• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We actually haven't beaten a top six side away, in 34 attempts.I think the last win away against the top six, was at Old Trafford back when Moyes was managing United.That has to change next season.A good crack at finishing in the top six, and a good run in both cups has to be target.Anything less than that, will be failure in my eyes.
The cup runs are hard to measure because it’s largely based on the draw. We get City away early on or something like that and it’s no one’s fault if we don’t progress. Top 6 has to be the target. Despite the European runs, at least 3 of the top 6 teams are showing vulnerability.

Agree with this although I think against Watford we suffered due to the lack of squad depth. Silva gave some of the B team a run out against Newcastle and they underwhelmed, and it seems that past the first 11 playing 4-2-3-1 he doesn’t have a system he can switch to with the squad at his disposal in order to turn the tide in a football match. Instead we jus throw the strikers on and abandon playing football - not good enough for a manager or team aiming for top 6, although somewhat understandable as players like Davies, Dowell, Lookman are not up to the standard where they can come off the bench and impose themselves on a premier league game yet. With that in mind though I think it’s imperative Silva adds either a powerful CM or CF to the squad in January if possible in order to give him the option to play a different way if required. If January isn’t possible then this definitely needs adressing in the summer and from that point onwards I think there’s no excuse for dropping points at home to bottom half teams. With regards to this season, and regardless of whether or not we strengthen in Jan, I think the following are fair criteria to judge Silva’s first season as successful or not:

- Finishing 7th or above; even in a transition season we should be aiming to be better than Bournemouth and Leicester who are our closest rivals for 7th now, and with united being poor this year 6th is a real possibility if we can be consistent.

- FA cup semi final; after the league cup disappointment we need to take the FA cup seriously this year and short of drawing City away early on we should be looking to get at least a Wembley trip. We’ve already shown we can hold our own against the top 6 and shouldn’t fear any of them

- 7 or more away wins; the away form has been an issue for some time. We currently have 6 points from 7 away games (1 win, 3 draws) with 12 to go. We’ve played all of the top 6 away with the exception ignore spurs, so the remaining away fixtures are majority against team so below us - meaning that a 50% win percentage for the remaining games should be achievable.

- 12 points at home against the big 6; it’s been close away from home against them all and they all still have to come to Goodison meaning 18 points on offer. Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Liverpool all look beatable and we need to get back to taking points off these sides when they come to Goodison.

- Just win the god damn derby against the RS at Goodison.

There’s 5 there and realistically achieving some means others will likely happen too however I’d say 40% success rate would be the minimum acceptable, with 60% good and 80%+ excellent. Whilst I’m sure some people will say these targets aren’t ambitious enough (e.g. we should be winning the FA cup) I have set them based on assessing a managers first season only, and of course if Silva were to drastically exceed the criteria in any of the above then it will obviously go a long way to settling the debate in itself.

There are positive signs so far but as we know too well a season can quickly fizzle out into nothing, so it’s all still to prove for Silva and for Everton to play for.

So I'm reviving a post I made on December 15th to give me end of season review of Silva. Based on 5 achievable targets:

- Finishing 7th or above; 8th..
- FA cup semi final; Millwall
- 7 or more away wins; 5..
- 12 points at home against the big 6; 10..

Not great when you look at it like that, but I do feel much more optimistic overall. Football is a game of fine margins, and there is definite improvement in all the criteria at least. Next season we just cannot afford another run like we had though, and if we manage to avoid it then I can see us exceeding at least 3 of those targets.

And as for the last one..

- Just win the god damn derby against the RS at Goodison; .. I'm giving it to him since those two points dropped at Goodison cost them the league!

Just noticed the mighty Watford who have had the season of a lifetime under the best manager the world has ever seen in Javi Gracia, finished in the bottom half.
Funny that coz I was sure they would be all posting on here going on about Silva Snake if they finished above us..once Citeh ruin their cup final dreams they will go back to being the non entity they are.

The proof Marco Silva's Everton have well and truly left Sam Allardyce era behind
Everton finish eighth for second consecutive season but Silva has given Blues new identity and improvement in all areas
A strong display and a 2-2 draw away at Champions League finalists Tottenham Hotspur saw Everton finish their season on a high note.
That result ensured the Toffees equalled the same eighth place finish they secured last season under short-term boss Sam Allardyce.
After his arrival in the summer, it was a bright start to life at Goodison Park for Marco Silva, with his side sitting inside the top-six heading into December. Yet defeat in the Merseyside derby in December sparked a difficult period midway through the campaign which saw the Blues win just three of their following 14 league matches.
After a 17-day break in February, Everton rallied and lost just two of their final 11 league matches - five of which came against top six sides.

This great run of form saw Silva’s side make a late push towards seventh and a potential European spot. Unfortunately, they fell just short behind Wolves and were forced to settle for a repeat of last season’s positioning.
Although there was no progression in terms of their league standing, they picked up five more points in the league and there was plenty of improvement in Everton’s underlying numbers to suggest fans should be optimistic for the seasons ahead under their Portuguese manager.

