1995-2020 = the longest barren spell without silverware in Everton's history

Status
Not open for further replies.
We better go all out to win a pot next season.Another Southampton or Millwall debacle, will not be acceptable.Trying to gate crash that top six will be difficult.But there's no reason, why we can't achieve success in the cups.Less of the excuses and bs, and just make it happen.We have gone soft as a club, over the course of the past 24 years.Way too soft.Moyes for example did a lot of good for us.But when a man who won nothing with us, gets a standing ovation in his final game, after agreeing to join a rival behind our backs.That moment for me, kind of summed up our fall from grace, and the low expectations that infected the club like a virus.

Last edited:
We better go all out to win a pot next season.Another Southampton or Millwall debacle, will not be acceptable.Trying to gate crash that top six will be difficult.But there's no reason, why we can't achieve success in the cups.Less of the excuses and bs, and just make it happen.We have gone soft as a club, over the course of the past 24 years.Way too soft.Moyes for example did a lot of good for us.But when a man who won nothing with us, gets a standing ovation in his final game, after agreeing to join a rival behind our backs.That moment for me, kind of summed up our fall from grace, and the low expectations that infected the club like a virus.

What about if we draw Man City away?

Where does time go!? I heard an interview with Bobby Brownshoes a few months back where he basically said his last couple of seasons were about trying to win a trophy. It doesn't excuse the abject league campaigns in this period (and I wanted him gone like everyone else), but I think he was the last manager to understand what we needed.

We would all have taken 11th and one of the cups or the Europa League, but he couldn't quite deliver. The Man City semi final is the annoying one as we were in the driving seat in that one. And in hindsight, were those league campaigns any worse than the last two we have witnessed?

What's my point? Roberto got us a record points tally and we still couldn't break the top 4 due to the competitiveness of the league. He got to two cup semi finals and a Europa last 16. He admitted he was focused on a trophy rather than the league position. Was he right to think like this in hindsight?

Back in 95 we were in relegation trouble for most of the season, but we fondly remember it for winning a trophy. The next season we were awesome in the league and finished 5th or 6th from memory. Success bred (relative) success, and with any sort of money to spend we could have re-established ourselves.

Should we not just say to Marco and the players that the League Cup is our target this season? What do we realistically think we are going to achieve in the league? As long as we aren't in any relegation trouble, 16th and a trophy would be more successful than 8th and a load of false hope that we can break the top 4. Let's get that first trophy and build from there.

Oh and to end on some small crumbs of comfort, at least our point against the RS at Goodison stopped them doing the league and CL double. It is also only 1 year longer than them (87 vs 88) since we last won the league. They are (what we need to be) a cup team.

Only crumbs.... but we will have our time again..

Here's to winning the Carabao Cup in 2020..

Again building a stadium on the docks isnt just somebody going to B&Q and buying a few screws.

"The carpetbagger" doesnt make a single penny profit unless a spade at least goes into the ground.

Hes almost 400m out of pocket so far, he aint selling us for anything above that unless we have something more.

I agree he really needs at least planning permission before he looks to sell.

There be a long stop date on this investment though, if he can’t get planning I think he will look to move on

Where does time go!? I heard an interview with Bobby Brownshoes a few months back where he basically said his last couple of seasons were about trying to win a trophy. It doesn't excuse the abject league campaigns in this period (and I wanted him gone like everyone else), but I think he was the last manager to understand what we needed.

We would all have taken 11th and one of the cups or the Europa League, but he couldn't quite deliver. The Man City semi final is the annoying one as we were in the driving seat in that one. And in hindsight, were those league campaigns any worse than the last two we have witnessed?

What's my point? Roberto got us a record points tally and we still couldn't break the top 4 due to the competitiveness of the league. He got to two cup semi finals and a Europa last 16. He admitted he was focused on a trophy rather than the league position. Was he right to think like this in hindsight?

