2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a look at some of his highlights to try and get my head around this one and I was actually quite surprised. I clearly incorrectly assume wingers that like drag-backs and stepovers are one trick ponies with little else to their game. It seems Iwobi's wider game (link-up play, hold-up, passing, through balls etc) is actually a clear strength of his.
Yep. It's why the people comparing him to Bolasie need to have a real look at themselves.

Iwobi
It's Alex Iwobi
He's come from Arsenal
To score some blammo-oooos

To the tune of Akon - Lonely

This one is going to be sung around the world

The last line in song has 4 syllables so 'to score blammos' would have sufficed.

ps I hate that tune.

Iwobi
It's Alex Iwobi
He's come from Arsenal
To score some blammo-oooos

To the tune of Akon - Lonely

This one is going to be sung around the world

... also second line has only five too so just 'Alex Iwobi' would have fitted.

Plus that song is cancer and I don't know why I made it sound actually like the tune for you.

What realistically is the best we can hope for in terms of output from Iwobi ?
It's been pointed out repeatedly on here over the last day or so that he was Arsenal's most creative player last season. What has been overlooked so far is that Arsenal created more chances in total over the season than we did, by some margin.

He's a potentially very good signing. Like with all new transfers, time will tell... but there is scope for this chap to hit the ground running because he's no stranger to the prem and he's no stranger to the pressure of an expectant fanbase. I would hope that he will be effective enough that either:

a) He just replaces Walcott in the lineup; or
b) he is good enough on the left that Richarlison moves over to the right and Walcott drops out of the starting eleven.

He's at just the right age that he MIGHT just have a breakthrough season, and with Richarlison, Moise and Bernard in advanced positions with him, and Gylfi and Gomes keeping up a decent supply of quality balls, we might just see something that is greater than the sum of its parts.

All I know for certain is that I have two in-laws who are Gooners; when we paid them £20m for Walcott they both pissed themselves laughing - and time has proven them right. They aren't laughing at the moment.

What realistically is the best we can hope for in terms of output from Iwobi ?
Decent passing

Step overs

Erratic decision making

Poor finishing

Basically Bernard but for £28 million.
This is not the best we can expect from him. I think the minimum is he gives us most of what Bernard gives us but with slightly less pressing. Although he adds the ability to dribble from deep into the attacking third and to pass the ball into the box.

The best is he does all that but adds more consistency to his creative play in the final third and maybe scores a few more. I'm not sure where this myth that Iwobi is one of those players that does a bunch of tricks and not much else has come from but it is actually a myth. He does do some tricks, It is not all he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.