Homepage Article Marco Silva “We dominated the game”

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't play great but we did more than enough to win that game, 2 guilt edge chances and hit the post, numerous other spurned opportunities. DCL wouldn't get a game at any other team in the league, Sig was his usual anonymous self, a number 10 who doesn't show for the ball and Gomes must be carrying that injury from the palace game to put out that performance but at least he didn't hide and always showed for the ball

It's not just that game, Watford hit the post and welbeck missed a sitter aswell.

The loss of gueye has been huge, the better teams will exploit that. How easily did villa get into the final third yesterday
Not very easily at all. They were sitting back and defending most of the night. Trying to play off the counter. That's what they do.

It could be against City, Liverpool and Spurs in a row for all I care. Don't "brag" about how you dominated a match when you had ONE shot on goal and have scored only 1 goal in 270 minutes of professional football.

I get your point, I just still don't get how a manager on the losing side can say "we didn't deserve it" with 1 shot on goal.
He's trying to make the performance sound better than it was. Martinez did it all of the time I am disappointed he would do that. That being said yes we could have scored three goals if the finishing was better but we lacked control of the midfield against Villa who are limited that's the worrying thing.

Or look at the posession + shots and wonder wtf the players were doing...

Dcl + iwobi + Walcott could have scored and we would have had 3 goals.

Its not the managers fault the players miss sitters.

Alot of chances missed after 3 games already.

You telling me it’s not the managers fault if DCL and Walcott miss sitters? Are you insane? Walcott has been missing sitters all last season as has domestos Calvert-lewin. He picked Walcott for about 3 months straight last year despite him being dog turd and has decided to make domestos the. Umber 9 and pick him and play a system that results in no goals for our main striker in nearly half a season of football of him starting games. I get it if siggy misses a pen , richy fluffs a one on one etc and Silva cannot be held responsible but picking two players that have the record them to have of missing sitters and saying there’s nothing he can do about it is wrong, he can not pick them

It just seeemed to me like an away game which we were on top on but one of those games where we need to grind out a result.

Every top side has them

We offered up the same dirge against Palace and Watford though. And there’s a case to be made that we were fortunate to get 4 points out of them.

The performance last night warranted a defeat. Silva got it all wrong for me and i’ve no idea what he’s talking about.

No idea why Kean isn’t starting. No idea why DCL is anywhere near that starting line up. I’d genuinely rather start Tosun.

It just seeemed to me like an away game which we were on top on but one of those games where we need to grind out a result.

Every top side has them and comes away with a draw or a win, Chelsea under Mourinho.

What we lacked i thought was all in midfield, Schneiderlin / Gylfi / Gomes were all terrible.

If DCL/Iwobi/Walcott had scored 1 goal then i think we would have gone on to win but it was a scrappy game and we couldnt do it.

Villa were terrible mate, any team with movement would have battered them last night. I know Gomes was massively off the pace, but he’s positioned next to Schneiderlin all game, then there’s a massive void to the front 4. Villa just sat in that block; there was a period when he moved about 15 yards in front of him and we started to create space because it pulled their players out of the block

But that happened to late, it’s the same reason why we struggled to break palace down. His tactics are wrong for those types of games, he should give Gomes the freedom to roam further forward

It wasn’t a scrappy game, it was an awful performance by us

We have this weird aversion to playing a ball into the box. Seems we have to wait for them to get everyone back before we play it in.

Was he watching a different game?

Faffing around passing slowly between the back 4 and two DMs for 90% of the game isnt dominating.

At least we won the possession eh?

All those sideways and backwards passes between the centre half’s and midfield will add up come the end of the season.

No excuses for him this season, this is the side he’s shaped. If he hasn’t improved on last years performance in the league and cups with the money spent, he should go.

You telling me it’s not the managers fault if DCL and Walcott miss sitters? Are you insane? Walcott has been missing sitters all last season as has domestos Calvert-lewin. He picked Walcott for about 3 months straight last year despite him being dog turd and has decided to make domestos the. Umber 9 and pick him and play a system that results in no goals for our main striker in nearly half a season of football of him starting games. I get it if siggy misses a pen , richy fluffs a one on one etc and Silva cannot be held responsible but picking two players that have the record them to have of missing sitters and saying there’s nothing he can do about it is wrong, he can not pick them

DCL or Tosun who is too static and would have easily been handled by Mings.