Everton's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19

Everton showed a lot more attacking intent this season which was illustrated by the fact they scored 54 league goals - 10 more than they managed last season.
They also conceded just 44 league goals, that ranks them joint-fifth in the division with Wolves. This contributed to their goal difference being a huge +22 goals better off this term compared to the last.
There was also a noticeable increase in Everton’s ball possession average, from 46.5% to 51.1% and indeed their number of passes.

This is as a direct result of Silva’s willingness to try and dominate possession of the ball and be the commanding side in matches as often as possible - a blueprint of all top teams.
Everton’s increase in attacking intent is further reiterated by the number of shots and crosses they have had this season. Guided under Allardyce for the bulk of a turbulent campaign last year, Everton ranked 19th and 20th in terms of shots on goal and crosses into the box.
This season the Blues rank 9th for the number of shots on goal and fifth for the number of crosses into the box.
Everton's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman

Ranking inside the top five in this department isn’t a surprise given the level of quality Everton now possess within the flank positions. Both Lucas Digne and Seamus Coleman have proven two key attacking outlets for the Blues this season, with the like of Bernard and Richarlison also proving a threat in these areas.
Whilst not as robust in defence as Silva would have liked - particularly from set-pieces in which Everton have conceded a Premier League high 16 goals - as alluded to earlier, they boast a better defensive record than Allardyce’s Everton and possess better underlying numbers too.

The Blues allowed the opposition 524 shots on their goal last season which ranked an underwhelming 15th in the league. However this season, thanks to largely improved and settle centre-back pairing of Kurt Zouma and Michael Keane, they allowed just 363 which ranks them 4th overall in the division.
Another striking factor in Silva’s philosophy is illustrated in Everton’s Passes Per Defensive Action (PPDA) average this season. PPDA focuses on how many passes a team allows before pressing to regain the ball.
Kurt Zouma of Everton celebrates

A team who has a lower number of PPDA deploys an aggressive press, looking to regain possession as quickly as possible high up the pitch.
Everton rank joint-second this season behind only Manchester City with a PPDA average of 9.26, this further illustrates Silva’s want for his side to press and regain possession as soon as possible and thereafter dominant on the ball.
Their proficiency in this department has also brought success against some of the better sides in the league - of the top-six, only City have defeated Everton since the turn of the year. This was because against these top ball playing teams, Everton have preferred to relinquish possession of the ball, remain in an organised block, looking to force the opposition into mistakes through their strong pressing ability high up the pitch.
Overall, Everton now rank inside the top-ten in the division in each of those eight specific key departments on the pitch, whereas last season they ranked inside the bottom ten in six of those eight areas.

There is no doubt Silva has done a great job of bestowing his own identity on this Everton side and implementing plenty of improvement’s across the pitch.
The Toffees have solidified themselves as a top-eight side and under the stewardship of Silva, if they can benefit from a strong summer in the transfer market, they stand a good chance of mounting a serious and sustained charge on the league's top-six next season.

Still a D but with very encouraging finish to the season that has me quite looking forward to next year. Out of both cups far too easily and early and 14 losses, can't give higher than a D but I am optimistic things are starting to fall into place and I think we could be a force with some astute signings next year.

Have to say, I'm impressed. He used that 17 day break to sort out most of the problems. After the Wolves match at Goodison, I thought he'd go. But to turn that around takes some doing. I'm looking forward to next season.

The proof Marco Silva's Everton have well and truly left Sam Allardyce era behind
Everton finish eighth for second consecutive season but Silva has given Blues new identity and improvement in all areas
A strong display and a 2-2 draw away at Champions League finalists Tottenham Hotspur saw Everton finish their season on a high note.
That result ensured the Toffees equalled the same eighth place finish they secured last season under short-term boss Sam Allardyce.
After his arrival in the summer, it was a bright start to life at Goodison Park for Marco Silva, with his side sitting inside the top-six heading into December. Yet defeat in the Merseyside derby in December sparked a difficult period midway through the campaign which saw the Blues win just three of their following 14 league matches.
After a 17-day break in February, Everton rallied and lost just two of their final 11 league matches - five of which came against top six sides.

This great run of form saw Silva’s side make a late push towards seventh and a potential European spot. Unfortunately, they fell just short behind Wolves and were forced to settle for a repeat of last season’s positioning.
Although there was no progression in terms of their league standing, they picked up five more points in the league and there was plenty of improvement in Everton’s underlying numbers to suggest fans should be optimistic for the seasons ahead under their Portuguese manager.

Everton's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19

Everton showed a lot more attacking intent this season which was illustrated by the fact they scored 54 league goals - 10 more than they managed last season.
They also conceded just 44 league goals, that ranks them joint-fifth in the division with Wolves. This contributed to their goal difference being a huge +22 goals better off this term compared to the last.
There was also a noticeable increase in Everton’s ball possession average, from 46.5% to 51.1% and indeed their number of passes.

