Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago someone on here posted a list of the players he brought in when he was at Leicester.

For every Vardy / Mahrez, there was at least 3 expensive duds, that either flopped big time or were sold at a massive loss.

A while ago someone on here posted a list of the players he brought in when he was at Leicester.

For every Vardy / Mahrez, there was at least 3 expensive duds, that either flopped big time or were sold at a massive loss.

Honestly mate, if you do that for most managers, it is madly similar. Didn't Van Nistelrooy sign in the same season as Veron (who was a brilliant player but didn't do it here at all)? Moyes here had all manner of duds, like Beattie and Kroldrup.

Seems to be a 30% success rate for most.

Gueye is the only one who the club could hope to make a profit on, and even that is partly because he was bought by activating a relegation release clause.

Sigurdsson has contributed well, but anyone who follows the Premier League through MotD or YouTube highlights could have suggested buying him.

The punts on kids are irrelevant, since every club goes down that route, but the rest are players that a competent director of football would never sanction at anything close to those prices, if at all.

He played well in two games a season when he was at Palace :

Everton - home.
Everton - away.

I think that's why we bought Kone as well.

He had scored 12 goals in 133 games for Crystal Palace. He had gone two years without scoring a goal away from home I believe.

No, it's not harsh. The evidence was right there for anyone competent to see. There was literally nothing to suggest he was worth £15m, let alone double that.
He was always a bit crap though, he only really had good games against us and Liverpool and it was clear as day to everyone before we signed him

It's a fair cop.

It was all off the back of that stupid run with the Welsh national team in which they had a nice draw that suited them and their players were made out by our wonderful gutter press to look like world beaters.

Which would be fine if someone who watches Match of the Day and plays FIFA rated him, but Walsh was paid thousands to actually be competent at his job and actually buy these players.

Isn't it a bit harsh to judge Bolasie given he suffered a major injury early on in his spell with us? He may not have blown us away without it, but it has clearly affected him.

Jonathon Walters had more goals and assists than Bolasie did the season before he joined us. What would you be saying if we spent that much money on Walters.

Honestly mate, if you do that for most managers, it is madly similar. Didn't Van Nistelrooy sign in the same season as Veron (who was a brilliant player but didn't do it here at all)? Moyes here had all manner of duds, like Beattie and Kroldrup.

Seems to be a 30% success rate for most.

I agree to a point, but Moyes, for all his faults had such a limited budget ( most of the time ), that he knew he had to get it right as there was no more money for him.

He seemed much better at finding " budget " players who`d lost their way - Arteta, Pienaar.

I agree that he didn`t seem as good signing bigger money players like Koldrup / Beattie.

In saying that I wouldn`t have trusted Moyes with a blank cheque book same as Walsh.

Rooney clearly wasn't washed up. Top scorer and now doing well in the US.

10 goals for us? 3 of which were against West ham, 2 were pens (1 rebounded, 1 pen scored) and obviously the marvellous half way goal.

Is he really doing well in MLS though? He is doing okay, nothing like you'd expect a big name to do... I watched DC United play someone a couple of nights ago and he constantly gave the ball away with bad passing or awful ball control. Amount of times his legs clearly couldn't move as quick as his brain was wanting to. I saw the exact same player that played for us. What was it, 10 goals for us of which 4/5/6 pens including the rebounded one against WHU.

6 goals in 12 this season for DC which on paper is okay but when you break it down...

1 v columbus crew (free kick)
1 v Columbus Crew (penalty)
1 v Orlando (Crossed free kick that looped over the keeper and in)
3 v RSL ( RSL down to 9 men by 90mins, 1 was a pen, 1 was big gk/defender error and 1 was a tap in).

-

He's had the same issues as hes had with us in a slower, lesser quality league. Too slow on the ball, trying to do the right things but not having the legs to do so. We saw that over and over and over again last season. He was a poor signing for us. United fans saw that before we signed him and said so, just like we said about Lukaku's first touch not being good enough for a striker of United. He was finished when we signed him.

Now to be fair to Walsh, had Kenwright all over it along with part of the lukaku deal. I had no issue giving it a go, but also pleased we cut ties fairly quickly as well as he was a huge waste of money at 150k+ a week for 4/5 goals from open play.

Personally think Koeman was responsible for a lot of the big money buys.

Word is he and Walsh had a very poor working relationship and Koeman wouldn't always thought he knew best. Came to a head in one January when Walsh had Belfodil lined up for 7mil but Koeman vetoed the signing. He's now one of the top scorers in Germany.

Walsh also wanted Zapata in to replace Lukaku, but Koeman wanted Giroud.

Koeman also fell out with the board at Southampton over signing Sadio Mane as he didn't want him as well.

I find it very hard to believe Walsh was recommending players like Bolasie and Kalssen going off his work for Leicester.

He's a very good scout, just not a director of football.

I mean there were some decent signings there like, Gana obviously being the main one, but the standout 'bad' ones like Klaassen and Sandro are, ultimately, what he'll forever be judged on. Bringing Rooney back to the club when he did was also questionable if you ask me, despite the fact that he did ok last season but was ultimately a bit of a 'heart over head' kind of signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.