• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.8%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,264 92.2%

• Total voters
nicely swerved.

for the record we have never been further away from the top

lets all laud Moshri though
I didn't swerve anything, the post of yours that I initially replied to was about Everton being ''further away from the the top six than ever''. I went on to make a mockery of that point, tbf to you, you realised that and quickly changed the goal posts, but unfortunately for you, you have again made a mess of it, as this season ( Although this is semantics) we finished closer to the top, than we did the last as we got more points this season than last and City (who won the league both times) did the opposite.

I completely disagree. We should be falling further away as the top 6 have manipulated the European money using the system THEY put in place to ensure THEY kept it all however we’re not. We’re improving at a rapid rate and last season showed a change is imminent.

Some of this top 6 are as poor as I’ve ever seen them with lots of question marks over them whilst we proved last year we can compete in one off games with many of our performances, particularly those against Liverpool.

As the season went on and Marco got his ideas across the consistency came and we comfortably had top 4 form schooling some of these top 6 sides you talk about us going further away from like I haven’t seen for a long time.

This year has proven things can change in an instant as 2nd places Man United fell off the edge of a cliff finishing 6th, whilst Liverpool who claimed 4th place on the last day of the season took over them.

I expect the squad that finished last year, if Zouma is added to put in a proper top 4 challenge anyway without any additions. The fact that we’ve got Brands and Silva spending Mr Moshri’s money as well means I’m really seeing big things coming our way in the future even if you can’t. You won’t be able to ignore it soon though even with those blinkers that you are wearing on.

We’re in very safe hands now with Moshri, Brands and Silva. We’re very lucky to have them.

Spot on mate, don't forget also, our signings needed bedding in, quite a few of them had no pre season to speak of and only got their true match fitness in the new year. We will need a few more quality additions, including a striker before were ready to challenge for a top four place I think. But the encouraging thing the top six hasn't looked as weak in years, only City and Liverpool look stronger.

We are where we are because of a combination of luck and choices(good and bad). If you look back at the last 40 years or so you will see that other clubs are where they are due to the same reason. Villa,Leeds,Newcastle,Sunderland and West Ham are examples of poor choices in owners and investments. Chelsea,Arsenal and Spurs are successful because of the luck of being in the capital and good choices of ownership. Man City are also lucky due to ownership. Man Utd and Liverpool are successful because of good choices as managers . We on the other hand were unlucky after Heysel robbed us of European football and after that making poor choices in ownership and managers(except for Royle and Moyes).
We now have an owner who may prove to be the right choice,only time will tell.
What has happened in the last 40 years or so is now history,we can’t change it and to be honest there’s no point whinging about it. Just enjoy remembering our highs in that time.

absolutely nailed it here dave to be fair.

you either have to splash the cash MASSIVELY … or try and play catch up when it is impossible to do so , being so so so so far back commercially.

we are worlds apart in global reach and fan base.

with Moshiri doing what hes doing we are literally paddling to stay afloat, just like under kenwright and aren't even best of the rest anymore...

theres is ZERO difference, STILL got kitbag deal, shirt deal isn't much better than the chang deal under kenwright, yes we have 'USM FF' but that is pennies, we need a huge sway in commercial deals, which don't seem to be happening.

unless Usmanov comes in and just blows the whole thing up , like city and Chelsea did
Bet you’d love to nail Dave to be fair

I completely disagree. We should be falling further away as the top 6 have manipulated the European money using the system THEY put in place to ensure THEY kept it all however we’re not. We’re improving at a rapid rate and last season showed a change is imminent.

Some of this top 6 are as poor as I’ve ever seen them with lots of question marks over them whilst we proved last year we can compete in one off games with many of our performances, particularly those against Liverpool.

As the season went on and Marco got his ideas across the consistency came and we comfortably had top 4 form schooling some of these top 6 sides you talk about us going further away from like I haven’t seen for a long time.

This year has proven things can change in an instant as 2nd places Man United fell off the edge of a cliff finishing 6th, whilst Liverpool who claimed 4th place on the last day of the season took over them.

I expect the squad that finished last year, if Zouma is added to put in a proper top 4 challenge anyway without any additions. The fact that we’ve got Brands and Silva spending Mr Moshri’s money as well means I’m really seeing big things coming our way in the future even if you can’t. You won’t be able to ignore it soon though even with those blinkers that you are wearing on.

We’re in very safe hands now with Moshri, Brands and Silva. We’re very lucky to have them.
Boris my man I think in you we have finally found someone who actually talks sense rather then some tripe about how crap the club is run from top to bottom.

I couldn’t agree more I think the time is close. Yes the teams around us like your wolves, West Ham etc are improving but we already have the foundations as you pointed out in place. If we carry our end of season form into the start of next season with brands working his magic to get some superstars in the making signed up we actually stand a really good chance of breaking the ceiling. Which again as you pointed out could be possible without signing anyone and keeping the team together.

