2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have certainly questioned Davies ability in the past but I also think justifiably. He was awful but the last few games has seen him playing really well. I hope this is not peak Davies and has got to have more room for improvement. Just don't dip below this level like last time and he will be OK

He's done really well since coming back into the team. What his performances show, is that progress is not really a linear process for many young footballers. You are seeing it a bit with Declan Rice this season, who is being found out a little bit and looks to lack a lot of confidence. 6 months ago people were talking about him being a potential pivotal player for either Manchester United or City.

There's little doubt a similar journey occurred for Davies. I do think a lot of this is down to opponents beginning to get scouting video's of said players and be able to analyse the flaws in the game. How you react to that, to opponents being better prepared for you is really the making or breaking of a young player. It has taken Tom a fair bit of time to me to get over this process and is now only beginning to show signs of coming out the other end.

Strangely yesterday I'm not sure he was as good with the ball in other games. His passing success rate was down in the 70's (low 70's) which isn't really where you would want it to be. However without the ball he was much better, he made nearly as many recoveries as Schneiderlin next to him.

This needs to be Davies's moment now. he's played 100+ games and now needs to deliver. He does some things very well which hint at a very good player in there. There was a moment in the first half, where he skipped past 2 players, slipped a ball into a forward, moved off the ball received it on the run and nearly slipped Richarlinson (I believe in). He did all of the hard work and it was frustrating he fell at the last hurdle. That's probably the other side of Davies, which sometimes a little lack of care is what's preventing him really kicking on, which I understand. However there aren't many players in our team who would have the vision allied to the dribbling ability to do the first 2 parts of the act.

So it's pleasing to see him doing so well. He's probably earn himself a run in the team. His big challenge now has to be to cement the shirt. Make himself undroppable. Add consistency to his game.

He is the only midfielder in our club who plays well partnering a nonexistent Schneiderlin. No easy feat if your consider how Gomes and Delph struggled alongside Schneiderlin in our earlier defeats.
Traits; Neither of Gomes and Delph are quick. Davies is, polar opposite of Schneiderlin, unlike Gomes and Delph.

Status
Not open for further replies.