New Everton Stadium Discussion

Does it?

No funding or partner for BMD, whereas Kirkby had some funding plan, private and public partners and PP in place.

Remind me again which one is the school project?

Dave you know full well there was no funding in place for Kirkby, it was all a lie for Tesco's benefit.
Kirkby dome was rightly called in and we were never going to get it funded with penniless owners behind us. Before that we had the Kings Dock fiasco, if I remember wasn't that funding in place and ringfenced, chortle, cough, cough.
Tell me the charlatan behind them moves, yes its Bill and this time he has nothing to do with funding.

It's allowed the owners a fantasy project to keep the fans off their backs.

It's happened 4 times before, I'm amazed many Everton supporters still fall for it.

I do understand your pessimism about it but as I said earlier, if this was solely Kenwright and Co I'd share your view. I just think this all feels different with Moshiri. The amount of money spent on the consultations and planning up to now just be millions. Appointing Dan Meis and Chong, not sure they are the types to become involved in pie in the sky projects either.

It really grinds my gears that good Evertonians like @Jacko93 etc are pulled into the web of lies and deceit with each stadium scheme. I've had it with stadium schemes. There's no funding for it and it's a wing and a prayer as per usual. Every new scheme they come up with takes the piss out of a new generation of supporter who couldn't learn the lesson of the previous failed scheme/scam. It's disgraceful.

TBF Dave, I haven't been pulled into anything. I have made decisions based upon information that I have had available to me. I wasn't keen on any of the other schemes, and never really expected them to go ahead in all honesty, certainly not with the same belief as I do with this one. KD, not really educated enough on that project, Bestway site always felt like a logistical nightmare, DK, once Evertonians turned against that on the level they did, it was always doomed. Even the construction company they were looking to use on DK looked like a red flag to me and, Walton park wouldn't have solved any problems, but that's by the by. This whole Stadium saga has been very professionally run and I believe it will continue to be done so. There have been mistakes and set backs, but every single project of this size on planet earth will face challenges. It is also a fairly unique instance for many blues out there, where they feel a need to be involved in every section of the process (and everybody is perfectly entitled to do that) but a watched kettle never boils. The public are rarely aware of projects this scale until much further along in the process than when most became aware of this one. I personally have been involved in past projects for 4-5 years before even the intention of them has become public, some of them have failed prior to it ever becoming public, some have not. Of the ones that have failed, I see no correlation between those and this although, granted, many were vastly different projects with different drivers and funding models.

In short, I do respect that you have concerns and that those concerns are born from experience of Everton and their history of ground moves. I have history of ground moves also, not all of Everton, not all even in this country, not all have happened, but I'm not seeing anything with this project that would cause me undue concern. Nobody has to listen to me, but they are my thoughts.

I'm sure we are big and ugly enough to handle it should it go south. If this was just Kenwright in charge I'd agree with you.

As for calling it in, it's a plot of empty space, is the waste works going to say it is blocking their view? Is the BM pub going to complain about light? I don't think so. The only reason for the objections would be the WHS situation, but surely the government would see this as a local issue what would bring more benefits to the city.
There are conservation bodies queuing up here. And dont rule out politicking between the City Region and LCC.

In any case, funding isn't there. It's a massive uphill battle and the club aren't relaying that fact.

TBF Dave, I haven't been pulled into anything. I have made decisions based upon information that I have had available to me. I wasn't keen on any of the other schemes, and never really expected them to go ahead in all honesty, certainly not with the same belief as I do with this one. KD, not really educated enough on that project, Bestway site always felt like a logistical nightmare, DK, once Evertonians turned against that on the level they did, it was always doomed. Even the construction company they were looking to use on DK looked like a red flag to me and, Walton park wouldn't have solved any problems, but that's by the by. This whole Stadium saga has been very professionally run and I believe it will continue to be done so. There have been mistakes and set backs, but every single project of this size on planet earth will face challenges. It is also a fairly unique instance for many blues out there, where they feel a need to be involved in every section of the process (and everybody is perfectly entitled to do that) but a watched kettle never boils. The public are rarely aware of projects this scale until much further along in the process than when most became aware of this one. I personally have been involved in past projects for 4-5 years before even the intention of them has become public, some of them have failed prior to it ever becoming public, some have not. Of the ones that have failed, I see no correlation between those and this although, granted, many were vastly different projects with different drivers and funding models.

In short, I do respect that you have concerns and that those concerns are born from experience of Everton and their history of ground moves. I have history of ground moves also, not all of Everton, not all even in this country, not all have happened, but I'm not seeing anything with this project that would cause me undue concern. Nobody has to listen to me, but they are my thoughts.
Well it's at least good to know that you personally have your eyes wide open on this scheme.

I take your point about the length of the process and that there wont be any short-cut, time-wise.

However, I must say to you that those other projects you mention you've been involved in are different to this one in one important respect: they either get built or they dont; there's a pay off or there's wasted finances finding out that they wont fly. Zero sum game. But with Everton and their stadium scheme's there's one other factor involved: it isn't a zero sum game, because the very act of setting in motion a 3/4/5 year scheme is a political act in that, even if the stadium scheme goes west, it can provide a service to the owners of the club who in that period of time will be handed a wide berth in terms of their own personal impact on the club as a competitive force. Let's call it a virtuous spin-off.

If the club have spent out cash on land at this point and professional consultancy fees, it'll have been money well spent as far as the owner is concerned. Just look how much this regime and previous ownership regimes have gotten away with over the last 10-15 years.

Experience tells me that this BMD scheme is a classic Everton ownership stunt. Are they serious about it? Yes. But only if they get the stadium paid for and built with other people's cash. It's a methodology that's led to failure after failure and it will do so again.

Last edited:
I do have the concern that we wouldn't have had so many consultations if funding was in place. Not that I'm against the way the club have gone about getting public approval, it just seems more like a time-filling filling exercise above all else. Hope to be wrong of course.

Dave you know full well there was no funding in place for Kirkby, it was all a lie for Tesco's benefit.
Kirkby dome was rightly called in and we were never going to get it funded with penniless owners behind us. Before that we had the Kings Dock fiasco, if I remember wasn't that funding in place and ringfenced, chortle, cough, cough.
Tell me the charlatan behind them moves, yes its Bill and this time he has nothing to do with funding.
The land was donated by KBC; Tesco were getting Barr to build the stadium (I know); Everton were committed to finding £80M from sale of Goodison; Bellefield; naming rights etc.

They had PP and they had a financial plan that a LA and major retailer stood behind. What has BMD secured? F.A.