Was Dunc right for hooking Kean?

Was Dunc right to hook Kean?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we forget about the human side of things LL, whether Kean couldn’t be arsed etc, we’re Still talking of a 19 yo lad in a foreign country trying to find his feet.
Yeah although I am giving Dunc the benefit of the doubt as to whether it was the correct thing to do I’m not going to pretend that wasn’t a really tough thing to happen to the lad and him disappearing off camera was probably best for all concerned. Just hope that there is a private sit down tomorrow with an open exchange of views/expectations that clears the air.

Remember a Shearer Interview when Gullit left him and Big Dunc on the bench against Sunderland and they lost, Shearer was up early next day to go in and have it out with him and when he arrived Dunc was already in there. Tearing a strip off him.
Dunc didn't even love Newcastle.
IMO it will be a measure of how much Kean cares how he reacts to this and if Dunc only wants players playing who are prepared to fight for their shirt then he was 100% right to do what he did.
Long may it continue.
No point having all that potential and high price tag, if you won't put it in. People criticised Rom for lack of effort but he scored goals. Kean doesn't look interested.
Even Richy sulks but scores goals.
Simple really, perform and play.
Not interested then get hooked.

Remember a Shearer Interview when Gullit left him and Big Dunc on the bench against Sunderland and they lost, Shearer was up early next day to go in and have it out with him and when he arrived Dunc was already in there. Tearing a strip off him.
Dunc didn't even love Newcastle.
IMO it will be a measure of how much Kean cares how he reacts to this and if Dunc only wants players playing who are prepared to fight for their shirt then he was 100% right to do what he did.
Long may it continue.
No point having all that potential and high price tag, if you won't put it in. People criticised Rom for lack of effort but he scored goals. Kean doesn't look interested.
Even Richy sulks but scores goals.
Simple really, perform and play.
Not interested then get hooked.
He should be in early for training tomorrow raring to go.

No sulkers, no prima donas, no stompers. We've seen enough of these dressing room spoilers in the prem recently, they've broken many a manager.

I'd rather Kean leave the club than Ferguson based on the efforts shown recently from them both.

Yep, he's only 19. But he cost 25 million quid and needs to prove he's worth it, as Duncan is trying to do for his own career.

It takes an incredible character to come back from being subbed off like that in such a big game. If Kean has the required character then it’s a genius move as it will push him to become better. If he doesn’t have the character then maybe he’s not the right fit for the team we want to become.

It takes an incredible character to come back from being subbed off like that in such a big game. If Kean has the required character then it’s a genius move as it will push him to become better. If he doesn’t have the character then maybe he’s not the right fit for the team we want to become.
Tbh I doubt it will ever be classed as a genius move on a human level - doing that to a player is probably the last option in a long string of things you can do more privately all of which have more chance of the player being able to make the required comeback.

But it is what it is and Everton desperately needed that point - now we’ll see how both Duncan and Moise handle it.

No option for depends. At first I thought it was madness but now Im seeing the footage of him strolling about. Maybe tough love is it what is needed, but I imaging he will get a transfer to the S@£$e and bang in a hatrick against us every game for eternity.

Ferguson is leader though and its do whats right for the team of 'get to F ya!!'

Tbh I doubt it will ever be classed as a genius move on a human level - doing that to a player is probably the last option in a long string of things you can do more privately all of which have more chance of the player being able to make the required comeback.

But it is what it is and Everton desperately needed that point - now we’ll see how both Duncan and Moise handle it.
This is true, genius probably the wrong word to use.

The team, and the club, is far, far greater than any individual. Ferguson obviously didn't put the lad on with twenty minutes to go with the intention of subbing him off again - he clearly felt he wasn't playing to his expectations and he'd get what was required from putting Niasse on in his place.

Bigger picture, I thought it was a great move from Dunc. Finally, a marker has been laid to the rest of the side that no individual is bigger than the club, and if you're not playing as prescribed, you're out.

Long overdue, IMO, though I have some empathy for Kean in the sense that there are far more experienced players in this team who have been under-performing for much longer who have had much more lenient treatment.

If Kean was physically unfit (naybe he had whatever creeping crud Sidibe and Sigurdsson had?) then he had to be pulled. The team's psyche would not survive another Leicester stoppage time loss and you can't see out the game with an unfit player.

If Kean was loafing.... it would be harsh IF it were the first time there had been an issue. I didn't think too much of the first time he was late, he's only a kid, everyone makes a mistake. I thought the rumors of immaturity from Italy were cheap shots. Now... the evidence is starting to accumulate that he's a head case. If so, then it had to be done.

If you're 19, and on the pitch for your side at Old Trafford in the 80th+ minute of a 1-1 game, and you've got a full tank because you've only been in the game a few minutes, and don't see it worthwhile to give full effort.... there are literally hundreds of millions of boys and men around the world who would give their left one for that chance, including a few dozen footballers within the club's reach who could compete for your job.

I just think the Kean/Bernard substitution was a poor one in the first place. Our fans are always clamoring to see him and well... they got him. Wrong sub given the context of the game. We needed to either maintain possession or sure up the defense. Kean did the opposite.

Aside from that, whatever was really going on behind the scenes, Duncan deflected the question masterfully. Kean did this to himself when he obviously didn’t show up conditioned. Whether what Duncan did was harsh or not (it probably was) is irrelevant to me because he deserved to come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.