Back in 95 we were in relegation trouble for most of the season, but we fondly remember it for winning a trophy. The next season we were awesome in the league and finished 5th or 6th from memory. Success bred (relative) success, and with any sort of money to spend we could have re-established ourselves.

Should we not just say to Marco and the players that the League Cup is our target this season? What do we realistically think we are going to achieve in the league? As long as we aren't in any relegation trouble, 16th and a trophy would be more successful than 8th and a load of false hope that we can break the top 4. Let's get that first trophy and build from there.

Oh and to end on some small crumbs of comfort, at least our point against the RS at Goodison stopped them doing the league and CL double. It is also only 1 year longer than them (87 vs 88) since we last won the league. They are (what we need to be) a cup team.

Only crumbs.... but we will have our time again..

Here's to winning the Carabao Cup in 2020..

If the players can´t have a sustained league campaign with a cup run involved then there is something seriously wrong. Martinez struggled in his second season and completely lost the plot by his third. It was less to do with prioritising the cups and more to do with inept management.

The difference as far as I can see is the fans, when Liverpool are not performing well the fans get right behind them and give the team a lift and they get through it.. when we are not preforming well we moan and boo and the players respond in a negative way.. I've seen Everton fans having a laugh at Liverpool fans for the banners they've made and call it kopite behavior and embarrassing... well they have just won the champions league and we are here discussing a record drought for silverware.. tell me which is embarrassing.
While there's much truth to what you say. There's a reason they're able to get behind the players so forcefully without question. Its not like they've ever had to go a truly long period of utter misery is it? What is a bad season for the RS? Finishing 8th and knowing full well that in one single transfer window things will of 100% improved. Kin' hell, we finish 8th and people at the club are smugly congratulating themselves on a job well done as though it was some sort of achievement!

Our fans moan and boo because we've been ground down by years of failure and misery from the club thats offered little to noting to be positive about. Does that make the booing and lack of atmosphere at Goodison right? No, not at all and it sure as hell doesn't help the situation but it didn't become that way by magic.

I'll tell you one thing that the RS would do if they had to endure a couple of seasons as grim as we've had to live with for going on thirty years. They'd of taken to the streets around Klanfield every chance they got and forced out the parasites involved in their club. If anyone tried that here, they'd be met by tuts of disapproval and sneers of "kopite behaviour that" from everyone involved in the club, from loads of our fans to the smug, self-satsified little cabal who run us.

In my opinion (and I could be badly wrong), I don't think Moshiri is in this just to sell on the club for a profit. I genuinely think he wants the club to be successful, based on the little I know about him.

In my opinion (and I could be badly wrong), I don't think Moshiri is in this just to sell on the club for a profit. I genuinely think he wants the club to be successful, based on the little I know about him.

Words are one thing.

Keeping Bill Kenwright on as chairman, appointing Baxendale to CEO and bringing the biggest myth in football Keith Harris says to me he’s here for one thing and one thing only.

He only has to create an illusion of ambition but certain people / ex players have seen through it.

Lukaku being the most vocal about it if you want to read his comments from around March 2017.

I do myself and feel we need some solidarity to get behind Moshiri, Brands and Silva. We showed good signs towards the end of the season and I liked the cut of our signings last season as well. We need more signings of that calibre and better, onwards and upwards blues.

Words are one thing.

Keeping Bill Kenwright on as chairman, appointing Baxendale to CEO and bringing the biggest myth in football Keith Harris says to me he’s here for one thing and one thing only.

He only has to create an illusion of ambition but certain people / ex players have seen through it.

Lukaku being the most vocal about it if you want to read his comments from around March 2017.

Lukaku's a bell and I would'nt believe anything he says personally. Keeping Kenwright on, knowing Kenwright, could well have been a condition set at the outset. I was against DBB being appointed but plenty on here thought it was a good appointment. I've no idea what her performance has been like up to now. I know nothing about Harris TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.