2019/20 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is assuming all the teams above don't get any points at all in this period
We now have a run of League games were we should do well in,but this is were the Everton of old usually come in and dont do as well as they should,saying that dont forget its not long till we have those reverse fixtures of games we just played,Gbamin was down to be back this month,If thats changed,ive seen nothing since

I'm not sure what the dispute is here? I don't think many people are claiming that he's guaranteed to be amazing, just that he would probably be in our first choice midfield, because that's what we signed him for. You seem to agree with that, but you're arguing against other people thinking it?

No I think my original point was about how he'll not get time to settle and come back from a long term injury. People expect immediate effect. Also how he's being almost put on a pedestal to be as such. I hope he succeeds. I just agree that we need to be cautious and manage expectations for an as yet unknown quantity. Probs get another niggle straight away in any case, usually the case after being out a while.

No dispute, just discussion.

We now have a run of League games were we should do well in,but this is were the Everton of old usually come in and dont do as well as they should,saying that dont forget its not long till we have those reverse fixtures of games we just played,Gbamin was down to be back this month,If thats changed,ive seen nothing since
The Gmamoin thing is doing my head in. I really want to see him in action, we have missed that sort of player badly this season

No I think my original point was about how he'll not get time to settle and come back from a long term injury. People expect immediate effect. Also how he's being almost put on a pedestal to be as such. I hope he succeeds. I just agree that we need to be cautious and manage expectations for an as yet unknown quantity. Probs get another niggle straight away in any case, usually the case after being out a while.

No dispute, just discussion.
But you said he was being 'touted as our first choice centre mid based on nothing at all'. We've just established that it isn't based on nothing at all, it's based on the logical assumption that he was signed to be our first choice centre mid, which you agree with. As I said, I don't think anybody's claiming he's going to be a ballon d'or contender when he's fit, just pointing out what I think everyone accepts as a fact, that he is our first choice central midfielder, and him being fit will be a good thing.

I've said in other threads, as a fan I think you have a 'right', for want of a better word, to expect effective performances from players who are picked on merit. If Gbamin is forced to play before he's physically ready because we have an injury crisis then he should be given plenty of leeway. If he's fully fit and selected ahead of other fit senior players then we should expect him to play at least as well as those players would do. We can all bear in mind that he's relatively young, coming off the back of an injury, getting used to the league etc, and not write him off as useless for the rest of his career, but we can comment on his individual performances and say he's not playing well if he's not.

But you said he was being 'touted as our first choice centre mid based on nothing at all'. We've just established that it isn't based on nothing at all, it's based on the logical assumption that he was signed to be our first choice centre mid, which you agree with. As I said, I don't think anybody's claiming he's going to be a ballon d'or contender when he's fit, just pointing out what I think everyone accepts as a fact, that he is our first choice central midfielder, and him being fit will be a good thing.

I've said in other threads, as a fan I think you have a 'right', for want of a better word, to expect effective performances from players who are picked on merit. If Gbamin is forced to play before he's physically ready because we have an injury crisis then he should be given plenty of leeway. If he's fully fit and selected ahead of other fit senior players then we should expect him to play at least as well as those players would do. We can all bear in mind that he's relatively young, coming off the back of an injury, getting used to the league etc, and not write him off as useless for the rest of his career, but we can comment on his individual performances and say he's not playing well if he's not.

You're like my wife telling me what I said!!

Apparently he was advised to have surgery but someone on our medical staff told him to let it heal by itself,low and behold he makes it worse and he's been out for months. Whoever gave him that advice wants bombing out the club. If you looking at are medical department across the board it absolute sham,Jesus one of our them tried to make Bolasie run off knee ligament damage.
It was Kenwright in both instances, can’t keep his nose out of anything!!! Erm, unless it is parting with his own money.

This is assuming all the teams above don't get any points at all in this period

it's not assuming anything. We are not far off European places so the season is not over whatsoever. We've messed up of 'easy' games and then in the hard games got a good haul of points unexpectedly. Had we done it the other way around people will be plenty confident of going and grabbing 6/7th.

I am a very pessmistic Everton fan, naturally since my 22 years have been woeful. However we are not in a bad position should we go and have a decent run against the teams we think we should get some wins against then we can grab a european spot.

We need to ease him back not rush him. Rushing him was part of the issue in the first place. We probably won't see the best of him till next season we need to bring another player into the midfield this window

it's not assuming anything. We are not far off European places so the season is not over whatsoever. We've messed up of 'easy' games and then in the hard games got a good haul of points unexpectedly. Had we done it the other way around people will be plenty confident of going and grabbing 6/7th.

I am a very pessmistic Everton fan, naturally since my 22 years have been woeful. However we are not in a bad position should we go and have a decent run against the teams we think we should get some wins against then we can grab a european spot.
Since you are only a third of my age, I have to break the bad news to you that you haven't even begun to experience misery!

On the other hand, there is glorious happiness every couple of decades or so, so you must be about due...

Since you are only a third of my age, I have to break the bad news to you that you haven't even begun to experience misery!

On the other hand, there is glorious happiness every couple of decades or so, so you must be about due...

I'm 28, so basically started going a YEAR after we won the cup in 95. I've seen some misery in my time. Will just make the day we do win the FA cup or league a much sweeter one.

I understand what you are saying but that is like the Arsenal fans saying they are 4 points off 5th and the wolves and spurs saying 1 point. It means nothing unless we win all our games and they lose theirs. Norwich fans might as well say they are only 17 points off 5th.

Even when he does come back he shouldn't be judged at all. Look at the rs and Fabinho. He never even got in their squad for 3 months and was barely played last season and now he's a key part of their side, even though he is out at the moment. Adapting a player for this league takes time, and even longer if you're not playing in it due to injury

Status
Not open for further replies.