For a change actually going into the season rather optimistic and full of hope. I know people will shoot this down because well it’s an Everton thing to do but I’m sure as hell if it pans out with us breaking the ceiling those shooters wouldn’t come back and apologise ;);)

We are where we are because of a combination of luck and choices(good and bad). If you look back at the last 40 years or so you will see that other clubs are where they are due to the same reason. Villa,Leeds,Newcastle,Sunderland and West Ham are examples of poor choices in owners and investments. Chelsea,Arsenal and Spurs are successful because of the luck of being in the capital and good choices of ownership. Man City are also lucky due to ownership. Man Utd and Liverpool are successful because of good choices as managers . We on the other hand were unlucky after Heysel robbed us of European football and after that making poor choices in ownership and managers(except for Royle and Moyes).
We now have an owner who may prove to be the right choice,only time will tell.
What has happened in the last 40 years or so is now history,we can’t change it and to be honest there’s no point whinging about it. Just enjoy remembering our highs in that time.
An to think the city owners were trying to buy us first so again more bad luck.

That's not how revenue works.

Nobody said it was. But revenue clearly impacts on profit/loss, so if a profit/loss calculation is made the day before you receive a 120 million pound cheque, then the profit/loss calculation is going to be different than if the calculation was made the day after receiving a 120 million pound cheque.

The latter calculation would be factoring in an additional 120 million pounds of revenue to the former calculation.

No?

Nobody said it was. But revenue clearly impacts on profit/loss, so if a profit/loss calculation is made the day before you receive a 120 million pound cheque, then the profit/loss calculation is going to be different than if the calculation was made the day after receiving a 120 million pound cheque.

The latter calculation would be factoring in an additional 120 million pounds of revenue to the former calculation.

No?
The 120 is for an entire year. You would recognize it only in the period you would earn it as revenue. Doesn't matter when you get the cash.

The 120 is for an entire year. You would recognize it only in the period you would earn it as revenue. Doesn't matter when you get the cash.

It does matter if people are having a panic attack about a calculation indicating a 50 million pound loss the day before you receive 120 million pound in the bank.

How do overdrafts effect these calculations?

Because if you have a £50,000 annual salary, and you spend £5000 more than your yearly income, you could say that you have made an annual loss of £5000. But if you have an overdraft of £10000, and you aren't going to lose your job, then there's absolutely no need to have a panic attack.

It does matter if people are having a panic attack about a calculation indicating a 50 million pound loss the day before you receive 120 million pound in the bank.

How do overdrafts effect these calculations?

Because if you have a £50,000 annual salary, and you spend £5000 more than your yearly income, you could say that you have made an annual loss of £5000. But if you have an overdraft of £10000, and you aren't going to lose your job, then there's absolutely no need to have a panic attack.

Google the matching principle in relation to accounting.

Well you fell at the first fence there - seeing as Moshiri isn't a businessman.

And I'm happy for you to be able to read a financial statement and not see the wood for the trees. We have our largest ever debt in the club's history. We have a terrible commercial department that offers no scope to significantly reduce that debt; we have a majority owner looking to add another minimum of half a billion pound sterling to the £350M debt the club already carries in order to add value to his investment here.

You *know* how businessmen work, I know how carpet baggers work. You have a cavalier approach to debt and the long term security of Everton; I have a cautious approach that senses danger from an outsider looking to make a massive profit from Everton by stretching the club's ability to stay sovent in any unforseen event...Maybe that's because I support just Everton and dont have the Pittsburgh Steelers to fall back on?
Well, at the risk of answering someone asking for directions by telling them "I wouldn't start from here", I have to say that my problem with Moshiri is the same as it has been from day one: he's not the owner we require. He never had the wherewithal for the transformation we required. That's meant we've seen a lot of hype surrounding his buying up of debt. The owner we need is someone who has limitless amounts of cash to invest; wiping out debt, pumping hundreds of millions into the squad, and funding a stadium development. What we actually got was a bare upgrade from what went before. The dial hasn't been shifted. We're still operating on a wing and a prayer still.

Once this stadium scheme ends up like all the others - in the bin - we'll be looking for a new owner.
Spending that outstripped the rest....we dont do that now.

Well, at the risk of answering someone asking for directions by telling them "I wouldn't start from here", I have to say that my problem with Moshiri is the same as it has been from day one: he's not the owner we require. He never had the wherewithal for the transformation we required. That's meant we've seen a lot of hype surrounding his buying up of debt. The owner we need is someone who has limitless amounts of cash to invest; wiping out debt, pumping hundreds of millions into the squad, and funding a stadium development. What we actually got was a bare upgrade from what went before. The dial hasn't been shifted. We're still operating on a wing and a prayer still.

Once this stadium scheme ends up like all the others - in the bin - we'll be looking for a new owner.

You see this is where I don't get your arguments.

On the one hand refer to Moshiri as building up debt which the club will fallback on being a bad thing.

Then you say he's the wrong owner because his spending doesn't outstrip everyone else. Something which would result in a huge debt being owed to moshiri by the club.

Help me out here. Tell me how he could be the transformational owner you crave without building up a debt owed by the club. All at the same time as being compliant with FFP.

You see @davek this is where I don't get your arguments.

On the one hand refer to Moshiri as building up debt which the club will fallback on being a bad thing.

Then you say he's the wrong owner because his spending doesn't outstrip everyone else. Something which would result in a huge debt being owed to moshiri by the club.

Help me out here. Tell me how he could be the transformational owner you crave without building up a debt owed by the club. All at the same time as being compliant with FFP.

Dont be bloody stupid, why would you expect Dave to explain his baseless rubbish?

He wont be answering this question.