• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The proof Marco Silva's Everton have well and truly left Sam Allardyce era behind
Everton finish eighth for second consecutive season but Silva has given Blues new identity and improvement in all areas
A strong display and a 2-2 draw away at Champions League finalists Tottenham Hotspur saw Everton finish their season on a high note.
That result ensured the Toffees equalled the same eighth place finish they secured last season under short-term boss Sam Allardyce.
After his arrival in the summer, it was a bright start to life at Goodison Park for Marco Silva, with his side sitting inside the top-six heading into December. Yet defeat in the Merseyside derby in December sparked a difficult period midway through the campaign which saw the Blues win just three of their following 14 league matches.
After a 17-day break in February, Everton rallied and lost just two of their final 11 league matches - five of which came against top six sides.

This great run of form saw Silva’s side make a late push towards seventh and a potential European spot. Unfortunately, they fell just short behind Wolves and were forced to settle for a repeat of last season’s positioning.
Although there was no progression in terms of their league standing, they picked up five more points in the league and there was plenty of improvement in Everton’s underlying numbers to suggest fans should be optimistic for the seasons ahead under their Portuguese manager.

Everton's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19

Everton showed a lot more attacking intent this season which was illustrated by the fact they scored 54 league goals - 10 more than they managed last season.
They also conceded just 44 league goals, that ranks them joint-fifth in the division with Wolves. This contributed to their goal difference being a huge +22 goals better off this term compared to the last.
There was also a noticeable increase in Everton’s ball possession average, from 46.5% to 51.1% and indeed their number of passes.

This is as a direct result of Silva’s willingness to try and dominate possession of the ball and be the commanding side in matches as often as possible - a blueprint of all top teams.
Everton’s increase in attacking intent is further reiterated by the number of shots and crosses they have had this season. Guided under Allardyce for the bulk of a turbulent campaign last year, Everton ranked 19th and 20th in terms of shots on goal and crosses into the box.
This season the Blues rank 9th for the number of shots on goal and fifth for the number of crosses into the box.
Everton's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman

Ranking inside the top five in this department isn’t a surprise given the level of quality Everton now possess within the flank positions. Both Lucas Digne and Seamus Coleman have proven two key attacking outlets for the Blues this season, with the like of Bernard and Richarlison also proving a threat in these areas.
Whilst not as robust in defence as Silva would have liked - particularly from set-pieces in which Everton have conceded a Premier League high 16 goals - as alluded to earlier, they boast a better defensive record than Allardyce’s Everton and possess better underlying numbers too.

The Blues allowed the opposition 524 shots on their goal last season which ranked an underwhelming 15th in the league. However this season, thanks to largely improved and settle centre-back pairing of Kurt Zouma and Michael Keane, they allowed just 363 which ranks them 4th overall in the division.
Another striking factor in Silva’s philosophy is illustrated in Everton’s Passes Per Defensive Action (PPDA) average this season. PPDA focuses on how many passes a team allows before pressing to regain the ball.
Kurt Zouma of Everton celebrates

A team who has a lower number of PPDA deploys an aggressive press, looking to regain possession as quickly as possible high up the pitch.
Everton rank joint-second this season behind only Manchester City with a PPDA average of 9.26, this further illustrates Silva’s want for his side to press and regain possession as soon as possible and thereafter dominant on the ball.
Their proficiency in this department has also brought success against some of the better sides in the league - of the top-six, only City have defeated Everton since the turn of the year. This was because against these top ball playing teams, Everton have preferred to relinquish possession of the ball, remain in an organised block, looking to force the opposition into mistakes through their strong pressing ability high up the pitch.
Overall, Everton now rank inside the top-ten in the division in each of those eight specific key departments on the pitch, whereas last season they ranked inside the bottom ten in six of those eight areas.

