Rafael and the small club comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, and Bruce has them on a bit of a run at the minute but Benitez had a negative net spend last year, where Bruce has been given almost £40m to sign the likes of Joelinton, Saint Maximin and Carroll, all of whom have won them points this season.

In terms of assists and goals, those 3 alone make up for that 9 point differential.
Is that the Geordie alternative net spend league table

You're obviously entitled to your opinion mate but I couldn't disagree more.

I think it an extremely hipster attitude to dismiss managers like Benitez and Emery and Mourinho here as though they weren't good enough for us!

Us?! Everton Football Club, the club that hasn't won a trophy since 1995 and our fans are dismissing manager's who've won more trophies in the last few years then we've won in the last fifty.
My point was more that 'hipster' isn't really the word you're looking for. It's a completely mainstream opinion, nothing hipster about it at all.

Don't give a toss whether Benitez cares to be honest, it just shows the world that he didn't perform the miracles at Newcastle that everyone wanted to make out he did.

Have a look at their form table last season for the last 16 matches. He had them 5th in the league based on that. Last 26 matches had them 8th.

They faced Spurs, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd and Leicester in their first 8 matches last season, that's why it looks like Bruce is doing better.

Last edited:
My point was more that 'hipster' isn't really the word you're looking for. It's a completely mainstream opinion, nothing hipster about it at all.
It really isn't a mainstream opinion to think that Benitez, Mourinho and Emery are all beneath Everton and aren't good managers.

Don't be fooled by a vocal minority on the internet. In real life anyone with a brain would agree that all three of them are obviously very good managers who're all miles better then anyone we've had for decades.

Is it mainstream?

I think the media, that quite like to sensationalise almost all things, would have you believe that Emery is incapable.

I think the majority of the managers, footballers and professionals outside of the journo's and the few overly-dramatic fans we have on here (not including yourself, mate) would suggest that Emery is a very competent, top level manager that has managed big clubs in the Champions League, won titles and achieved things that many others wouldn't have been able to.

Like all bar a select few managers in the history of the game, they aren't a universal success wherever they go.

Hipsters would have you believe Mourinho, like Benitez, is also 'past it' after his experience at United.

It really isn't a mainstream opinion to think that Benitez, Mourinho and Emery are all beneath Everton and aren't good managers.

Don't be fooled by a vocal minority on the internet. In real life anyone with a brain would agree that all three of them are obviously very good managers who're all miles better then anyone we've had for decades.
Is anyone saying they're beneath us? I don't know how you've added Mourinho to the mix now because a) I didn't comment on him at all, and b) a tiny minority would put Mourinho in the same bracket as the other two.

Benitez was a very good manager, but there's nothing in his recent record to suggest he would be a great appointment. He hasn't won a league title for 16 years, despite managing a number of clubs in a position to challenge for them. In 10 years managing in England he has won 1 domestic trophy. The idea that he's a 'proven winner' is laughable.

Same with Emery, he's not 'beneath us' but there are very good reasons why people don't really want him. His away record pretty much everywhere is poor, he did the unthinkable by failing to win the league with the world's richest club, he was widely criticised by Arsenal fans for failing to instill an identity, failing to address obvious issues, falling out with players, and playing people out of position. He took over a team in a much better position than us and left 18 months later without having improved them at all. There are worse appointments we could make, but there are better too.

Last edited:
Is it mainstream?

I think the media, that quite like to sensationalise almost all things, would have you believe that Emery is incapable.

I think the majority of the managers, footballers and professionals outside of the journo's and the few overly-dramatic fans we have on here (not including yourself, mate) would suggest that Emery is a very competent, top level manager that has managed big clubs in the Champions League, won titles and achieved things that many others wouldn't have been able to.

Like all bar a select few managers in the history of the game, they aren't a universal success wherever they go.

Hipsters would have you believe Mourinho, like Benitez, is also 'past it' after his experience at United.
See my reply above, which covers all that.

Have a look at their form table last season for the last 16 matches. He had them 5th in the league based on that. Last 26 matches had them 8th.

They faced Spurs, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd and Leicester in their first 8 matches last season, that's why it looks like Bruce is doing better.

There’s been 16 games this season, they’ve played City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leicester (who were crap at the start of last season), Spurs, United and Chelsea. They’ve beaten United and Spurs and got a point against City, how did Benitez get on in those first 8 games last season?

Is anyone saying they're beneath us? I don't know how you've added Mourinho to the mix now because a) I didn't comment on him at all, and b) a tiny minority of our fans would put Mourinho in the same bracket as the other two.

Benitez was a very good manager, but there's nothing in his recent record to suggest he would be a great appointment. He hasn't won a league title for 16 years, despite managing a number of clubs in a position to challenge for them. In 10 years managing in England he has won 1 domestic trophy. The idea that he's a 'proven winner' is laughable.

Same with Emery, he's not 'beneath us' but there are very good reasons why people don't really want him. His away record pretty much everywhere is poor, he did the unthinkable by failing to win the league with the world's richest club, he was widely criticised by Arsenal fans for failing to instill an identity, failing to address obvious issues, falling out with players, and playing people out of position. He took over a team in a much better position than us and left 18 months later without having improved them at all. There are worse appointments we could make, but there are better too.
I mentioned Mourinho before you first quoted me and did so because he's another top manager that some of our fans laughably dismissed a few mouths back just like they're doing now with Benitez and Emery.

Benitez's most recent work was the Newcastle rebuilding job when he took them straight back up after relegation (which is far from easy as many clubs and managers like Steve Bruce and Aston Villa can testify) and built them back to a decent side.

Prior to that he got sacked at Real Madrid for being third in the table. I could live with a similar horrible fate happening to Everton personally.

Prior to that he won the cup in Italy with Napoli.

Prior to that he won the Europa league at Chelsea.

Its laughable to call him a proven winner, despite the fact that he's won trophies at almost every single club he's ever managed. Ok mate........

Who're these better appointments we could make? Thats a real question mate. I'm honestly curious as to who you think that we could attract that has a better record then either Emery or Benitez right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.