This is as a direct result of Silva’s willingness to try and dominate possession of the ball and be the commanding side in matches as often as possible - a blueprint of all top teams.
Everton’s increase in attacking intent is further reiterated by the number of shots and crosses they have had this season. Guided under Allardyce for the bulk of a turbulent campaign last year, Everton ranked 19th and 20th in terms of shots on goal and crosses into the box.
This season the Blues rank 9th for the number of shots on goal and fifth for the number of crosses into the box.
Everton's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman

Ranking inside the top five in this department isn’t a surprise given the level of quality Everton now possess within the flank positions. Both Lucas Digne and Seamus Coleman have proven two key attacking outlets for the Blues this season, with the like of Bernard and Richarlison also proving a threat in these areas.
Whilst not as robust in defence as Silva would have liked - particularly from set-pieces in which Everton have conceded a Premier League high 16 goals - as alluded to earlier, they boast a better defensive record than Allardyce’s Everton and possess better underlying numbers too.

The Blues allowed the opposition 524 shots on their goal last season which ranked an underwhelming 15th in the league. However this season, thanks to largely improved and settle centre-back pairing of Kurt Zouma and Michael Keane, they allowed just 363 which ranks them 4th overall in the division.
Another striking factor in Silva’s philosophy is illustrated in Everton’s Passes Per Defensive Action (PPDA) average this season. PPDA focuses on how many passes a team allows before pressing to regain the ball.

A team who has a lower number of PPDA deploys an aggressive press, looking to regain possession as quickly as possible high up the pitch.
Everton rank joint-second this season behind only Manchester City with a PPDA average of 9.26, this further illustrates Silva’s want for his side to press and regain possession as soon as possible and thereafter dominant on the ball.
Their proficiency in this department has also brought success against some of the better sides in the league - of the top-six, only City have defeated Everton since the turn of the year. This was because against these top ball playing teams, Everton have preferred to relinquish possession of the ball, remain in an organised block, looking to force the opposition into mistakes through their strong pressing ability high up the pitch.
Overall, Everton now rank inside the top-ten in the division in each of those eight specific key departments on the pitch, whereas last season they ranked inside the bottom ten in six of those eight areas.

There is no doubt Silva has done a great job of bestowing his own identity on this Everton side and implementing plenty of improvement’s across the pitch.
The Toffees have solidified themselves as a top-eight side and under the stewardship of Silva, if they can benefit from a strong summer in the transfer market, they stand a good chance of mounting a serious and sustained charge on the league's top-six next season.

Can I just remind people who are fooled by such nonsense that Fat Sam wasn't manager for the whole season, and Koeman had us in the toilet facing relegation for the first few months of it.
I bet if you took data from the beginning of November both years, those stats would look a hell of a lot different.

weird season that, finished in the same position we did last season with that fat mess in charge, out of both cups early and massively disappointingly, one of the worst runs we have been through in a while ( that spell after the derby ) however just didn't want the season to end? if we played like we did in the last dozen games or never had that seriously bad run that would have been an amazing season

if we can get zouma gomes a top striker and maybe a RB we can push the top 6 next season easily,

I gave him a C, but its a high C for what that's worth, or maybe a B- if I were feeling generous. There was a point where it looked like the job was too much for him but I wanted to wait till the end of the season to judge him and I'm glad the club stuck by him and didn't panic. He needed a strong end to the season and he just about got it, albeit with some bumps in the road.

There doesn't look to be either the appetite or the finances for more disruption and I don't think that's what this club needs in any case. Time for the manager and DOF to work closely together on some desperately needed squad surgery. There's tantalising signs that this group of player isn't far off gelling, but there's some gaps to fill, some deadweight to remove and. hopefully, some new blood to introduce.

Not sure they would have done Allardyce any favours tbh. In fact, they would probably have an even greater contrast!
taking away 2-3 months of losses and terrible performances that got Koeman the sack wouldn't make much difference??
It would make all the difference.

Everton's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19's key Premier League stats 2017/18 vs 2018/19

Everton's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman's Lucas Digne (left) celebrates with Seamus Coleman

Dramatic and decisive improvement.

The debate over Silva in/out as a serious proposition is (at the very least) put to bed for a long time.

The feller has palpably had a positive effect.

taking away 2-3 months of losses and terrible performances that got Koeman the sack wouldn't make much difference??
It would make all the difference.

The only important difference is progression of style. Allardyce was as good as he can do as he is a one trick pony. This season is transitional with a number of new players to bed in then a style of play the players have to adapt to. Allardyce was a not to lose negative unprogressive battling way which would and could not be changed and Silvas is to win every game approach with a progressive style of play. That is the only difference to be concerned about.....a building process we are in now or a survival mentality that does not aid progress..

Status
Not open for further replies.