2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davies has wonderful vision in picking a forward pass, and creates very well from midfield; however, due to his strong offensive intent he turns the ball over more frequently than our other midfield options. This cost/reward is beneficial for the team when he is supplemented with a mobile, and defensively focused midfielder such as Gana or Gbamin. Due to a lack of that player in the side at present; we are unable to compensate for his turnovers, and the cost/reward shifts to a place where it's not feasible to play Davies.

This is similar to the problem we have with Richarlison this season. He is very attack minded and this translates into high cost/reward when he attempts to take on defenders. When successful he scores goals frequently. When not successful we have a high number of turnovers and allow the opposition to break on the counter. With a Gana/Gbamin type player in the squad we compensate for the risk as we are frequently able to stop the counter and recycle possession back to our offensive players, and in turn create more chances.

I would anticipate Davies to feature more in a 4-3-3 when Gbamin returns from injury, and i would additionally look for Richarlison's effectiveness to improve.

With Gbamin's injury struggles I would be shocked if a similar mobile and defensively focused midfielder is not pursued in January.

That's what Schneids offers, but apparently he's a shoe-in to play week in week out.

So what's the difference?

I'd rather have Tom's energy and thoughts of attacking out there. It can't be any worse than what we've had to watch the last month or so
Thoughts of attacking, What thoughts?

He's awful.

Davies has wonderful vision in picking a forward pass, and creates very well from midfield; however, due to his strong offensive intent he turns the ball over more frequently than our other midfield options. This cost/reward is beneficial for the team when he is supplemented with a mobile, and defensively focused midfielder such as Gana or Gbamin. Due to a lack of that player in the side at present; we are unable to compensate for his turnovers, and the cost/reward shifts to a place where it's not feasible to play Davies.

This is similar to the problem we have with Richarlison this season. He is very attack minded and this translates into high cost/reward when he attempts to take on defenders. When successful he scores goals frequently. When not successful we have a high number of turnovers and allow the opposition to break on the counter. With a Gana/Gbamin type player in the squad we compensate for the risk as we are frequently able to stop the counter and recycle possession back to our offensive players, and in turn create more chances.

I would anticipate Davies to feature more in a 4-3-3 when Gbamin returns from injury, and i would additionally look for Richarlison's effectiveness to improve.

With Gbamin's injury struggles I would be shocked if a similar mobile and defensively focused midfielder is not pursued in January.
featuring Davis in a 4-3-3 guarantees we're leaving at least 2 quality attack-minded players on the bench. you're picking 3 forwards from Richy, Kean, DCL, Bernard, Iwobi, Gylfi

I can't possibly envision a lineup with 3 mediocre midfielders hogging 3 spots. then again, this is Everton

featuring Davis in a 4-3-3 guarantees we're leaving at least 2 quality attack-minded players on the bench. you're picking 3 forwards from Richy, Kean, DCL, Bernard, Iwobi, Gylfi

I can't possibly envision a lineup with 3 mediocre midfielders hogging 3 spots. then again, this is Everton

Attack minded players are irrelevant without midfielders to link possession and create chances.

Not sure Gnamin is quite the player you are describing, but I think Silva sees Davies the way you characterize him. He doesnt trust him to be anything but pushed higher up the field. And he's right, he's irresponsible with the ball.

Not sure Gnamin is quite the player you are describing, but I think Silva sees Davies the way you characterize him. He doesnt trust him to be anything but pushed higher up the field. And he's right, he's irresponsible with the ball.

I don't think Davies should be a shoe in to start in midfield by any stretch but the midfielders we have who are 'responsible' with the ball spend nearly all of their time going sideways and slowing our attacking play down - even more infuriating when you've got players like Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi who want to run at their opponents.

Davies is at least direct, yes he'll give the ball away more than Delph or Schneiderlin, but it's not like we've just dropped a few points with those guys in midfield and had a stumble here and there. We've lost four on the bounce and gone from being a win against Bournemouth away from being third to third bottom.

It's a risk to drop Davies in alongside Gomes/ Schneiderlin today but playing safe has got us nowhere these last few weeks. Dread to think what reaction Silva will get at the end of the game if he plays Gomes, Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson and we lose.

I don't think Davies should be a shoe in to start in midfield by any stretch but the midfielders we have who are 'responsible' with the ball spend nearly all of their time going sideways and slowing our attacking play down - even more infuriating when you've got players like Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi who want to run at their opponents.

Davies is at least direct, yes he'll give the ball away more than Delph or Schneiderlin, but it's not like we've just dropped a few points with those guys in midfield and had a stumble here and there. We've lost four on the bounce and gone from being a win against Bournemouth away from being third to third bottom.

It's a risk to drop Davies in alongside Gomes/ Schneiderlin today but playing safe has got us nowhere these last few weeks. Dread to think what reaction Silva will get at the end of the game if he plays Gomes, Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson and we lose.
But that is what they are being told to do though. None of our midfield are very good, id sell them all tomorrow if i could, but they are being told to pass the ball out to the fullback all the time. Its a tactical thing and nothing will change till the manager does.

If the rumours are true that he's starting today I wonder what his role will be? He played as the deeper CM for the England U21s this week.

Needs to be agressive, pick up a yellow, help the team with workrate while your confidence in touch is not high

Status
Not open for further replies.