There is no doubt Silva has done a great job of bestowing his own identity on this Everton side and implementing plenty of improvement’s across the pitch.
The Toffees have solidified themselves as a top-eight side and under the stewardship of Silva, if they can benefit from a strong summer in the transfer market, they stand a good chance of mounting a serious and sustained charge on the league's top-six next season.

One of the better Echo writers Dave Hughes and a proper knowledgeable blue

The proof Marco Silva's Everton have well and truly left Sam Allardyce era behind
Everton finish eighth for second consecutive season but Silva has given Blues new identity and improvement in all areas
A strong display and a 2-2 draw away at Champions League finalists Tottenham Hotspur saw Everton finish their season on a high note.
That result ensured the Toffees equalled the same eighth place finish they secured last season under short-term boss Sam Allardyce.
After his arrival in the summer, it was a bright start to life at Goodison Park for Marco Silva, with his side sitting inside the top-six heading into December. Yet defeat in the Merseyside derby in December sparked a difficult period midway through the campaign which saw the Blues win just three of their following 14 league matches.
After a 17-day break in February, Everton rallied and lost just two of their final 11 league matches - five of which came against top six sides.

This great run of form saw Silva’s side make a late push towards seventh and a potential European spot. Unfortunately, they fell just short behind Wolves and were forced to settle for a repeat of last season’s positioning.
Although there was no progression in terms of their league standing, they picked up five more points in the league and there was plenty of improvement in Everton’s underlying numbers to suggest fans should be optimistic for the seasons ahead under their Portuguese manager.

Everton's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19

Everton showed a lot more attacking intent this season which was illustrated by the fact they scored 54 league goals - 10 more than they managed last season.
They also conceded just 44 league goals, that ranks them joint-fifth in the division with Wolves. This contributed to their goal difference being a huge +22 goals better off this term compared to the last.
There was also a noticeable increase in Everton’s ball possession average, from 46.5% to 51.1% and indeed their number of passes.

This is as a direct result of Silva’s willingness to try and dominate possession of the ball and be the commanding side in matches as often as possible - a blueprint of all top teams.
Everton’s increase in attacking intent is further reiterated by the number of shots and crosses they have had this season. Guided under Allardyce for the bulk of a turbulent campaign last year, Everton ranked 19th and 20th in terms of shots on goal and crosses into the box.
This season the Blues rank 9th for the number of shots on goal and fifth for the number of crosses into the box.
Everton's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman

Ranking inside the top five in this department isn’t a surprise given the level of quality Everton now possess within the flank positions. Both Lucas Digne and Seamus Coleman have proven two key attacking outlets for the Blues this season, with the like of Bernard and Richarlison also proving a threat in these areas.
Whilst not as robust in defence as Silva would have liked - particularly from set-pieces in which Everton have conceded a Premier League high 16 goals - as alluded to earlier, they boast a better defensive record than Allardyce’s Everton and possess better underlying numbers too.

The Blues allowed the opposition 524 shots on their goal last season which ranked an underwhelming 15th in the league. However this season, thanks to largely improved and settle centre-back pairing of Kurt Zouma and Michael Keane, they allowed just 363 which ranks them 4th overall in the division.
Another striking factor in Silva’s philosophy is illustrated in Everton’s Passes Per Defensive Action (PPDA) average this season. PPDA focuses on how many passes a team allows before pressing to regain the ball.
Kurt Zouma of Everton celebrates

A team who has a lower number of PPDA deploys an aggressive press, looking to regain possession as quickly as possible high up the pitch.
Everton rank joint-second this season behind only Manchester City with a PPDA average of 9.26, this further illustrates Silva’s want for his side to press and regain possession as soon as possible and thereafter dominant on the ball.
Their proficiency in this department has also brought success against some of the better sides in the league - of the top-six, only City have defeated Everton since the turn of the year. This was because against these top ball playing teams, Everton have preferred to relinquish possession of the ball, remain in an organised block, looking to force the opposition into mistakes through their strong pressing ability high up the pitch.
Overall, Everton now rank inside the top-ten in the division in each of those eight specific key departments on the pitch, whereas last season they ranked inside the bottom ten in six of those eight areas.