An off form / tired Richarlison or Walcott who adds pace?

Not sure what other options Silva could have used seeing as both Kean and Iwobi are lacking match fitness...

We offered up the same dirge against Palace and Watford though. And there’s a case to be made that we were fortunate to get 4 points out of them.

The performance last night warranted a defeat. Silva got it all wrong for me and i’ve no idea what he’s talking about.

No idea why Kean isn’t starting. No idea why DCL is anywhere near that starting line up. I’d genuinely rather start Tosun.

Kean isnt fully fit...he looked shattered after comimg on as a sub vs Watford so its unlilely he would last more than 30mins against Villa.

DCL at least gave their defenders something to think about with his movement and knockdowns while Tosun is just a lamppost and really we should be trying to find a buyer for him.

Villa were terrible mate, any team with movement would have battered them last night. I know Gomes was massively off the pace, but he’s positioned next to Schneiderlin all game, then there’s a massive void to the front 4. Villa just sat in that block; there was a period when he moved about 15 yards in front of him and we started to create space because it pulled their players out of the block

But that happened to late, it’s the same reason why we struggled to break palace down. His tactics are wrong for those types of games, he should give Gomes the freedom to roam further forward

It wasn’t a scrappy game, it was an awful performance by us

I think the issue stems from the back. Neither Mina nor Keane are particularly fast on the turn so we need to sit deeper than last season...

Then of course Schneiderlin is just heartless and Gomes (as you mention) was just dreadful.

If we had more athleticism in Central Defence + Gbamin as Defensive Midfielder then we could have pushed far higher up the pitch...

By giving Gomes a license to roam forward weve then got Schneiderlin sitting and personally i think thats suicide.

There were 3 chances which we should have scored and thats taking into account that the starting 11 were all atrocious aside from Mina.

Personally id have taken a draw before the game...id take a draw for any away game in the league.

At least we won the possession eh?

All those sideways and backwards passes between the centre half’s and midfield will add up come the end of the season.

No excuses for him this season, this is the side he’s shaped. If he hasn’t improved on last years performance in the league and cups with the money spent, he should go.

"This is the side he's shaped"

Well it isnt is it:

Pickford
Keane
Coleman
Schneiderlin
Sigurdsson
DCL

= 6 players he hasnt signed.

Additionally the 3 players he said he wanted in the summer (DM/CM + RF + CB) werent signed.

Not really sure what youre on about tbh...and as for money spent its going to be breakeven by the end of the window.

Thing is Marco, after all the new faces, apparently better quality, we aren’t going any further forward.

We played decent for 20 mins and looked in control, but after that it just went back to the kind of performances we thought were behind us.

These new players better get fit sharpish and start making a difference, or this guy is toast.

I think the issue stems from the back. Neither Mina nor Keane are particularly fast on the turn so we need to sit deeper than last season...

Then of course Schneiderlin is just heartless and Gomes (as you mention) was just dreadful.

If we had more athleticism in Central Defence + Gbamin as Defensive Midfielder then we could have pushed far higher up the pitch...

By giving Gomes a license to roam forward weve then got Schneiderlin sitting and personally i think thats suicide.

There were 3 chances which we should have scored and thats taking into account that the starting 11 were all atrocious aside from Mina.

Personally id have taken a draw before the game...id take a draw for any away game in the league.

But Zat it’s been the same from the start of the season, and in times last season. The play is predictable and he needs to address it.

You can park buses in the gaps between defence and midfield, and midfield and attack. Teams are just sitting in those holes, all the play goes out wide and we get swamped. We’ve created next to nothing in 3 games

I wouldn’t have taken a draw because they’re an awful side, we should be putting that to bed 2/3-0 easily.

But our chronic lack of off the ball movement is killing us, we lack serious options going forward because of the setup

Status
Not open for further replies.