not want a legal battle on terms outlined above. As they will lose, and have to pay his (not insubstantial costs). They would also be liable to a counter claim, from both Everton football club,Usmanov himself and from USM who have made this business decision. If they argue it has had just a 1% impact on their standing thats £150 million owed to Usmanov. It would bankrupt them before the organisation.

So once the PL pipe down the uppity clubs, then the principle will have been established, and we can become more brazen about sponsorships.

The real stupidity in all of this, was the thing to quibble was the 12 million (doubled) fee for the training ground. I mean that would struggle on a market test far more!

United signed with Aon for 160m on an 8-year contract, in 2013, its well within the market test.

They'll probably change the rules after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.