There is no doubt Silva has done a great job of bestowing his own identity on this Everton side and implementing plenty of improvement’s across the pitch.
The Toffees have solidified themselves as a top-eight side and under the stewardship of Silva, if they can benefit from a strong summer in the transfer market, they stand a good chance of mounting a serious and sustained charge on the league's top-six next season.

I love it when the press have a dig at Allardyce.

Despite all his mates in the media, they seem to have woken up to what he is.

This season was all about turnaround so he’ll need to show he can move us forward next season.

The R word shouldn’t even be mentioned next season. We should be looking to make inroads on our abysmal away record at top 6 and derby record. We need a strong showing in the cups and he needs to secure Euro qualification. That would be progression of substance.

I expected that we would finish 7 th comfortably this season. But next season that is the least we should expect and may be better. Next season we can not accept anything less , as it would not have been difficult to achieve this season apart from the 3 to 4 months when we looked like relegation fodder. I would willingly of accepted Silva being sacked in New Year but next season has to be right,there are no excuses left. I hope he does it because we all want to see us where we all know the team should be.

I expected that we would finish 7 th comfortably this season. But next season that is the least we should expect and may be better. Next season we can not accept anything less , as it would not have been difficult to achieve this season apart from the 3 to 4 months when we looked like relegation fodder. I would willingly of accepted Silva being sacked in New Year but next season has to be right,there are no excuses left. I hope he does it because we all want to see us where we all know the team should be.
I fear this Summer could play out a bit like after Martinez' first season. We spend most of our money on retaining players we had on loan the year before, leaving very little to actually go on and inject fresh faces into the team.

Hoping with the number of players who should be sold, that shouldn't be an issue, securing Zouma, Gomes along with 2-3 other first teamers would be a good window.

I fear this Summer could play out a bit like after Martinez' first season. We spend most of our money on retaining players we had on loan the year before, leaving very little to actually go on and inject fresh faces into the team.

Hoping with the number of players who should be sold, that shouldn't be an issue, securing Zouma, Gomes along with 2-3 other first teamers would be a good window.
Let's hope we have learned some lessons of the last few seasons. I am hoping that we now have one big difference,by the name of Marcel Brands, what I have seen so far I think we should trust him to use his experience to put us on the next level and bring in players that will only improve us.

If we dont keep the majority of our spine (Gomes, Gana and Zouma) we are in for another transitional year (finishing 8-10th). So I can see Marco getting sacked next season.

This season has got to be our best run on results against the original so-called 'top 4' home and away? Only losses the dodgy decisions at the Emirates and the fluke at that place?

speaking of suit and tie: I had to address a formal gathering on Monday and was attired appropriately in a black suit etc.On the way home I popped into Auckland Hospital: a very dear friend is on his last legs (cancer...or as he calls it 'Jack the Dancer'). He's very diminished and is loaded with morphine so sleeps mostly...but he heard me come toward his bed...opened his eyes in startled fashion...he said "F*** mate, I thought you were the undertaker!" ...we both had a good laugh...possibly the last one we'll share...

speaking of suit and tie: I had to address a formal gathering on Monday and was attired appropriately in a black suit etc.On the way home I popped into Auckland Hospital: a very dear friend is on his last legs (cancer...or as he calls it 'Jack the Dancer'). He's very diminished and is loaded with morphine so sleeps mostly...but he heard me come toward his bed...opened his eyes in startled fashion...he said "F*** mate, I thought you were the undertaker!" ...we both had a good laugh...possibly the last one we'll share...

A bittersweet story. Godspeed to your friend.

I wish those Watford fans were still trolling on here!

They said we would never get Silva when we were tracking him - Got him....
Mocking us in our poor period under Silva - Finished above them...
Silva took a 6 goal thrashing as Watford manager but now Gracia has taken the biggest hiding in FA Cup history.

Status
Not open for further replies.