Homepage Article Marco Silva “We dominated the game”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Villa were terrible mate, any team with movement would have battered them last night. I know Gomes was massively off the pace, but he’s positioned next to Schneiderlin all game, then there’s a massive void to the front 4. Villa just sat in that block; there was a period when he moved about 15 yards in front of him and we started to create space because it pulled their players out of the block

But that happened to late, it’s the same reason why we struggled to break palace down. His tactics are wrong for those types of games, he should give Gomes the freedom to roam further forward

It wasn’t a scrappy game, it was an awful performance by us

Unfortunately you need a player like Gueye, to give Gomes the freedom to roam, as he covers every blade of grass behind him.

Watching it last night, it looked like Gomes ( as badly as he played ) had been told not to advance too far forward, which I`m guessing is because Silva knows that Schneiderlin isn`t capable of doing Gueyes old roll.

We desperately need Delph to be fit, as with our current midfield we`re gonna get ripped to shreds by anyone with pace in their team.

Villa are no better than a Sean Dyche Burnley team and played in a similar fashion, fouling, going down all the time, hoofing the ball etc, but we looked exposed every time they counter attacked.

In saying that, if Co Co the clown Lewin would`ve scored that sitter, I`m pretty it would`ve been a different game.

Last edited:
"This is the side he's shaped"

Well it isnt is it:

Pickford
Keane
Coleman
Schneiderlin
Sigurdsson
DCL

= 6 players he hasnt signed.

Additionally the 3 players he said he wanted in the summer (DM/CM + RF + CB) werent signed.

Not really sure what youre on about tbh...and as for money spent its going to be breakeven by the end of the window.

Not hard really to see really is it? He shapes the tactics, picks the team (and continues to pick players out of form),and he has spent a lot of money no matter what anyone says, I don’t care what he’s recouped for selling dross.

Be great if a new manager could come in and get rid of everyone and start again, but this is real life not FIFA or Football Manager.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you need a player like Gueye, to give Gomes the freedom to roam, as he covers every blade of grass behind him.

Watching it last night, it looks like Gomes ( as badly as he played ) had been told not to advance too far forward, which I`m guessing is because Silva knows that Schneiderlin isn`t capable of doing Gueyes old roll.

We desperately need Delph to be fit, as with our current midfield we`re gonna get ripped to shreds by anyone with pace in their team.

Villa are no better than a Sean Dyche Burnley team and played in a similar fashion, fouling, going down all the time, hoofing the ball etc, but we looked exposed every time they counter attacked.

In saying that, if Co Co the clown Lewin would`ve scored that sitter, I`m pretty it would`ve been a different game.

....Gueye is certainly different gravy to Schneiderlin, but we don’t necessarily need a Gueye clone to play alongside Gomes. I’m sure Gbamin has been brought in because Silva/Brands want to play in a different way.

Schneiderlin isn’t a poor player (pass behind the back four in the 1st half was exquisite), he just has a poor attitude. Delph would’ve made a difference, I just hope he’s not a sick note.

Watching it last night, it looks like Gomes ( as badly as he played ) had been told not to advance too far forward, which I`m guessing is because Silva knows that Schneiderlin isn`t capable of doing Gueyes old roll.

Against a top side I’d agree with him being a bit worried leaving Schneiderlin alone, against villas and palaces I’d have hoped he’d be a bit more adventurous. They tried to bypass our midfield all game, hoofing it to Wesley. We could have easily ran away with that if we played further forward.

Playing that conservative against a dreadful side was an abhorrent approach, and the fact no changes were made at halftime really pissed me off.

But yeah Delph will hopefully help in that scenario, and praying to god I never see Eton Dom and the Icelandic myth anywhere near that starting lineup again.

....Gueye is certainly different gravy to Schneiderlin, but we don’t necessarily need a Gueye clone to play alongside Gomes. I’m sure Gbamin has been brought in because Silva/Brands want to play in a different way.

Schneiderlin isn’t a poor player (pass behind the back four in the 1st half was exquisite), he just has a poor attitude. Delph would’ve made a difference, I just hope he’s not a sick note.

With Gbamin seemingly being out for a while, to me it`s crucial that we get Delph on the pitch and we keep him fit.

We haven`t got a leader in the middle of the park and haven`t had one since Barry left and Deplh should bring that to the team.

If we have to persist with our current midfield we`re gonna struggle.

With Gbamin seemingly being out for a while, to me it`s crucial that we get Delph on the pitch and we keep him fit.

We haven`t got a leader in the middle of the park and haven`t had one since Barry left and Deplh should bring that to the team.

If we have to persist with our current midfield we`re gonna struggle.

...absolutely agree, Delph needs to come in to provide some much needed energy and attitude.

Worst thing a manger cam do after getting beat like that is come out and say we didn't deserve to get beat

We were awful, he should have said we were awful but could have gotten something if we took our chances

Honestly never take any notices of managers interviews after a game.

Ffs......this tread again. My 9 year old son said "when are you lot going to want your manager sacking this season?" to which my missus replied "2 games in". So predictable. So fickle. :coffee:

Watching it last night, it looked like Gomes ( as badly as he played ) had been told not to advance too far forward, which I`m guessing is because Silva knows that Schneiderlin isn`t capable of doing Gueyes old roll.

Spot on, Gomes was exposed by the tat around him.

One injury to this CM and we are utterly snookered.

I would hand Baningime all the chance in the world to get into the first team, because we are powder puff there now.

We had 1 shot on goal and lost two nil to a team that will probably be relegated you absolute clown. This isn’t the first time or even the second that this has happened in his tenure.

It is clear that the manager wants to play Man city style dominate possession and then the opposition will eventually fold, rather than the other main approach a la RS of move the ball forwards quickly and regularly accepting you may lose it half the time.

No issue with this, but last night shows it is far easier for a team without city level quality to adopt the latter approach than the former. If the team clicked it will be great, just not sure the 1 - 11 quality is there to do it, or the 4 2 3 1 lends itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.